The bravery of Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (1 Viewer)

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Sticky Post
It may not be a popular opinion here, but I believe Governor Ralph Northam is brave by his support of Representative Kathy Tran. I believe he is brave because there is no doubt the right will try to vilify him and he had no doubt they would(and which they currently are at the posting of this). He is standing up for a woman's right to choose no matter what may be said about him, and that takes character and bravery.

Bill linked here: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?191+sum+HB2491

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/31/politics/ralph-northam-third-trimester-abortion/index.html

Northam is a pediatric neurosurgeon and can speak intelligently on this subject, we should defer to his expertise.

Last edited:

crosswatt

Bulldawg was my friend
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He keeps doubling down on really, at the very least, tone deaf "explanations".

"Oh, after I looked at it, I realized it wasn't me". It may be, it may not be, there's literally no way to tell by looking at the picture. But it means you know you HAVE done it so it really doesn't matter if that pic is you or not. And then claim that you've learned a lot while describing indentured servitude as slavery as a way of informing, demonstrating that you haven't learned anything at all.

I think eventually all 3 have to go. I just don't know how Virginia is going to sort it out.
He has consistently hit the wrong notes about this issue.

I don’t think I’d have a problem with #3 guy. The one who voluntarily disclosed he dressed as a rapper for a Halloween party when he was 19 and apologized? IIRC. He might be okay. What say the Virginians on here?
As a non-practicing Republican resident of Virginia, Northam has completely botched this situation about as bad as anyone could. He's digging in, but by all rights he should resign.

Justin Fairfax should be afforded a thorough investigation on both allegations against him, but politically speaking, he needs to step down while the democratic party still has the governing structure to appoint a replacement. And his support base is abandoning him, so I don't think he's going to get his day in court so to speak, which is unfair, but looking like it's how things are going.

Mark Herring was smart enough to get out in front of his potential scandal, and can survive this quite easily, assuming the other two drop out. If they continue to drag the "ticket" down, it may end up completely changing the dynamic of the state, as fourth in line for the governorship is the GOP House of Delegates Speaker Kirk Cox.

What SHOULD happen, in my uneducated opinion, is that Fairfax and Northam should resign, effective immediately, and Herring appoint a replacement Lieutenant Governor and Attorney General.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It seems that polling has suggested that the voters in Va aren’t in a big hurry to get rid of any of them. I’m going from memory because I heard it on the radio. Seems like I remember them saying that ~60% of voters thought Northam should stay, and IIRC that was the same percentage among black voters (or maybe black democrats?) as well.

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
What's hilarious ATM is GOV Moonwalk thinks he should stay but Fairfax and Herring should resign.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Oh my. Was he always this clueless, guys? He’s coming across as a very dense person.

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
Oh my. Was he always this clueless, guys? He’s coming across as a very dense person.

Honestly and this is just IMO but when in comes to Northam I think Va just got duped. I know a decent bit of people that voted for him and I have never heard a bad word about him they all said he was a great guy an awesome Dr. and seemed to do a decent job as Lt. Gov. Then 2 weeks ago happened. I'm not debating the 3rd trimester abortion issue but I will just say the way he described it well wasn't good. Then came the blackface/KKK picture issue and well then the wheels came off. I mean seriously if it wasn't for his wife he would have literally moonwalked in that press conference. I don't know if he is in over his head as Gov or what but this doesn't seem like the Ralph Northam from before 2 weeks ago.

*disclaimer I'm an idiot and refer to cross on this issue*

Edit: I meant to say not just people that voted for him but a decent bit that actually know him

Last edited:

B4YOU

All-Pro
Reaction score
It seems that polling has suggested that the voters in Va aren’t in a big hurry to get rid of any of them. I’m going from memory because I heard it on the radio. Seems like I remember them saying that ~60% of voters thought Northam should stay, and IIRC that was the same percentage among black voters (or maybe black democrats?) as well.
If you are a VA politician, then right now is the time to open the closet. I don't think any of the 3 are leaving. There is a scandal saturation point where the electorate just shrugs. It is one of the core principles of the Trump admin. VA has reached the saturation point. Maybe the Lt Gov gets in trouble if the allegations are proven, but if there isn't hard evidence then no resignation.

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
LOL had ANY of these men been republicans the outcry and media focus would be so intense they would have to resign.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
LOL had ANY of these men been republicans the outcry and media focus would be so intense they would have to resign.
Or they would have been put on the Supreme Court, either one.

crosswatt

Bulldawg was my friend
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There has literally been zero public statements by any public figure in support of Northam or Fairfax, and a universal call for them to resign. Media and the entirety of the democratic party have asked both to step down. I really don't understand what point you were trying to make by obfuscating this with hyper-partisan drivel.

crosswatt

Bulldawg was my friend
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly and this is just IMO but when in comes to Northam I think Va just got duped. I know a decent bit of people that voted for him and I have never heard a bad word about him they all said he was a great guy an awesome Dr. and seemed to do a decent job as Lt. Gov. Then 2 weeks ago happened. I'm not debating the 3rd trimester abortion issue but I will just say the way he described it well wasn't good. Then came the blackface/KKK picture issue and well then the wheels came off. I mean seriously if it wasn't for his wife he would have literally moonwalked in that press conference. I don't know if he is in over his head as Gov or what but this doesn't seem like the Ralph Northam from before 2 weeks ago.

*disclaimer I'm an idiot and refer to cross on this issue*

Edit: I meant to say not just people that voted for him but a decent bit that actually know him
From everything I've ever heard, he is a good pediatrician who cares for his patients, and has had a good reputation. Obviously, he has a certain level of racial insensitivity that is not uncommon among rurally raised white males of a certain age and privilege. I don't say racist because I don't think the he particularly dislikes any race for any reason, but just doesn't have a functioning comprehension as to the experiences other people have faced in their life.

He's exactly the type who knows how many people of color he has had in his home and thinks of it is a positive. And thinks that he is a good man with a disarmingly warm personality who can "fix this" by just being nice and self deprecating. I think Bob is right and he's just way out of his depth as the top man.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Or they would have been put on the Supreme Court, either one.
And the winner is.... @mt15, come on down! You've just won an all expense paid trip around the PDB and back with an open bar (must provide your own liquor) on a ship captained by @BobE (He'll bring his own liquor too).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom