The Breakers are Back ! (1 Viewer)

For any prehistoric geezers like myself, the USFL’s New Orleans Breakers were the first winning pro football team we had in NOLA in my lifetime .. at least for half a season, lol

957D6505-B76B-4BE0-99B0-246E8ADC1DFB.jpeg

FC805BE0-5AAD-4109-9956-FD6889EBBA89.jpeg

Here’s some of my Breakers stories. I was a senior in HS. Saints were one of the most boring teams to watch at the time. Bum Phillips, 3 runs of 3 yds each means we punt a lot in 1983. Then this commercial pops up. Irene Cara’s “What a Feeling” comes on. Footage of this USFL team in Boston starts rolling. Johnnie Walton firing flea flickers. Wacky plays. Deep passes. I’m hooked. I get season tix at the Dome for Xmas.

The games were great if you wanted offense. Coach Dick Coury had a weekly TV show. If you send in a play, they’ll pick one to run the next week!

They had a contest, they’d pick a ticket stub at every home game. If you got picked you had a chance for a range of prizes, a year’s supply of beer, a trip somewhere, etc. First prize was a house in Slidell. My dad won 2nd prize, the outstanding American machine, a 1984 Dodge Charger! Okay, it wasn’t the greatest car ever, but it met some needs and the price was right. 😜

Next year, they went head to head with NFL. Team moved to Portland because they had no place to play. Broke my heart. Lots of great memories.

Attachments

• 4665F9FD-27C1-4488-AB4A-B68235376589.jpeg
    4665F9FD-27C1-4488-AB4A-B68235376589.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 5
Here’s some of my Breakers stories. I was a senior in HS. Saints were one of the most boring teams to watch at the time. Bum Phillips, 3 runs of 3 yds each means we punt a lot in 1983. Then this commercial pops up. Irene Cara’s “What a Feeling” comes on. Footage of this USFL team in Boston starts rolling. Johnnie Walton firing flea flickers. Wacky plays. Deep passes. I’m hooked. I get season tix at the Dome for Xmas.

The games were great if you wanted offense. Coach Dick Coury had a weekly TV show. If you send in a play, they’ll pick one to run the next week!

They had a contest, they’d pick a ticket stub at every home game. If you got picked you had a chance for a range of prizes, a year’s supply of beer, a trip somewhere, etc. First prize was a house in Slidell. My dad won 2nd prize, the outstanding American machine, a 1984 Dodge Charger! Okay, it wasn’t the greatest car ever, but it met some needs and the price was right. 😜

Next year, they went head to head with NFL. Team moved to Portland because they had no place to play. Broke my heart. Lots of great memories.

Actually found one of my old Breakers ticket stubs.. What i remember about our seats is that two Saints players at that time, Hokie Gajan and QB Dave Wilson , had the seats right in front of ours.. To a 10 yr old me, talk about worlds colliding! Couldn’t believe they were just eating hot dogs and drinking beer, watching the game like normal people lol

8C08D2CB-7303-4493-863B-29AE84BEC3B1.jpeg

Actually found one of my old Breakers ticket stubs.. What i remember about our seats is that two Saints players at that time, Hokie Gajan and QB Dave Wilson , had the seats right in front of ours.. To a 10 yr old me, talk about worlds colliding! Couldn’t believe they were just eating hot dogs and drinking beer, watching the game like normal people lol

8C08D2CB-7303-4493-863B-29AE84BEC3B1.jpeg
I have one of mine somewhere around here too, as well as a bumper sticker.

Dont know if its been mentioned earlier but despite each team being "assigned" a particular city.

All teams will play all of their games...........in Birmingham.

Maybe the dumbest idea in American sports history.

That's a great deal for Birmingham. Horrible all of the other teams. So they get a full season of homefield advantage..and all of the ticket sales for the league. That's fair.

Can anyone tell me what a "breaker" is and why the logo looks like nature pepsi?

I think the original USFL might still be around or some of the teams might have been absorbed into the NFL if it wasn't for the natural disaster that is Donald Trump....I'm rooting for this version

Can anyone tell me what a "breaker" is and why the logo looks like nature pepsi?

A ‘breaker’ is like a breaking wave , when it breaks and becomes all foamy.. and it made sense since they were originally the Boston Breakers.. but Louisiana has lots of water as well (‘break’ing news, pun intended) so it also makes sense in New Orleans , though not as alliterative as it was in Boston.

The logo is simply a Rorschach test.. you seeing ‘nature Pepsi’ says some things about you that you dont wanna know.

Dang, I always thought Breakers had a dance/hip hop meaning behind it.

I think the original USFL might still be around or some of the teams might have been absorbed into the NFL if it wasn't for the natural disaster that is Donald Trump....I'm rooting for this version
They would’ve stayed around if they stayed in the spring. Remember they had a nice ABC spot since day 1.
With FOX behind this, I don’t see how this fails. The only wild card is it’s potential competition with the XFL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom