The Brees Injury and 2020 (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I am not suggesting that, because of the injury to Brees, this season for the Saints is over. I think we will remain competitive. But I am suggesting that all thoughts of a major trade to acquire Fitzpatrick or Ramsay have vanished, that the Brees window has likely closed, and that the Saints will draft in 2020 their quarterback of the future in a huge trade.

The Super Bowl victory aside, the most significant NFL development for the Saints in the last 10-12 years was Kansas City trading up to 10, one pick before we selected, to draft Patrick Mahones. Incidentally, at 12, Houston traded up to pick Watson.

We will not enter another season with the three quarterbacks we have. Because of Brees, we have understandably pushed back the time to draft his successor, though in my view we have also foolishly expended future draft picks to satisfy short-term needs. For example, we traded in 2018 two first-round picks for a higher pick to select Davenport, and then in 2019 we have to give up our second round pick in 2020 to move up in the second round to pick McCoy. And yes, McCoy was a great pick, but eventually trading away multiple future picks exacts a steep price.

See it the same way. I think it's probably a good year to find Drew's successor. Looks like this draft class could be pretty good at QB.

I am not suggesting that, because of the injury to Brees, this season for the Saints is over. I think we will remain competitive. But I am suggesting that all thoughts of a major trade to acquire Fitzpatrick or Ramsay have vanished, that the Brees window has likely closed, and that the Saints will draft in 2020 their quarterback of the future in a huge trade.

The Super Bowl victory aside, the most significant NFL development for the Saints in the last 10-12 years was Kansas City trading up to 10, one pick before we selected, to draft Patrick Mahones. Incidentally, at 12, Houston traded up to pick Watson.

We will not enter another season with the three quarterbacks we have. Because of Brees, we have understandably pushed back the time to draft his successor, though in my view we have also foolishly expended future draft picks to satisfy short-term needs. For example, we traded in 2018 two first-round picks for a higher pick to select Davenport, and then in 2019 we have to give up our second round pick in 2020 to move up in the second round to pick McCoy. And yes, McCoy was a great pick, but eventually trading away multiple future picks exacts a steep price.

Bad luck with KC jumping over us for Mahomes, and yes, Watson would have been a great pick also.

Davenport looked pretty good vs. the Rams. Might be worth it. Time will tell. That being said, unless it is too good to pass up, I am really over trading away early draft picks for now.

My opinion is that our future QB is already in the building... and he wears number (7)... but I would not be the least bit disappointed if number (5) turns into a great QB for us. You just never know. Both are learning under the master, and not all QB's are studs right out of the gate like Mahomes and Watson. Some may remember that even Drew Brees was pretty terrible his first two seasons as a starter in San Diego. I am more directing that towards Hill, but Bridgewater was fairly decent as a starter in Minnesota in his first couple of seasons, so we will see.

Yep, I stated in another thread that I hate the Drew injury but it may end up being a blessing. To have a high pick in what is projected to be a QB rich draft allows us to draft the future of the franchise.

It will be a tough pill to swallow but it’s beneficial to do it now. I trust that Sean will pick the right guy, he did have Mahomes rated as the top guy the year he can out...seems that he was correct.

I agree fundamentally that they need to draft a QB in 2020. It doesn't matter how much longer Brees plays. It's just the right time in my view. No trades, no third round trial balloons: we need Brees's successor. I have seen no evidence that Bridgewater can fill that role. None. Trades cost draft picks, but a trade up might be in order this time. That means a first round quarterback.

I have no suggestions because I don't follow college football. But Sean Payton probably does, and Ireland and his scouts do. They have done a masterful job so far, so there's plenty of evidence to suggest they can find the right QB, assuming that the next group of QB prospects has that guy.

So we are 1-1 and this year is over ? maybe Drew will play another 3 years, we don't know. Rambo is going at it again and he's close to 70 !
Yeah. I like how you think Natedog. I hear alot of Saints need to do this and that like the season is over. C'mon people we 2 games into the season and y'all act like it's over. Give this a chance. I mean give it at least half the season before talking bout next year. Geezus. :gosaints:

I don’t see Brees retiring this season , his reaction to the injury doesn’t seem like someone ready to retire , if it were an ACL type injury maybe but I feel he doesn’t want to end on a half season

if the pick is there this draft even if you have to trade up for it make the move

But don’t reach especially if you have to bundle picks to move up , We can’t afford to risk 1st round pick from upcoming drafts in a “project”

I don't believe Brees will retire after this year, but that is a strong possibility during the next few years.

This is a huge 'prove it' time for Bridgewater. Either he will show himself to be the Saints QB of the future or not. If not, there's a very strong possibility that the Saints will draft a QB next year - given the amount of QB talent in the upcoming draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait one more year, though - all depending on where they pick. If you'd asked me 6 months ago, I would have said there was only one team that would definitely draft a QB this year. Granted that number always grows, but the number of teams that now appear to be 'in the market' has really gone up in the past month. If the Saints pull of a decent year (still a decent possibility) they may be out of the running for a top QB in this draft. As always, we'll wait and see.

I don't believe Brees will retire after this year, but that is a strong possibility during the next few years.

I'm always concerned when "older" athletes get seriously injured and have to miss significant time.

So much of continuing on for athletes past the typical retirement age is the rigidity of the schedule and the competitive grind with their teammates. Once they are removed from that to recover or rehab and they gradually come to terms with watching their teammates go on without them, I think the idea of retirement becomes more appealing.

Not saying -- in any way that Brees would fall in this category. However, he's a very dedicated family man with 4 young children and multiple business ventures and philanthropic involvements. I could see him looking at the sum of his career and deciding that he's done enough to be satisfied -- especially when looking at a potential surgery/recovery. Again, not saying this is where he is -- but that I wouldn't be shocked if he decided he'd had enough.

If we win 1 out of the 6 games he is out, we still have good hopes for playoff s and Superbowl. But we have to have other major injuries

I don't think any of that will happen. Payton is straight up telling you that he isn't playing around about Taysom Hill. Secondly, Brees is straight up telling you he plans to keep going like Tom Brady. The wildcard here will be how long Brees goes vs. Hill's age. I think even for Payton that part is all unknown.

In my mind Bridgewater is here for stability as Hill develops and to keep us afloat in such a scenario as this.

Even if we took a QB high, that would only serve to ignite new fire in Drew. Brees isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future. As I said, he has openly said he wants to do exactly what Brady is doing.

I know it may seem crazy, but I'm oddly more excited about our upcoming games, I guess it's just not knowing what to expect that's getting me anxious for Sunday. I'm honestly comfortable with Teddy, I think he just needs some time to adjust, our Defense is trending upward, with the exception of a few plays, different style? Yeah. I think we can be successful with what we have.

So we are 1-1 and this year is over ? maybe Drew will play another 3 years, we don't know. Rambo is going at it again and he's close to 70 !
Yea not to mention we haven't played anyone in the division yet. I understand why some are in panic mode but the season isn't over yet, it just may be a blessing that our divisional games are all loaded on the back in of the season.

Just hold steady win as many games as possible get a ton of players back healthy and we could go on a hot streak or run into the playoffs.

I like our chances @ 5-3 right now, this may be what the defense needs to get on the same page and focused there going to be the strongest unit on the team now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom