The Brees Injury and 2020 (1 Viewer)

I am not suggesting that, because of the injury to Brees, this season for the Saints is over. I think we will remain competitive. But I am suggesting that all thoughts of a major trade to acquire Fitzpatrick or Ramsay have vanished, that the Brees window has likely closed, and that the Saints will draft in 2020 their quarterback of the future in a huge trade.

The Super Bowl victory aside, the most significant NFL development for the Saints in the last 10-12 years was Kansas City trading up to 10, one pick before we selected, to draft Patrick Mahones. Incidentally, at 12, Houston traded up to pick Watson.

We will not enter another season with the three quarterbacks we have. Because of Brees, we have understandably pushed back the time to draft his successor, though in my view we have also foolishly expended future draft picks to satisfy short-term needs. For example, we traded in 2018 two first-round picks for a higher pick to select Davenport, and then in 2019 we have to give up our second round pick in 2020 to move up in the second round to pick McCoy. And yes, McCoy was a great pick, but eventually trading away multiple future picks exacts a steep price.
until hill has proven he isnt drews replacement then im not in the camp of we need to draft our next QB

but with that said, if hill can be brees replacement then we still would need, at some point, a backup for hill any way, so yes a QB will need to be drafted after brees has retired, but not just yet in my book.

as it stands now, im willing to give teddy a chance at a full weeks prep to show what he can do but im not expecting him to magically start being decisive and not seem scared to throw it. the knock on his throwing motion is also a legit complaint in that if your arms moves different every time you throw it, then even you dont know for certain how accurate your throws will be.

teddy had a 1 1/2 season of success with the vikes, but since his injury, from what i have seen of him, it looks like he hasnt done anything to work on body mechanics, reading defenses, and quick decisive decision making. in short, it doesnt appear he has prepared himself to be ready to be a starter despite claims to the contrary. a wise man once said, people can tell you a lot of BS but the truth is in what they show you as far as if they are ready

I support the team's decisions to trade up for short term needs to take advantage of Drew's closing window. I agree this next draft is the time to try to get Drew's successor and let him be mentored by Drew. I think if we picked Mahomes we would have had a qb controversy, and I am good with how that worked out. A lot will depend on these next 6 games. Either we are buried for SB contention this year and moving up in the draft is easier, or we still have a shot this year and moving up would take more ammo.

The wildcard here will be how long Brees goes vs. Hill's age
The good thing about this is that Hill's chronological age and pro football age are two different things since he went on his Mormon mission for a few years after graduating college before entering the NFL. He doesn't have the wear and tear of anyone his age in the league.

The good thing about this is that Hill's chronological age and pro football age are two different things since he went on his Mormon mission for a few years after graduating college before entering the NFL. He doesn't have the wear and tear of anyone his age in the league.

That's something Taysom Hill and Steve Young don't have in common. Steve Young didn't do his Mormon mission. He said being in the public eye as a NFL QB was like doing a mission - or something like that. I mean I'm sure during Steve's NFL career he rode a stationary bike at least once - although not wearing dress clothes. Lol

I don’t see Drew retiring after this season now. He’s a guy who will want to give it one more run his terms.

Mentioned in another thread, but the only positive about all this is that it will give us an idea if Drew’s successor is in the building. If we are 5-3 or even a respectable/competitive 4-4 and Teddy shows some promise as the full-time starter? Then awesome.

But if we struggle and it’s clear the future QB isn’t in the building, this is the perfect draft to find him.

I am not suggesting that, because of the injury to Brees, this season for the Saints is over. I think we will remain competitive. But I am suggesting that all thoughts of a major trade to acquire Fitzpatrick or Ramsay have vanished, that the Brees window has likely closed, and that the Saints will draft in 2020 their quarterback of the future in a huge trade.

The Super Bowl victory aside, the most significant NFL development for the Saints in the last 10-12 years was Kansas City trading up to 10, one pick before we selected, to draft Patrick Mahones. Incidentally, at 12, Houston traded up to pick Watson.

We will not enter another season with the three quarterbacks we have. Because of Brees, we have understandably pushed back the time to draft his successor, though in my view we have also foolishly expended future draft picks to satisfy short-term needs. For example, we traded in 2018 two first-round picks for a higher pick to select Davenport, and then in 2019 we have to give up our second round pick in 2020 to move up in the second round to pick McCoy. And yes, McCoy was a great pick, but eventually trading away multiple future picks exacts a steep price.
Spot on!!
We should have never blown the draft picks for teddy and Davenport
Just this mans opinion

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom