The Breonna Taylor Murder (2 Viewers)

I don’t know the details of the case, so I don’t have much of an opinion.

I do know the 12 million was because there was negligence involved that the legal council for the department felt would lead to a monetary settlement, so they made a deal. However, negligence isn’t necessarily criminal negligence. The jury believed the negligence didn’t rise to the level of criminal.

Once again, I’m not saying agree or disagree. I don’t understand the case well enough to have an opinion.

i could buy that if it was a one million settlement - then i could buy the argument that it was a 'throw some money at it to make it go away' situation

But not 12

If there was enough negligence to justify a 12 million dollar payout there HAD to be some criminal negligence too

i could buy that if it was a one million settlement - then i could buy the argument that it was a 'throw some money at it to make it go away' situation

But not 12

If there was enough negligence to justify a 12 million dollar payout there HAD to be some criminal negligence too

I have a sneaky suspicion that the amount received in settlements like this has more to do with the quality of your legal representation than what is fair.

If we had ended the war on drugs, this would not have happened.
Or if we never embarked upon the "war on drugs", this would not have happened.

This "war", started by Nixon (doubled down by Reagan), was definitely a dark turning point in the lives of black folks in America.

OJ. Acquitted in criminal trial, ordered to pay $33 million in civil trial. And that was over 20 years ago.

OJ - Arrested, charged, tried and Acquitted in criminal trial then found liable in a later civil trial

You remember how mad white people were when the verdict was read? imagine if there wasn't even an arrest

OJ - Arrested, charged, tried and Acquitted in criminal trial then found liable in a later civil trial

You remember how mad white people were when the verdict was read? imagine if there wasn't even an arrest

I dunno. The whole OJ saga was stranger than fiction. I was somewhat surprised with the acquittal, but him getting bit by the $33 million civil suit kinda made up for it.

I dunno. The whole OJ saga was stranger than fiction. I was somewhat surprised with the acquittal, but him getting bit by the $33 million civil suit kinda made up for it.

maybe this is the reverse situation - the city knew there wasn't even going to be a trial to be acquitted from so to "make up for it" they announce this big settlement beforehand

I'm also a bit skeptical and cynical about the 1 witness out of 12 who heard the police identify themselves

I'd wonder if that witness has some legal/fine/tax issues (or someone close to them does) that would magically go away if they said the heard the police

I’m not comparing the two cases. I simply gave an example where no criminal liability was found but the civil settlement was substantial.

What I heard from the AG yesterday was they asked the FBI to conduct an investigation to find out who shot the fatal bullet since the local results were inconclusive. The FBI determined the fatal bullet was shot by Cosgrove.

This is why I previously said the one officer's only mistake was blindly firing where he could not see. If the FBI determined that firing blindly through the window killed Breonna Taylor he would have been indicted with some charge related to her death. At the same time, if he had been able to see the situation unfold through the window and ended up killing Taylor, he would not have been charged because his use of lethal force would have been justified in defense of his fellow officers. And those bullets that went into neighboring apartments would have seen no charges.

This is why I previously said the one officer's only mistake was blindly firing where he could not see. If the FBI determined that firing blindly through the window killed Breonna Taylor he would have been indicted with some charge related to her death. At the same time, if he had been able to see the situation unfold through the window and ended up killing Taylor, he would not have been charged because his use of lethal force would have been justified in defense of his fellow officers. And those bullets that went into neighboring apartments would have seen no charges.

I don’t think so. He’s charged because the shots went into an unrelated apartment. Any shots at Taylor are considered self defense because she was standing in a dark hallway next to a person firing at police.

Something that's both interesting & sad about this case is that, had this actually been executed as a no-knock warrant, Breonna is probably still alive today because Walker probably would have never had time to get his gun.
It would only be interesting if you were to believe that they knocked and announced themselves 6 or seven times like they stated in their earlier reports. I don't believe those reports because of Walker's actions. Once the shots ceased, he called 911 and said "somebody kicked in the door and shot my girlfriend", which tells me that he still did not know that they were police.

Had the police just busted down the door, I'm pretty confident that both Taylor and Walker would be dead today because the police would have been able to reach them just as Walker was acquiring his weapon.

It would only be interesting if you were to believe that they knocked and announced themselves 6 or seven times like they stated in their earlier reports. I don't believe those reports because of Walker's actions. Once the shots ceased, he called 911 and said "somebody kicked in the door and shot my girlfriend", which tells me that he still did not know that they were police.

Had the police just busted down the door, I'm pretty confident that both Taylor and Walker would be dead today because the police would have been able to reach them just as Walker was acquiring his weapon.
Was the clown really necessary for my comment? Walker, himself stated that the police banged on the door multiple times giving him enough time to throw some clothes on and get his gun. You may be right that they may have gotten there just as he made it to his gun, but I also think it's possible that they got to the bedroom before that. It's just an observation, I'm not trying to make any sort of statement or argument if that's what you're thinking.

Last edited:
Was the clown really necessary for my comment? Walker, himself stated that the police banged on the door multiple times giving him enough time to throw some clothes on and get his gun. You may be right that they may have gotten there just as he made it to his gun, but I also think it's possible that they got to the bedroom before that. It's just an observation, in not trying to make any sort of statement Or argument if that's what you're thinking.
No, I thought I took it back. Yes, Walker said that they heard banging on the door, but they did not hear them announce POLICE. Walker also has said that Taylor repeatedly asked "WHO IS IT?", now seeing how both Taylor and Walker are law abiding citizens, you would have to believe that Walker would not have opened fire at the police had they identified themselves.

I know I'm late to the thread it I was just wondering.
Why is no one trying to hold the judge who approved the warrant accountable?
Since the suspect was already in custody and was an ex-boyfriend of Taylor.
Isn't the warrant irresponsible?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom