The Buck Came Back - A Huntin' Story, Sorta (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
When you live in a rural area, there are certain happenings that grow and grow with each retelling until everybody knows the story and every parent tells their kid about it every time they pass by the landmark where it took place.

Tonight, my daughter came home with such a tale from the local gas station.

"Dad! Dad! You won't believe what happened tonight!" she said, holding her ribs and laughing.
"You're laughing, so I guess you didn't get robbed," I smirked.
"No, no! Listen! This 11-year-old girl and her grandpa pulled up in a pickup truck. The girl had shot her first buck. It was a nice 8-pointer. Really nice!" she said, demonstrating the size of the rack by spreading her fingers above the sides of her head.
"First buck is a big deal in these parts for girls and boys," I nodded.
"Yeah! Well, her shot was where it should have been but just a little high. Shattered a vertebra at the base of the neck. Well, the old man started waiving folks over to brag about the kill and all of a sudden, the deer jumped to its feet!" she said, her eyes bulging in mock surprise.
"Oh . . . dear," I punned.
"One of the guys jumped in and grabbed the deer's antlers and he got in there and wrestled it down," she said, demonstrating the classic antler grab and twist move.
"Those things are damn strong! Did he get hurt?" I asked.
"Another redneck ran to his truck and came running back with knife, and by the time I got over there, he's sawing on the deer's neck! This is at the gas pumps, where people are pulling up! It was crazy!" she said, waiving her arms in the air.
"How many rednecks does it take to kill a wounded deer, anyway? Never mind," I shook my head and chuckled.
"Oh, they got it done, finally. By then there was blood every damn where. I had to go back inside to get a bucket and clean it up. Two old ladies pulled up. They were scared to come in and I had to tell them not to worry, it was deer blood, not people blood." she nodded.
"You're going to be pretty busy tomorrow too," I said.
"Tomorrow? What makes you think that?" she said, looking a bit puzzled.
"Sweetie, half the county is going to stop by tomorrow to see the spot where that kid's first buck came back to life!" I smiled.
"Oh, my gosh, you're right! Her grandpa is a preacher that knows everybody!"

You know, when I was a boy, my uncle had a squirrel come back to life in his hunting vest back pouch. His moves looked similar to the universal "Help! I'm Covered in Fire Ants!" dance that we all know so well. "That's why you'll never see me in one them fancy store bought vests," my father said, holding up the burlap bag he normally tied to his belt.

Anybody else had experiences with a shot critter coming back to life?

I hate being "that guy" but I have initial questions. Who doesn't gut the deer before putting it in the truck because, at least up here, a decent buck like that would be pushing 200 lbs. Tough to wrestle those very far...especially a grandpa and an 11 year old.

That being said I took my nephew out with me for his first time when he was about 13. He just sat with me because he'd never been hunting. Had an 8 point come bounding over the ridge right after we heard a shot. It had been shot in the front leg and was hobbling on 3. He stopped in front of us and I laid him down with one shot. Never took another step. We gather our stuff and walk over to him and are admiring him. While I'm getting my knife out to field dress him he jumps up and takes off. We just stand there looking at each other not believing what we just witnessed.
I knew I had hit him pretty decent so we waited a bit then went down the ridge to a pond I knew was down there. Found him laid up by the pond. I've shot over 30 deer in my life and I remember every one but that one definitely stands out a bit over the others.

I hate being "that guy" but I have initial questions. Who doesn't gut the deer before putting it in the truck because, at least up here, a decent buck like that would be pushing 200 lbs. Tough to wrestle those very far...especially a grandpa and an 11 year old.

Agreed. Grandpa should have shown the kid how field dress the deer.

One time I was driving home at dusk and some hunters with dogs drove a deer right out of the woods next to me. It was hefty buck with a big rack and he lowered his head and rammed my Monte Carlo just in front of the driver's door and rolled along the side of the car, taking off the sideview mirror and denting the sheet metal.

I stopped. So did the guy behind me. We walked back and the deer was laying on the shoulder on its side, tongue hanging out, eyes glazed. I turned to go back to my car to get a tire iron to make sure it was dead. When I popped the trunk open, the deer staggered to its feet, snorted and eyeballed me. I froze and prepared to dive under the car if needed.

He shook his head and bounded off into the bushes, easily clearing a four-foot barbed wire fence.

To this day, my wife has her doubts.

"You hit the deer!"
"No, sweetie, the deer hit me!"

I remember hearing a recording of a guy making a 911 call from a phone booth. He had put a deer in his Cadillac that had been hit by a car.

He was pretty damn distressed that the deer had come to and was tearing the hell out of his Caddy.

I had that happen with a duck once. Wasn't quite as dramatic. I owned that damn duck, rung his neck and put him back with the others.

It happened to me once. My buddy and I were on a regional sales trip, I was in the auto parts biz at that time. Brake pads to be exact. Anyway, we hit a deer on some back road in my buddy’s sweet ‘67 Plymouth. It was his pride and joy.

We felt bad about killing it (and leaving it) so we loaded it up in the backseat and drove on - we were gonna take it to a butcher. About an hour later, all hell broke loose.

It trashed my buddy’s car, but it was awesome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom