The carnival food during Mardi Gras... (1 Viewer)

killah

Very Bland
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I love it. Give me an Italian sausage with extra peppers and mustard. I am not into funnel cakes. I would rather go to Cafe Du monde for that sort of thing and eat beignets. Of course I have to have Popeyes chicken before Mardi Gras is over but I will eat Carni food three times this year before the end of Fat Tuesday.

Those carni trucks will be gone before you know it just like football season. I saw them setting up last night on St. Chuck. They were standing around like tourists smoking cigarettes waiting for something to happen. I had to tell them the parades start Friday night, they knew and said, "we are carni folk, we are here to feed you." Just as that happened the carni truck pulled up not with midgets or circus clowns but the great kitchen on wheels that feeds me during this time of year.

Where are these people from? How do you get into the carni truck italian sausage selling business? My best guess is it something passed down from family to family. Where do they go after Mardi Gras? Are these people decendents of the European Gypsies that used to migrate from town to town?

If anyone knows about this secret business post your stories please.

I don't know about those travelin carni carts, but here in NYC, most of them are independently owned carts.

one of those corndogs is just the thing at 1 a.m. on ash wednesday.

a few years ago, a couple of friends of mine came up with what they called the perfect mardi gras food. you get a 6 piece spicy from popeyes, six biscuits, two large red beans and rice, two large dirty rice, mash together the dirty rice, the red beans and the biscuits, remove the skin from the chicken and add that to the mixture in small pieces. i don't think anyone ever tried it. it only exists in theory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom