The Case Against Benching Marcus Williams (1 Viewer)

There’s no “case against benching Marcus Williams”. It absolutely needs to happen!

Williams is awful... he appears to have lost all of his confidence, and he’s a big play waiting to happen for opposing offenses.

The Saints should explore trade options to address the FS position... Justin Simmons, Marcus Maye, Anthony Harris, Justin Reid, Jessie Bates III, even Troy Apke would be an upgrade...

If they can’t find a deal to get a new FS in there, then give the job to DJ Swearinger! Swearinger is a veteran and plays with passion and fire. He’s not the athlete that MW is, but he’s a much better tackler, and he seriously can’t be any worse! Heck, I’d even get on board with starting CJGJ at FS and putting PJ Williams back in the slot or P-Rob.
Plain as day.

So...one double Super Bowl winner and all pro and another proven veteran talent can't pick up the scheme?
Man you're so nasty to people with a different perspective. You called me a troll then rip this guys head off. Chill bro.

I wanted Winfield so bad in the draft. To make it worse he went to the Bucs

Marcus is fine - any deserved condemnations for last game are to CJC, and as he is not being mentioned, this fails to qualify as a critical analysis of what's wrong with the secondary.

CJC is young - They'll all get it together. You all are wringing your hands when you should be getting hype.

Aaron Glenn was the assistant coach on the WWL coaches show tonight. When asked about the busted coverages he mostly blamed it on Malcom and Jack Rabbit not having as much time with the unit as Marcus and Marshon. And that their communication isn't where it needs to be yet.

I don’t believe this one bit! If you notice ever since the Vikings miracle play the coaches never blame Williams. Even multiple reports come out and state he messed up. I really believe the coaches know he gets in his own head and ever got over the Vikings game. They are babying him instead of placing blame when it’s needed. Everyone else gets called out on defense... Shon, Jenkins, Jack rabbit. Can anyone find one time coaches ever blamed MW? Even after a horrible year 2/3. Coach came out and said it was his fault, for making the defense to complex. We can’t hold his hand forever, just because he never got over the worst play in Saints history

I have no faith in him. I’d see who’s available for a trade as insurance because we don’t have much depth at his position

You all are wringing your hands when you should be getting hype.

Man I want to get to that hype so bad. I really do. I love great defense. I've been excited every preseason that the Saints D would finally be a top unit going as far back as when we signed Kevin Kaesviharn in free agency for goodness sakes. I guess I'm just all hyped out at this point.

I'd lose my mind if we somehow made a trade for Harrison Smith. Hell, I'd like the other safety (Harris) as well.

It's time to put Marcus in the rear view mirror.

There is no CASE, just the typical SR.com witch hunt on a designated Saints Player. It's a tradition at this point.
I do agree that there is a predictable overreaction on this board, sometimes too high in our praise and oftentimes jumping to grand conclusions about players. In this case, however, I do really believe that Williams has played very poorly and is all too often out of place as a play develops. In addition his tackling IMO has not improved over the last 3 years. Now I honestly don't see anyone on the current roster coming in to replace him, which for my money will be an ongoing problem this season absent a trade for a starting safety. I also want to acknowledge that, again in my view, that there is a coaching component as there are others on defense who don't seem to be playing to their potential. That also probably cannot be solved until the offseason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom