The Case Against Benching Marcus Williams (1 Viewer)

If that was his busted coverage today I believe it is the first egregious one I remember this year. It certainly looked bad but I can't say I'm 100% sure Jenkins wasn't supposed to roll to the top and he was supposed to crash down. You can't bash PFF grading and at the same time assume you know what the coverage responsibility is. I think it was on him but I'd like to know for sure before I'd start making benching accusations.

As a layman of pass coverages, I can only say he is not making plays on the ball at the same clip. He's been a step behind when on the screen. So I think he needs to play better but I don't think he's responsible for all the busted coverages. I'd hazard a guess most of those have happened away from his side. I think he is our rangiest deep safety and has ball skills. I do wonder if he's lost some range trying to bulk up. I don't think we have a better deep safety skillset on the roster regardless. Every one of our safeties has screwed up but he is the most likely to be able to recover.

Finally, and this is very important, how is he playing when the ball isn't thrown at his responsibility. I wouldn't say he's been abused by QB going after him repeatedly. Is that because he is doing his job at times or he is just one of many bads out there and it's random chance. I can't answer that question. I'd need several unbiased opinions to break down all his snaps.

Unfortunately, that kind of information isn't readily available. So as long as the Saints keep giving him 100% snaps I'm going to assume he is our best option. From the limited information I have it has been bad this year but it's the best bad we got. I'd look elsewhere for a quick fix.

I looked at that play a few times. They ran the same one in the 2nd half and Lattimore and Jenkins had the deep post responsibility, so I can only assume that is who was supposed to cover on this play. Turns out neither of them did and busted coverage.

I don't blame Latt, Jenk, or MW for that play. That is just really bad coverage design by a guy in DA who makes his scheme entirely too complicated for anyone to confidently play in. If we play simple coverages you will see these DBs start playing a lot better.

I looked at that play a few times. They ran the same one in the 2nd half and Lattimore and Jenkins had the deep post responsibility, so I can only assume that is who was supposed to cover on this play. Turns out neither of them did and busted coverage.

I don't blame Latt, Jenk, or MW for that play. That is just really bad coverage design by a guy in DA who makes his scheme entirely too complicated for anyone to confidently play in. If we play simple coverages you will see these DBs start playing a lot better.
If we are tired of watching it I’m guessing a few players would be tired of playing in it.

My football days were as simple as the Free Safety always played safety with deep responsibility. “Never let anyone get behind you”.

In Allen’s scheme we can never be quite sure who was supposed to be doing what, And apparently the players can’t be sure either. But seems there are a lot of looks where the safety isn’t actually playing safety.

Last edited:

It's a 2 deep safety with each guy taking half the field. The receiver came from his side of the field. Williams reacted to another receiver that was actually being covered.

He has no ability to make good decisions. None.

He's slow.

He can't tackle.

He has a low football IQ.

You have the makings of a terrible free safety.

I’ll be curious to see what the guys who are good at film study say.

It was an awful mistake. And bc his mistakes often come at the worst times and lead to the worst result, they’re understandably magnified. But I’ll be curious to see what the rest of his game looked like.

If that was his busted coverage today I believe it is the first egregious one I remember this year. It certainly looked bad but I can't say I'm 100% sure Jenkins wasn't supposed to roll to the top and he was supposed to crash down. You can't bash PFF grading and at the same time assume you know what the coverage responsibility is. I think it was on him but I'd like to know for sure before I'd start making benching accusations.

As a layman of pass coverages, I can only say he is not making plays on the ball at the same clip. He's been a step behind when on the screen. So I think he needs to play better but I don't think he's responsible for all the busted coverages. I'd hazard a guess most of those have happened away from his side. I think he is our rangiest deep safety and has ball skills. I do wonder if he's lost some range trying to bulk up. I don't think we have a better deep safety skillset on the roster regardless. Every one of our safeties has screwed up but he is the most likely to be able to recover.

Finally, and this is very important, how is he playing when the ball isn't thrown at his responsibility. I wouldn't say he's been abused by QB going after him repeatedly. Is that because he is doing his job at times or he is just one of many bads out there and it's random chance. I can't answer that question. I'd need several unbiased opinions to break down all his snaps.

Unfortunately, that kind of information isn't readily available. So as long as the Saints keep giving him 100% snaps I'm going to assume he is our best option. From the limited information I have it has been bad this year but it's the best bad we got. I'd look elsewhere for the root problem.

it look like cover 2. and the Panthers receiver Moore I believe starts to cut across. soon as he turns I believe that Williams thought he was going to continue crossing and was passing him off to Jenkins. but instead of cutting across he he turns up field not giving Jenkins enough time to adjust. bridgewater looked for that cover 2. he knew it would be open all game.

marcus Williams wasnt the reason we would've loss. ceedy duce cant talk trash and not back it. Bridgewater was abusing him all game

stop hating on the players… its all coaching at this point.

there is no way all of our defensive players suck that hard at the same time.
it comes down to coaching and Dennis Allen should be responsible for every yard, point and turnover the opposing team gets.

I know firing DA now wont help the defense get better for those 10 games ahead. But we definitely should try something at least

The only reason you fire DA is because he's allowing 43 to trot out on the field every Sunday and get abused game after game.

DA's late game play calling is the reason we're 4-2 instead of 2-4. This was his main criticism in the past and now the Defense is making plays.

He's been known, since he arrived here, as being an astute in-game adjustments coach. He's aggressive like Gregg Williams without all the undisciplined crap.

All you clowns wanting to run off the best D coordinator we've had in the last 30 years are misguided. We have two safeties starting who don't know how to play and/or communicate.

Ones washed up and the other is a never was. Fix that and we're top 10 again.

Edit:. And to answer the OP's question, there isn't one and there hasn't been one this year (or last year really). I can't believe we let Vonn Bell walk and kept Latetotheball Whiffy McWhifferson.

Last edited:
As devastated as I was after that loss, I wasn’t mad at him. A Young player that played his heart out and made a mistake. However, he is close to being a veteran now and no more excuses. Coaches, either make the necessary adjustments, or it’s time to move on.
I bought into the explanation that it was just a rare kind of mistake and he was going to be a great player for a long time. I don’t see it. I still see poor tackling, decision making, and lack of awareness.

DA who makes his scheme entirely too complicated for anyone to confidently play in. If we play simple coverages you will see these DBs start playing a lot better.

Can you help explain what you mean by this? Us fans and league analysts rave about Payton's complex offense and it's barrage of substitutions and packages used to create mismatches and confusion.. Yet DA is constantly criticized here for a "complex" defensive scheme. If the offense can grasp a complex offense, why don't we have an expectation that the defensive players do the same?

Also to get us the win DA came up with a scheme where 92 was left solo on a hapless running back who had no chance to block him, that was a bit of brilliance there.

As far as the busted coverage play....I didn't see some complex scheme. Williams just makes a bad decision. The corner has outside leverage on the receiver and inside help already, Williams just makes another stupid mental mistake.

The only reason you fire DA is because he's allowing 43 to trot out on the field every Sunday and get abused game after game.

DA's late game play calling is the reason we're 4-2 instead of 2-4. This was his main criticism in the past and now the Defense is making plays.

He's been known, since he arrived here, as being an astute in-game adjustments coach. He's aggressive like Gregg Williams without all the undisciplined crap.

All you clowns wanting to run off the best D coordinator we've had in the last 30 years are misguided. We have two safeties starting who don't know how to play and/or communicate.

Ones washed up and the other is a never was. Fix that and we're top 10 again.

Edit:. And to answer the OP's question, there isn't one and there hasn't been one this year (or last year really). I can't believe we let Vonn Bell walk and kept Latetotheball Whiffy McWhifferson.
If he was truly that astute then we still wouldn't be in the Marcus Williams experiment and they wouldn't have let Bell go and brought back an older slower version of Jenkins for $$$$.

We would have used the $$$ to solve for a new FS option, which is needed anyway with pending contract expiration.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom