The case for and against Blake Bortles (1 Viewer)

SaintKenn

Wait till next year?
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So the former 3rd overall pick from the 2014 draft has fallen in to our lap. Highly inconsistent during his time in Jacksonville, Bortles does have the arm and leg taken to be a good quarterback in the NFL. He was Josh Allen before Josh Allen was in the league. During his time in Jacksonville, he was a dual threat guy that never had below 300yards rushing during a season and his best year statistically was in 2015 where he added over 4k yards passing with 35 touchdowns to 18 interceptions, stats that are closely resembling Drew's stats during the Super Bowl year.

Obviously, I'm not trying to compare him to Drew and his best season vs one of Drew's worst statistically, but I'm just saying the talent is there. Under a weak Doug Marine regime, the guy put up decent numbers. Jacksonville has been as dysfunctional as any other poor nfl team and we've always said it's the environment for other quarterbacks. Look at Archie Manning, his stats never jumped out at you but the Saints then were a very poorly ran and coached organization, similar to Jacksonville during Bortles time there.

All that being said, we only have 2 quarterbacks in the roster under contract at the moment, a super green Ian Book and an injured Taysom Hill, who must don't want to see behind center anyway. Is there a real opportunity here for Bortles to reinvent himself with one of the best ran and coached teams in football now?

What are your opinions on why he can't or why he can?

Last edited:
We can do better than Blake Bortles.

If those better opportunities present themselves, he'll be an easy player to part with. In the meantime, he's a veteran starter with some solid physical tools to work with. If he doesn't make it to camp, no harm. If he doesn't make it through preseason, no harm. If he surprises enough to nail down a roster spot, it comes with little initial investment.

he's obviously got talent, I think a lot of his mistakes were mental...which might be attributed to coaching. I think he gets a bit of a bad rap. Chase Daniel was a Saints backup QB for how many years? he's at least as good as Chase Daniel...

he's obviously got talent, I think a lot of his mistakes were mental...which might be attributed to coaching. I think he gets a bit of a bad rap. Chase Daniel was a Saints backup QB for how many years? he's at least as good as Chase Daniel...
By what measure is he? Honest question.

Worst case scenario he works the 2nd / 3rd string rotation which provides practice reps for many players.

I think Bortles problem is between his ears, if he can fully commit like Jameis then the sky’s the limit. The question is does he want it though?

If those better opportunities present themselves, he'll be an easy player to part with. In the meantime, he's a veteran starter with some solid physical tools to work with. If he doesn't make it to camp, no harm. If he doesn't make it through preseason, no harm. If he surprises enough to nail down a roster spot, it comes with little initial investment.
^This.

Nothing wrong with an attitude of "I don't necessarily believe in you....I'm not even sure you belong here....but I'm going to give you a fair shake at an opportunity to prove me wrong. and IF you do, I'll be your biggest supporter and defender. it's all up to you now....SHOW ME!"

No harm in competition between TS and Bortles. Bortles flashed some potential in college and became a 1st round pick, TS was a 7th rounder. Both are cheap back ups. I’m not saying we shouldn’t re-sign Winston because of Bortles, but for the #2 slot I’m willing to give him a shot and see what he has. We’ve already seen TS and though he did okay, he didn’t do much to guarantee him a spot on the roster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom