The case for and against Blake Bortles (1 Viewer)

So the further 3rd overall pick from the 2014 draft has fallen in to our lap. Highly inconsistent during his time in Jacksonville, Bortles does have the arm and leg taken to be a good quarterback in the NFL. He was Josh Allen before Josh Allen was in the league. During his time in Jacksonville, he was a dual threat guy that never had below 300yards rushing during a season and his best year statistically was in 2015 where he added over 4k yards passing with 35 touchdowns to 18 interceptions, stats that are closely resembling Drew's stats during the Super Bowl year.
Obviously, I'm not trying to compare him to Drew and his best season vs one of Drew's worst statistically, but I'm just saying the talent is there. Under a weak Doug Marine regime, the guy put up decent numbers. Jacksonville has been as dysfunctional as any other poor nfl team and we've always said it's the environment for other quarterbacks. Look at Archie Manning, his stats never jumped out at you but the Saints then were a very poorly ran and coached organization, similar to Jacksonville during Bortles time there.
All that being said, we only have 2 quarterbacks in the roster under contract at the moment, a super green Ian Book and an injured Taysom Hill, who must don't want to see behind center anyway. Is there a real opportunity here for Bortles to reinvent himself with one of the best ran and coached teams in football now?
What are your opinions on why he can't or why he can?
We haven't even really seen what Ian Book can do with a healthy OL.

No and no even more no on him being a QB on Saints Roster.

So the further 3rd overall pick from the 2014 draft has fallen in to our lap. Highly inconsistent during his time in Jacksonville, Bortles does have the arm and leg taken to be a good quarterback in the NFL. He was Josh Allen before Josh Allen was in the league. During his time in Jacksonville, he was a dual threat guy that never had below 300yards rushing during a season and his best year statistically was in 2015 where he added over 4k yards passing with 35 touchdowns to 18 interceptions, stats that are closely resembling Drew's stats during the Super Bowl year.
Obviously, I'm not trying to compare him to Drew and his best season vs one of Drew's worst statistically, but I'm just saying the talent is there. Under a weak Doug Marine regime, the guy put up decent numbers. Jacksonville has been as dysfunctional as any other poor nfl team and we've always said it's the environment for other quarterbacks. Look at Archie Manning, his stats never jumped out at you but the Saints then were a very poorly ran and coached organization, similar to Jacksonville during Bortles time there.
All that being said, we only have 2 quarterbacks in the roster under contract at the moment, a super green Ian Book and an injured Taysom Hill, who must don't want to see behind center anyway. Is there a real opportunity here for Bortles to reinvent himself with one of the best ran and coached teams in football now?
There is no argument for Blake Bortles.

There is no argument for Blake Bortles.
There's been a lot of names thrown around about who we should pursue...Jimmy G, Baker, Jameis...if you look at those guys best statistical season and compare it to Bortles, what's the difference?
I say look at the teams. With the 49ers coaching and team make up I think Jimmy has vastly underperformed. Jameis never did anything with the Bucs and Baker has a completely loaded team of 1st round picks and barely scraps in to the playoffs. Blake has a terriblyle Jacksonville staff and team yet somehow made it to the AFC championship game. I honestly think it's worth looking in to.

So the former 3rd overall pick from the 2014 draft has fallen in to our lap. Highly inconsistent during his time in Jacksonville, Bortles does have the arm and leg taken to be a good quarterback in the NFL. He was Josh Allen before Josh Allen was in the league. During his time in Jacksonville, he was a dual threat guy that never had below 300yards rushing during a season and his best year statistically was in 2015 where he added over 4k yards passing with 35 touchdowns to 18 interceptions, stats that are closely resembling Drew's stats during the Super Bowl year.
Bortles is who he is, even the Guru Payton isn’t changing that. 🗑

I think it's good just to have another quarterback out there that knows our system. If TS gets a better deal somewhere else, we can have Bortles as a vet backup option. If TS comes back and beats out Bortles for a roster spot, we have someone we can call in if COVID hits our QB room next season.

why not? at worst a decent backup, prob better then Trevor. not expensive, still young
I disagree and continue to say he and Ian endured the worst stretches during this season. I know his record as a starter but he secured mid-game wins in two key games: the first Bucs game and last week against Atlanta. I know the team is defined by our defense but why does Ian get a pass but everyone dumps on Trevor. If Taysom had started a game during that stretch without AK, I'm sure his stats and W/L would be worse. I'm not knocking Taysom, just noting that Trevor managed our worst injury stretch and you think Bortles is better?

Other than Brees and Manning... they should name it Misfit QB Island sponsored by the New Orleans Saints.
Archie Manning is the only QB we’ve ever opened that was a blue chip prospect fresh out of the box.

Brees was a 2nd hand QB with a stapled up shoulder when we got him.

Honestly I see Bortles as next years Simian.

I think the Saints are viewing these quarterbacks that they sign to futures contracts similarly to how the Packers used to value quarterbacks in the draft (draft/sign one, let them sit, see if they have value or perceived value to another team).

If Bortles works out, awesome! If not, well it was only a training camp invite. His roof is a serviceable quarterback (Chad Henneh), his floor is Trevor Simian.

Forgive me if I'm not jazzed by the prospect of scrambling for almost 20 yards a game.

The definition of 'dual threat' is being stretched beyond its logical limit, here.
Yeah when I think about Bortles, dual threat isn't one of the first things to come to mind. Lol and was he really Josh Allen before Josh Allen was Josh Allen?

I'm all for pumping sunshine and seeing the world through my Black & Gold lenses but even for me this is a little far out. Hopefully it doesn't come to Blake Bortles being our starting QB.

Winston or Bortles? I think they both can be reliable backup qb’s and should be given an opportunity to make the team. But the team needs to go after a legitimate number 1 qb to start the season.

Bortles seems to be under appreciated by this board. He's a functional starter/excellent back up option.

He put up 4500 yards and 35 TDs in 2015.

I feel he is a significant upgrade over Trevor Siemian. We signed and payed Siemian what we expected for a emergency back up. He knew the system from last year, thats why we kept him and not Bortles in preseason. Brotles is still young and could be a reliable back up for many years for our next QB.

Check out his 2015 highlight reel

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom