the Center for Copyright Information... (1 Viewer)

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, its real.
It is about to get a bit more difficult to illegally download TV shows, movies or music online.
A new alert system, rolling out over the next two months, will repeatedly warn and possibly punish people violating digital copyrights. The Copyright Alert System was announced last July and has been four years in the making.
If you use AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner, or Verizon as your Internet service provider, you could receive the first of one of these notes starting in the next two months.
The Internet provider is delivering the message, but the legwork is being done by the copyright owners, which will monitor peer-to-peer networks such as BitTorrent.

The entire system will be overseen by an organization called the Center for Copyright Information, which includes content owners, such as the Motion Picture Association of America and Recording Industry Association of America, as well as individual members including Disney, Sony Pictures, Fox, EMI and Universal.

>>>Motion Picture Association of America and Recording Industry Association of America, as well as individual members including Disney, Sony Pictures, Fox, EMI and Universal.

Time to toss the mouse ears and stop promoting these folks for free... Oops, stop *paying* to promote them. :jpshakehead:

I'm sickened by the overt moves of corporations into government (we know they've been hands inside the sock, but now it's more naked). We'll just write the law up here, you sign-off and get your co-workers to vote for it in the house. Now shut up and take my money.

Our entire copyright system is so flawed I almost think we'd be better off dealing with the consequences of abolishing all copyrights until we can figure out where to go from here.

The perverse and disgusting industry that has grown up around companies merely existing for the sake of copy-squatting is completely contrary to every reason copyright was enacted originally in this country. Everything I've read says the origin was to "encourage creativity" by preventing publishers or companies from stealing authors' works for a limited period of +/- a decade (for some reason multiples of 7 go along with it 7/14/28). Still the idea was to protect individuals FROM financial exploitation by companies. Now it's used by companies to exploit an individual's creation sometimes decades after the creators' deaths to stifle any use or creativity while maximizing corporate revenue that no longer has any relationship to revenue for any actual creator.

We are ranked in the mid 20's for internet connectivity in this country. Our internet access costs a fortune and is still mainly on copper. Meanwhile you can now get GIGABIT internet in many countries for less than $50 a month. My inlaws in a RURAL town in Japan get 500Mbps internet for $25. I get 75Mbps internet for $95. I can get up to 300Mbps for $200.

And then we have this load of horse manure..

We are ranked in the mid 20's for internet connectivity in this country. Our internet access costs a fortune and is still mainly on copper. Meanwhile you can now get GIGABIT internet in many countries for less than $50 a month. My inlaws in a RURAL town in Japan get 500Mbps internet for $25. I get 75Mbps internet for $95. I can get up to 300Mbps for $200.

And then we have this load of horse manure..

I wonder what the total square footage and population of Japan is, and how those data compare to the United States...

I wonder what the total square footage and population of Japan is, and how those data compare to the United States...

Japan may not be the best example since it has roughly the population of the US but is the size of California. The country is also mountainous so the population is concentrated in the cities.

However Russia is also faster..

Check this out: Net Index by Ookla - All Countries

The US is ranked 33. Russia 26

Japan may not be the best example since it has roughly the population of the US but is the size of California. The country is also mountainous so the population is concentrated in the cities.

However Russia is also faster..

Check this out: Net Index by Ookla - All Countries

The US is ranked 33. Russia 26

Japan: 127 million people
Russia: 142 million people
U.S.: 314 million people

space-earth-at-night.jpg

I'd say there's a lot more infrastructure in the U.S. than in any one country in the rest of the world. Unfortunately, that means slow rollouts of pervasive technologies (like natural gas filling stations for CNG cars or chargers for electric ones), and we're paying for that development right now with the higher costs.

Kansas City has Google fiber right now...once that ball gets rolling down hill, our speeds and costs will be more in-line with the rest of the world. Provided it's not squashed somehow by special interests.

space-earth-at-night.jpg

I'd say there's a lot more infrastructure in the U.S. than in any one country in the rest of the world. Unfortunately, that means slow rollouts of pervasive technologies (like natural gas filling stations for CNG cars or chargers for electric ones), and we're paying for that development right now with the higher costs.

Kansas City has Google fiber right now...once that ball gets rolling down hill, our speeds and costs will be more in-line with the rest of the world. Provided it's not squashed somehow by special interests.

It's the local monopolies that slow development more than infrastructure. Thanks Cox.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

This is just a really out of touch response by the media conglomerates that will only serve to encourage pirating of their intellectual property. Louis CK distributed his most recent standup routine directly from his website for a flat $5 fee. No DRM protection, no restrictions. It was a very successful experiment.

Louis CK Says $5 Standup Special a Success, with 200k Profit

It's the local monopolies that slow development more than infrastructure. Thanks Cox.

Good point. Like Cable TV and the Entertainment Industry, they're trying their hardest to hold on to their obsolete business models.

This is just a really out of touch response by the media conglomerates that will only serve to encourage pirating of their intellectual property. Louis CK distributed his most recent standup routine directly from his website for a flat $5 fee. No DRM protection, no restrictions. It was a very successful experiment.

Louis CK Says $5 Standup Special a Success, with 200k Profit

I'm not sure of his profitability but Jim Gaffigan did the same thing with his last special. It must be working because the cheapest seat to his show at Mahalia next month is $80.

Honestly, it's distance not population. 5-10 years ago you could make claims about Nordic countries or South Korea being only because they were small.

Really our providers have not significantly invested in infrastructure (beyond routers and stuff, I'm talking cable/fiber to the door) much in the last 25 years. You pretty much have the same cable going into many houses that was going in there in the early 90s.

Why not? Because we're not up in arms, we pay, and new fiber or whatever costs money. They're doing what they kind of should and soaking profits, until we get mad enough to not buy or someone like Google comes along and shoves them with competition.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom