"The Chicken or the Egg" - Pass Rush vs Good coverage? (1 Viewer)

i see what you mean. But when we discuss, i believe it refers to what we need most. That has to be based off scheme. If we're the niners, and in their division I would agree with you. But we're not. We're in a pass oriented Division.

Furthermore, we haven't any idea what we do or don't have in the front 7. Its possible that our pass rushers become great and out biggest weakness in the front 7 becomes Lofton. The 3-4 switch will be a drastic change and we haven't any idea who it will affect negatively or positively.

We do know about the scheme with our corners. Rob Ryans scheme for the secondary is an island scheme with no help. The same that was Greg Williams in 2010 and 2011 and the same that Rex Ryan uses (who's priority was Cromartie when already having Revis), where we constantly saw QB's throwing the ball within 3 seconds because not Greer, PRob, or Porter could blanket their recievers.

whether its a 3 step drop or not, we have the pass rushers or not, it doesn't matter. If our corners can't blanket recievers for 4 seconds regularly, our pass rush will never get noticed.

I see what u mean in relation to our team but i thought the discussion was in General and my opinion on that is that the CB directly effects the WR...easiest way to stop a WR even if the CB can't cover him is to effect the guy who has to get him the ball

So therefore i think that passrusher is more important because they directly effect the QB whom is the whole key to the operation.

As far as our team We have a passrusher or 2...but they were tweeners so they didn't see the field until 3rd n long or obvious passing situations.

Well because we couldn't stop the run on 1st n 2nd down we were unable to get into favorable 3rd downs for a defense so those guys could get more snaps.

Switching to a 3-4 in theory allows us to get those tweeners ont he field....even though we still have to stop the run but now they don't have to wait till 3rd down to make an impact.

Depending on what holes we fill leading up to the draft OLB/DE or CB are viable options.

This seems to be an on going debate. Which comes first? The chicken or the egg?

What has a greater impact on each other? Does great secondary make your pass rush look better, or does great pass rush make your secondary look better?

I lean towards great pass rush. Look at the 49ers. Their defense just was not the same when Justin Smith went down. He creates so much havoc and opportunities for their pass rush, missing him was huge. And all of sudden, their secondary didnt look as good any more. Matt Ryan torched them in the 1st half. Flacco lit them up. Aaron Rodgers had his times but his defense couldnt stop Kapernick. When their pass rusher is rolling, those secondary guys can get aggresive, come down hill and hit hard or play the ball.

This is why I rather us go for a pass rusher in the 1st, rather than a secondary player. Even with a good corner, I dont see our secondary play being that much improved without a legitimate pass rush to speed up the clock of QB's without having to blitz 7 guys.

I totally agree with you...you can go back to the '86 Bears, frankly, their CBs stunk, but they created so much pressure they could cover up a couple of corners who, in the words of Sterling Sharpe, could definitely outslow you.

a pass rush is important but at the same time the guys that's rushing the passer have to be more than a pass rusher and what I'm saying he needs to be smart all around

it's all about great coaching and putting guys in the right place and an aggressive secondary..

I don't think "the chicken or the egg" is the correct analogy for this. Say your roof has a hole in it and a thunderstorm is coming. Do you put a tarp on the inside to keep the rain out? Or do you put a tarp on the outside to keep the rain out all together?

It's easier to defend the pass is there isn't a pass all together.

Pass rush is definitely more important than coverage. You cannot defend the perfect throw. Lets use the saints as an example. Saints 4 wide, Colston, Henderson, Moore, Graham and Sproles out of the backfield. If Brees has time he will identify the mismatch and it will be a completion 70% of the time. The receiver doesn't need to be open. Colston rarely gets separation and Brees can always throw a jumpball to Graham. Anquon Boldon is a prime example.

A pass rush just needs to get a QB on the move or make the QB uncomfortable in the pocket to be successful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom