"The Chicken or the Egg" - Pass Rush vs Good coverage? (2 Viewers)

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
This seems to be an on going debate. Which comes first? The chicken or the egg?

What has a greater impact on each other? Does great secondary make your pass rush look better, or does great pass rush make your secondary look better?

I lean towards great pass rush. Look at the 49ers. Their defense just was not the same when Justin Smith went down. He creates so much havoc and opportunities for their pass rush, missing him was huge. And all of sudden, their secondary didnt look as good any more. Matt Ryan torched them in the 1st half. Flacco lit them up. Aaron Rodgers had his times but his defense couldnt stop Kapernick. When their pass rusher is rolling, those secondary guys can get aggresive, come down hill and hit hard or play the ball.

This is why I rather us go for a pass rusher in the 1st, rather than a secondary player. Even with a good corner, I dont see our secondary play being that much improved without a legitimate pass rush to speed up the clock of QB's without having to blitz 7 guys.

The trenches are where it all begins.

A QB can still throw into tight coverage, but he has a much harder time seeing anyone or being even remotely accurate from his butt.

Now with that said, that doesnt mean you can have a terrible secondary and a good pass rush. QB's will just get the ball out quicker and still torch you. You still need to be able to cover well and play the ball. But I think it's easier to build a good pass rush than it is to finding a couple Revis' and Ed Reeds.

they have to go hand in hand. If your coverage stinks, they can roll out the QB or use blocking schemes to buy just enough time to expose you.

I've seen the Dome Patrol live. I know how a great pass rush more than makes up for an average secondary.

I think a great pass rush affects/frustrates a QB more than great coverage.

More frustration = More mental mistakes

I've seen the Dome Patrol live. I know how a great pass rush more than makes up for an average secondary.

I think a great pass rush affects/frustrates a QB more than great coverage.

More frustration = More mental mistakes

I think QB mentality is huge. With great coverage, I think the QB realizes that it is up to him to make the best throws. Perfect offense beats perfect defense every time. When faced with tough coverages, QBs know they have to rise above.

The mentality is completely different when you get pressure on the QB. How many times have you seen a QB completely mentally check out of a game and start screaming at their offensive line when consistent pressure occurs? When you get pressure on the QB, I think you make a QB feel powerless (it's not my fault, it's my protection's fault) and that's going to lead to more mistakes.

A defense has 2 main objectives:

1. Get possession of the football back to its offense.
2. Deny the opposition the opportunity to score points.

What is a better way to get the football back than to attack the offensive player that possesses the football more than any other offensive player? It all begins and ends, on defense, with attacking the quarterback. Pass rush!

Both of them are needed. But what is the most cost effective way to go? Undoubtedly getting a stud pass rusher. The saying is....in front of every ProBowl caliber CB, there is a ProBowl caliber pass rusher. There is a lot of truth to that. But the opposite is also true....If we go back and look W Smith's production, it certainly gives a valid argument why PRob is so disappointing

the Pass Rush is the most important for a few reasons.

1. It makes the QB speed up his progressions and try to fit the ball into tighter windows.
2. It gets the QB out of him comfort zone
3. The secondary doesn't have to cover for as long and can play tighter coverage
4. After some solid hits most QB's get rattled and don't play as well
5. The offense keeps more guys in to block resulting in less Recievers.

It doesn't matter if you have a dream team secondary (Deion Sanders and Aneas Williams, Charles Woodson and Revis at CB with Ed Reed and Rod Woodson at S) out there, if the QB has enough time eventually a WR will get open.

This seems to be an on going debate. Which comes first? The chicken or the egg?

What has a greater impact on each other? Does great secondary make your pass rush look better, or does great pass rush make your secondary look better?

I lean towards great pass rush. Look at the 49ers. Their defense just was not the same when Justin Smith went down. He creates so much havoc and opportunities for their pass rush, missing him was huge. And all of sudden, their secondary didnt look as good any more. Matt Ryan torched them in the 1st half. Flacco lit them up. Aaron Rodgers had his times but his defense couldnt stop Kapernick. When their pass rusher is rolling, those secondary guys can get aggresive, come down hill and hit hard or play the ball.

This is why I rather us go for a pass rusher in the 1st, rather than a secondary player. Even with a good corner, I dont see our secondary play being that much improved without a legitimate pass rush to speed up the clock of QB's without having to blitz 7 guys.

There is no debate. The line and pass rush must be there.

I don't care how good your rush is, a modern day QB will eat a bad secondary alive. QB's have an internal clock, if you can't cover they will get rid of the ball long before the best of rushes get there.

I don't care how good your rush is, a modern day QB will eat a bad secondary alive. QB's have an internal clock, if you can't cover they will get rid of the ball long before the best of rushes get there.

Pretty much.

Even the best pass rush in the league is going to consistently take 4-6 seconds to get home. You have to have people that can actually cover in the back end for that time.

I think we've seen bad (or perceived as bad) pass rushing for so long here that people think a good one will magically hit the QB after 2 seconds every play. You still have to cover, no matter how good your rush the passer.

Obviously, you'd rather be elite up front first though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom