The Chickens are coming home to roost (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A Number of things I'd like to note as it revolves around yesterday's loss.

1) When Delvin Breaux got hurt his immediate replacement was an UDFA Rookie. Let that sink in. As recently as 2014 we spent a 2nd rounder on a CB(3rd/5th in 2015) and signed at least 3 to contracts yet were still down to UDFA's as immediate replacements.

2) Jairus Byrd = 10mil Cap Hit
Cam Jordan = 5mil Cap Hit
$15 Million Dollars = 5 Tckls and 0 impact plays between them.

3) CJ Spiller = 4mil Cap HIt = inactive because of a #'s game. Returning Kickoffs is something he's excelled at throughout his career and yet we collectively hold our breaths as Murphy receives a kick or punt for the 2nd year in a row.

4) We used the 13th draft pick on a starting LG. Carl Nicks was a 5th rounder

5) Our 31st pick from a year ago Stephone Anthony played less snaps than a waiver wire request in 2015 in Michael Mauti.

6) We used a 2nd round pick on a passrusher with 2 ACL injuries who is out with a 3rd ACL injury:scratch:.

7) We have $35 million in dead money. Only 1 of those players is currently on the team. Jahri Evans. That equates to 8 different players we no longer have on the team that could have been of use in Sunday's game.

8) John Jenkins all 6'3 350 lbs of him got single blocked by a Center on top of picking the wrong gap that lead to a 70yd TD. A man that's 350lbs who we drafted using a 3rd round pick to be a NT to tie up 2 blockers got single blocked 3 yds off the ball. Let that sink in.

9) Since 2006 we've used 7 draft picks on WR's. Of those 7 only 2 were high draft picks Cooks/Meachem. The rest were lower round picks and yet we've been a top 5-10 passing offense for much of the decade. In that same span we've used 3 draft picks on RB's. Two 1st' and a 4th. 1 of them was a satellite back and the other Ingram. During this 10 year span we haven't had a single 1000 yard rusher and every year we look to improve the running game. Does it not seem like the RB position may be harder to hit on than WR for us and more important thus the need to be looking at RB talent much closer? I mean we kept 6 RB's for christ sakes..........utterly no reason for that.

10) We have 6 RBs on the roster meanwhile only 5 DBs but we are a passing team:scratch::idunno:

11) Wonder if players that would have been taken with the 1st and 2nd rounder from the Bounty debacle would have helped?

12) Since 2012 alone we've made a ton of FA acquisitions/Drafts/ Player transactions. Curtis Lofton, David Hawthorne, Will Herring, Erik Lorig, Corey White, Akiem Hicks, Champ Bailey, Brandon Browner, Jairus Byrd, CJ Spiller, Ben Grubbs, Brodrick Bunkley, Chris Chamberlain, Barrett Rudd, Nick Toon, Andrew Tiller (Still in league) Marcel Jones, Tyrunn Walker, Keenan Lewis, Benjamin Watson, Victor Butler, Rufus Johnson, Kenny Stills, Rafael Bush, Stanley Jean Baptiste, Khari Fortt, Ronald Powell, Tavon Rooks, Vinnie Sunseri, Dannel Ellerbe, Davis Tull, Stephone Anthony, Damian Swann.

I'm not going to even add these guys up but these players are either no longer on the team, under performing, or partaking in roles that don't fit justify their draft position. That's a lot of high profile misses in a 3-4 year span. Bad FA signings, bad resignings, bad draft picks, bad cuts...you name it....its all been bad.

So while we sit here and debate over whether it was the missed field goal, the int, the injury to Breaux, or the refs that cost us Sunday's game the truth is our problems started way before the clock started from 15:00 in the 1st Q of Sundays game.

Yep. If Sean Payton wins eight games with this squad it will be one of his best coaching jobs ever.

wasn't Anthony injured before the season? Nicks had off the field issues and that is why he was drafted so late. Spiller is an enigma. Not sure what is wrong with him, if it is injuries or just not wanting to be here.

Very well said and we gave Payton what.......an extension?!?!?!?!??

All true.

But for all that, I like where the organization is headed, and remain a strong Sean Payton fan.

However, I have considered that it may be time to revise the front office -- something is not working. You can't really just promote Loomis and bring in a new GM, because Lauscha's the president already. And I am not sure that we would fire Loomis under almost any circumstances -- Tom Benson is very loyal to people who show loyalty to him, and somehow we've managed to never lose 10 games in a season since 2005.

I am willing to see where this now-younger team is at the end of the year, hopefully with a healthy Breaux and Rankins, and no more snake-bite in the secondary -- our top four CBs in April are all now out: Breaux, Lewis, Wilson and Swann. That's too much for almost any organization to replace in training camp. With five minutes left in the third quarter, before Breaux got hurt, we were up 24-10 and playing pretty good defense. I want to see how this plays out.

What he's been able to do despite a lot of this is one of the reasons he's a top 8-15 coach. Resigning/Extending him was absolutely the right call.

I'm not going to even add these guys up but these players are either no longer on the team, under performing, or partaking in roles that don't fit justify their draft position. That's a lot of high profile misses in a 3-4 year span. Bad FA signings, bad resignings, bad draft picks, bad cuts...you name it....its all been bad.

So while we sit here and debate over whether it was the missed field goal, the int, the injury to Breaux, or the refs that cost us Sunday's game the truth is our problems started way before the clock started from 15:00 in the 1st Q of Sundays game.

I look forward to seeing your analysis on how the Saints compare to all of the other teams over the same time period.

Assuming that the Saints have been relatively worse than most of the other teams with personnel decisions for several years, then wouldn't the fact that the Saints have done no worse than 7-9 under Payton, make his coaching performance a bit impressive?

I look forward to seeing your analysis on how the Saints compare to all of the other teams over the same time period.

Assuming that the Saints have been relatively worse than most of the other teams with personnel decisions for several years, then wouldn't the fact that the Saints have done no worse than 7-9 under Payton, make his coaching performance a bit impressive?

Payton is a good coach. I like Payton the coach. I hate Payton the GM. And yes in my opinion he is the defacto GM of the Saints. He may not be pulling the trigger on 6th round picks but he is heavily involved in rounds 1-3 and the free agents we are signing.

The Bucs gave us our 7th win in 2014 and we took it but your point is well taken. Winning that game landed us Andrus Peat and gave the Bucs Winston.

One of the most realistic posts I've ever seen on this site. OP is spot on. I'd love to wear rose colored glasses but I'd rather be honest with myself than self delusional. All of that "making it happen" is sobering.

The Bucs gave us our 7th win in 2014 and we took it but your point is well taken. Winning that game landed us Andrus Peat and gave the Bucs Winston.

No doubt, the Saints would have better draft positions if they were willing to intentionally lose a few games here and there.

I give most of the Credit to Drew Brees, where it is due. You think we are in a mess now, we just cut our 3rd round project QB, wait till we are stuck playing someone like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom