The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - a dark vision of Riverdale (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Coming this October, the makers of the CW's Riverdale series have a new take on the story of Sabrina as the teenage girl coming to terms with her occult side. Described as being in the same vein as The Exorcist or Rosmary's Baby, the first promo pics include Kiernan Shipka making her debut as Sabrina Spellman, undergoing her initiations into the dark side. Say, who/what the bloody rabbit thing on the right?

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina releases its first 10-episode season Oct. 26 on Netflix. The series, which was first developed at The CW, has already been picked up for a 10-episode second season.

Kiernan Shipka Unveils 'Sabrina' in First Photos of Netflix Series

sabrina.jpg

very interesting
and it's not like Riverdale is an oasis of sun-kissed soda shops - it's pretty 'dark' itself

also The Magicians is an interesting take on the occult

In the 1960s, Archie comic books were a girl thing. Until I looked it up just now, I didn't realize the comic book version of Sabrina had actually been around since the early 1960s, earlier than the Bewitched TV show by two years.

The Archies hit single "Sugar, Sugar" made the Archie Saturday morning cartoon show a must-see for tween-age kids. I was 12. My first recollection of Sabrina is the Saturday morning cartoon version that appeared in the Archie show in the early 1970s and she got a spinoff series of her own that lasted several years. To make magic happen this pug nosed, freckle-faced Sabrina tugged her ear.

Finally, with four daughters in my house in the 1990s, the Melissa Joan Hart version of Sabrina invaded and took over the TV for a few years. I never really sat down and watched it with the girls, but Sabrina's presence was definitely felt. The girls re-watched the shows so many times, they would each take a different role and recite the lines when a re-run came on.

I missed the whole Archie Horror Comics theme. But, I'm sure one or two of my Comic-Con attendee daughters didn't.

I've seen articles and posters about Riverdale, but I'm not exactly the target audience.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina seems to be following the pattern of taking a beloved children's character and incorporating adult horror genre themes, like certain forms of anime do. I am guessing the target audience is the Nickelodeon generation and/or their kids? Hmmm...

Last edited:
This is Salem, WGN's occult series about witches, but for teenagers and hipsters in their early 20's. Same target audience, except shows like Arrow and Flash have proven to be good investments long-term. Better shows, IMHO.
Honestly, if networks like Nickelodeon or CW want to take traditional fairytale characters and "darken" them up by modernising them, let's try and look beyond just occult types of witches, vampires, werewolves, succubus and try to re-invent more modern versions of Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde, Penny Dreadful was on the right path but it never revealed the Frankenstein monster beneath the scientist. Maybe try to be a little unconventional and make him a broody, dark anti hero protagonist who's seems like a normal average psychologist by day and avenging serial killer with a purpose by night, a Dexter-type figure. hero
There's a Marvel TV series on FOX called the Gifted, it came on last season and was renewed for a second season airing in Septe mber, IIRC, it tells an alternate Marvel Universe timeline of different characters, mutants like Polaris, Thunderbird, Domino similar to Legion except it's not as dark, and it makes a lot more sense in its storylines and sub-plots. Of course, David Haller/Legion is a paranoid schizophrenic with abandonment issues so I suppose the shows aura sort of fits. But certain mutant characters like Legion, Sabertooth, or Wolverine can't be so easily sanitized or cleaned-up for a PG-13 or R rated TV series. FX pushes the envelope far enough as it is that there one of the few cable networks outside of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Stars and now Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon that can get away with it. X-23 might be the closest you'll ever get to seeing a Wolverine-esque character on Marvel-themed series and knowing her comic book personality, she's far more introverted, nastier, moodier, less of a personality then her father did. She's also probably mentally/psychologically damaged then Wolverine was. She wasn't given normal childhood affections by Hydra, she was trained from the day she was cloned to be a super-soldier, a female Wolverine without pity, remorse, or compassion. Even worse, Hydra scientists performed the adamantium feeding process on her when she was just 12 unlike Wolverine who had to beaten up and abducted as a grown man when he was given claws.​

BTW, didn't Shipka play Don Draper 's daughter in Mad Men all throughout the series? My she's all grown up now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom