The Christmas Music Thread (yo John Oates) (1 Viewer)

Jazzbo

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
At least a couple of familiar names have released Christmas albums for this season.
James Taylor

h76562hiy51.jpg

'JAMES TAYLOR AT CHRISTMAS'

The 12-song collection of traditional and contemporary seasonal songs includes James' heart-warming version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" from the 1944 film, "Meet Me in St. Louis", "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," as well as the premier of a new recording of Joni Mitchell's composition, "River." Special guest performances on the CD feature jazz trumpeter Chris Botti on "Winter Wonderland," legendary harmonica player Toots Thieleman on "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire) and with Natalie Cole on "Baby It's Cold Outside."

More from his website here (crank up the speakers): http://www.jamestaylor.com/

...and...

Hall & Oates

h78858v02cv.jpg

Here is the description from H&O's website which includes where to buy it...

** Daryl Hall & John Oates released "Home for Christmas" on October 3rd, a beautifully recorded and heartfelt Holiday album. Released on their own label U-Watch/DKE Records and distributed by ICON Music Entertainment Services.

The album, with a portion of proceeds donated to the U.S. Marine Corps charity Toys for Tots, is available exclusively at all Trans World Entertainment outlets, including F.Y.E., Sam Goody, Strawberries Music, Wherehouse Entertainment, Suncoast, Spec's, Second Spin, and Coconuts Music and Movies. The duo will also serve as spokesmen for the 2006 Toys For Tots fundraising campaign.

"We wanted to do an album that expressed the true spirit of Christmas, that of peace, traditions, family and friends coming together," says Daryl Hall. "The songs, some familiar, but adapted to our style, others more obscure, along with two originals, are about ecstasy, grace, poignancy, love and, of course, soul." **

http://www.hallandoates.com/newalbum.php

Aimee Mann just released one, too. I downloaded it from yahoo, but I haven't listened to it yet as I refuse to because it's not even Thanksgiving yet.

I may have to go get that James Taylor Christmas CD. That duet with Natalie Cole on "Baby It's Cold Outside" sounds great. I need to remember to listen to more JT when I need to mellow out, LOL.

Thanks for the reminder to pull out the holiday CD's. I also like to put the digital music channel on "sounds of the season" this time of year (FYI, if you have that on your cable tv, always tune in on Mardi Gras day....New Orleans music ALL DAY LONG).

sweet. none of the links will work for the H&O songs on their website. i want to check them out. Thanks jazzbo

what a great idea!!! make an album of the same songs that hundreds of others have made albums with....this will catch on i am sure

what a great idea!!! make an album of the same songs that hundreds of others have made albums with....this will catch on i am sure

There is a reason artists put out Christmas albums. Long after their other albums stop selling their Christmas albums sell year after year after year. Bing Crosby recorded hundreds of non Christmas songs but who remembers those? White Christmas has been selling for over 60 years.

What is really cool though is when an artist comes up with an original that might not sell at first but through word of mouth 30 years later the song becomes a classic.

On another note, I would love to hear Sufjan's and Amy Mann's albums and add them to my collection. I have pretty cool collection of Christmas songs that span the decades.

Aimee Mann just released one, too. I downloaded it from yahoo, but I haven't listened to it yet as I refuse to because it's not even Thanksgiving yet.

Her version of "I'll be home for Christmas" is really well done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom