The Cigar Thread (1 Viewer)

City Champ

HOF 2010
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I quit smoking cigarettes just under a year ago, so perhaps this isn't a good idea, but I have been enjoying a cigar on occasion. I landed some Cuban Romeo et Julietta Churchills, and man are they good. I know I will not be able to land the same thing in the states (at least for what I paid for them) so I was wondering if any of the more refined cigar smokers would share some knowledge. I think I want to buy myself a nice humidor and get up a decent collection. Any suggestions?

I asked for refined cigar smokers...

I prefer maduros from DR and Honduras. El Rey del Mundo, Hoyo, La Gloria, Cuesta-Rey are hard to beat, IMO. Rocky Patel, Padron, Avo for special occasions.

Good site if you care about other opinions. And these folks really can't be beat for selection and price. Received an order of ERdM oscuros (5 X 54) from JR today.

YUM

I was smoking a few Cuesta-Rey's as well. Not a bad cigar at all. I believe I was smoking a 95.

i quit smoking cigarettes for 8 years and then started up the black & milds.... now having a hard time quiting them...i know your not suppose to inhale them but it's like lung candy:bandit:

I prefer maduros from DR and Honduras. El Rey del Mundo, Hoyo, La Gloria, Cuesta-Rey are hard to beat, IMO. Rocky Patel, Padron, Avo for special occasions.

Good site if you care about other opinions. And these folks really can't be beat for selection and price. Received an order of ERdM oscuros (5 X 54) from JR today.

YUM

two good sites. I have some reading to do!

I asked for refined cigar smokers...
Cigar snob......

We had a cigar snob at our camp once, noticed I said once. We reemed out his Macanudos, whatever they're called, and put lady fingers in each one. He didn't take to kind to his exploding cigars, needless to say he hasn't been back. We just kept on smoking our rum dipped Hav-a-Tampas, while he moaned about his pile of tobacco.

Last edited:
I like muduros. I really like the Romeo Juliet Reserve Muduro. Not too expensive either. Camacho Triple Muduro is the bomb, but 12-13 bucks. A Fuente Hemingway series is great tasting too. Rocky Patel Vintage 1990, 1992 and Edge are also great cigars. Can't go wrong with MonteCristo's either.

Check out any Auturo Fuente product. I'm partial to the sungrown Cuban Belicosos, the Chateau Fuente and the Double Chateau Fuente. The Hemingway and OpusX lines are also good, but I think the OpusX are overrated. I also like Padron's. The Padron Anniversary editions are very good, but expensive. Their thousands line (2000, 3000, 5000, 6000) is also very good, but cheaper.

There is very little in non-Cuban cigars that will likely be as strong as Cubans, but the Padrons are probably the closets strength wise and there are some very good Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars out there. Between Padron and Fuente, you have the two best and most consitent cigar makers. Neither is part of the giant General Cigar which is the same company that owns JRCigars and many other makers like domestic Punch and Hoyo De Monterey.

You will have trouble finding either Padron or Fuente prodcuts on the JRCigar site, but check out CigarsInternational.com, Holts.com or Cigarbid.com for decent deals on both of them.

Cigar snob......

We had a cigar snob at our camp once, noticed I said once. We reamed out his Macanudos, whatever they're called, and put lady fingers in each one. He didn't take to kind to his exploding cigars, needless to say he hasn't been back. We just kept on smoking our rum dipped Hav-a-Tampas, while he moaned about his pile of tobacco.

Enjoy your Hav-a-Tampas, no really...
I am sure the 7-11 keeps them at just the right temperature and moisture to really let the flavors wow you.

Cigar snob......

We had a cigar snob at our camp once, noticed I said once. We reamed out his Macanudos, whatever they're called, and put lady fingers in each one. He didn't take to kind to his exploding cigars, needless to say he hasn't been back. We just kept on smoking our rum dipped Hav-a-Tampas, while he moaned about his pile of tobacco.

If he was smoking Macanudos he wasn't much of a cigar snob.

Seriously, it's not about being a snob. The tobacco in a Hav-a-Tampa is about the same as in a Marlboro. It's nasty, cheap mass produced tobacco that is shredded and shoved in a wrapper that is just a step up from paper. It's like saying that you guys can go ahead and drink that Maker's Mark stuff, but us non-snobs are going to sit here and drink our Early Times and Evan Williams Green Label.

Last edited:
I have yet to smoke a Cuban. Hook me up brah. :)

I have yet to smoke a Cuban. Hook me up brah. :)

If I could get some home, I would...
The ones I am smoking are pretty good but are about 15 bucks a piece. My buddy bought a box of 25 and broke me off with half. I have been grateful ever since...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom