The Clone Wars cartoon (1 Viewer)

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone been checking this out? Not to go all geek on y'all but I was so disappointed with the new films and the characterization of Anakin I never watched. Plus I checked out the ones they did between AotC and RotS and they were just awful. My son has been watching them religiously however. So during the season finale I happened to be in the room on my laptop and found my eyes drifting to it.

It's good. I mean really really good. I've gone back and watched a number of the episodes since then. I wish they would have skipped the movies and just made this. The characterization of Anakin is exactly what I'd always imagined. He's a noble, immensely powerful and overconfident military leader who consistently breaks the rules doing what he thinks is right. The relationship between he and Obi Wan isn't presented as a spoiled brat and his daddy like the movies but rather a competent warrior and a proud but concerned mentor. The Anakin character is likable, VERY likable, and that's what he should be. He never whines or complains but rather is focused and determined.

Another thing they do well is show the power difference between Anakin and everyone else. Yoda and Mace Windu or about the only two that do things as effortlessly as Anakin. Where you see others struggle and concentrate you see Anakin just wave his hand and it happens.

I also love that some episode focus on lesser known Jedi from the movies. You see characters like Plo Koon get entire episodes dedicated to them. The military confrontation aspect of the story is also handled superbly.

I would recommend any Star Wars fans who haven't checked it out do so before season 2 starts. You won't be disappointed. It is what the new films should have been.

My little boy watches this at every chance. He's a Star War's junkie and he's only 6. we have light saber battles daily. And yes, its very good.

After my initial hatred for the type of animation it is (not sure why, but at first, the characters looked terrible, doll like, to much like action figures) I enjoy it. I record them and watch whenever I need a star wars fix. I am a nerd when it comes to star wars.

is it better than the clone wars mini-shorts that was done on cartoon network before revenge of the sith came out?

thse were also great

is it better than the clone wars mini-shorts that was done on cartoon network before revenge of the sith came out?

thse were also great

I didn't like the mini-shorts they did. I found the animation terrible and the characterization of Anakin absolutely horrible.

These are much much better.

They seem to be torn between making a show for kids and for adults...and sometimes it doesn't work. Some of the things they do are SO CHILDISH I'm embarrassed to have it on...but then amount of dying in it is more gruesome than I would expect for a kids show....

I don't know. I'm on the fence. On one hand it's cool at times and I'm starved for good scifi...on the other, it's for kids....and being so, gets VERY childish. I wonder how these kids handle the third movie where Anakin slaughters toddlers and becomes pure evil.

I really wish they could make an adult one and put it on Adult Swim...but I guess Lucas has been making everything childish since RotJ. If there was good scifi out I would skip it...but I'm desperate.

How was the movie of it?

I didn't like the movie as much as the show but it wasn't terrible. They introduced Ahsoka in it and I really like her character even though I'm not that hot on the idea of Anakin with a Padawan (and neither is he). It just didn't feel like a movie, even an animated one.

I get what you mean about some of the childishness but I find it to be few and far between. It isn't the overriding theme just a sprinkle of Jar Jar or C3PO doing something goofy like Amidala ordering 3PO to go get her coat in the episode with the invisible snow droids or Jar Jar in the episode the Separatists captured Amidala. That was the worst. Half the episode was just Jar Jar and C3PO together. I ended up fast forwarding past their scenes.

Also I find they have goofy episodes rather than contaminating every episode with the goofiness. I can live with that.

I get what you mean about some of the childishness but I find it to be few and far between. It isn't the overriding theme just a sprinkle of Jar Jar or C3PO doing something goofy like Amidala ordering 3PO to go get her coat in the episode with the invisible snow droids or Jar Jar in the episode the Separatists captured Amidala. That was the worst. Half the episode was just Jar Jar and C3PO together. I ended up fast forwarding past their scenes.

I started most of the way in so I only caught like 6 episodes....but those were two of them. Maybe it's just them tainting the way I see the show....wow, that jarjar one was bad.

Hopefully that's all it was.

I started most of the way in so I only caught like 6 episodes....but those were two of them. Maybe it's just them tainting the way I see the show....wow, that jarjar one was bad.

Hopefully that's all it was.

That jarjar one was extremely horrible, but so were the two episodes where ObiWan, Skywalker and Count Duku got captured and held prisoner together by pirates (and jarjar saves the day), and so were the two episodes where Skywalker, his childish assistant Jedi, and another Jedi crash-land on a planet where they found a tribe of monkey-looking colonists that live in huts and live by a code of peace and nonviolence... and so was the episode where ObiWan and Skywalker are on a snow planet where they act as mediators between a tribe of spear-carrying primitive snow creatures and the humanoid alien commander that doesn't want his people to agree to peace with them.

But all the other episodes I saw weren't that bad. Sure, it is a kids cartoon on the Cartoon Network. Much of the writing is horrible, much of the dialogue is horrible, some of the characters are annoying... but it's just a kid's cartoon.

Despite all that, it has a cool theme... Star Wars (specifically an ongoing galactic battle between the Jedi and their clone army against the Sith and their droid army... of course both sides have leaders, spaceships, weapons, bases, military strategies, spies, special missions, etc).

And the computer graphics are pretty awesome.

So despite all the flaws, the cartoon is entertaining.

clone-wars-02.jpg

star-wars-clone-wars.jpg

star-wars-the-clone-wars-season-1-20090327075037207.jpg

I am a pretty big Star Wars fan, but somehow missed this whole series. After watching S1 of Mando, I have gone back and watched the first season of this...and can't wait to view the other seasons ASAP...it is really great, and early on I agree with the OP about the characterization of Anakin and love seeing other Jedi--esp Ahsoka! Should also be noted that after a long break they are coming back for a final season in Feb.

I am a pretty big Star Wars fan, but somehow missed this whole series. After watching S1 of Mando, I have gone back and watched the first season of this...and can't wait to view the other seasons ASAP...it is really great, and early on I agree with the OP about the characterization of Anakin and love seeing other Jedi--esp Ahsoka! Should also be noted that after a long break they are coming back for a final season in Feb.

It just gets better with each season. Some of the best Star Wars story telling was done on this show. I am super excited for the new season to finish things off.

Also, if you like CW, check out Star Wars Rebels. It's every bit as good and really gets into a lot of Jedi lore. Plus Grand Admiral Thrawn is in it. One of the best Star Wars villains ever. Vader is in it as well and James Earl Jones does the voice.

It just gets better with each season. Some of the best Star Wars story telling was done on this show. I am super excited for the new season to finish things off.

Also, if you like CW, check out Star Wars Rebels. It's every bit as good and really gets into a lot of Jedi lore. Plus Grand Admiral Thrawn is in it. One of the best Star Wars villains ever. Vader is in it as well and James Earl Jones does the voice.
And the creator for both, Dave Filoni- also co-creator of The Mandalorian - is1/3rd of the Star Wars brain trust moving forward
That seems a positive development

Nice to see this bumped. I started watching after The Mandalorian finale, as well. I remember trying to watch TCW when it first premiered on CN and just couldn't get into it. Now, I'm hooked(the show seems to lend itself to binging). Looking forward to its return in Feb.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom