The Coin Toss (I believe we are 0-5) (2 Viewers)

NOLAJM504

-McNucca-
Reaction score
I might be mistaken, but I do believe we have received the ball each and every game due to losing the coin toss. It backfired on Carolina last week. Am I alone in preferring to get the ball first in the second half for once?

I hate getting the ball first. If you don't score, you're sort of behind. Having the ball in the second half means you either get a chance to further bury your opponent, take the lead, or get a much-needed start at playing catchup.

Winning the coin toss doesn't necessarily mean we'll defer with Payton. :hihi: But, yeah, I prefer to get the ball to start the second half.

I'd rather get the ball first. If you can drive down like we did last week and put a score on the board it can set the tempo for the whole first half. While I understand the defer pros I just prefer if we can go lay one on them early. Ideally I like for us to have that long first drive then immediately get them on a 3 and out. The later part of that doesn't happen these days as much as it should but if you can do that you get them on their heels early.

I'd rather get the ball first. If you can drive down like we did last week and put a score on the board it can set the tempo for the whole first half. While I understand the defer pros I just prefer if we can go lay one on them early. Ideally I like for us to have that long first drive then immediately get them on a 3 and out. The later part of that doesn't happen these days as much as it should but if you can do that you get them on their heels early.

I like getting the ball first only at home games. When we are away, I prefer to defer.

We've done that every week, the difference last week is that the defense held. Against the falcons we got the ball, marched down the field and scored, then the defense played a great first series then Harris decided he needed to run head first into the returner and the wheels came off.

I'm not completely sure, but I vaguely remember hearing the announcer say we won the coin toss and deferred this past Sunday. I'm could very well be imagining that though... lol

Normally getting the ball after halftime is better, but not with our proven record of scoring on the opening first drive.

Didn't we have a similar streak a couple of years ago? Something crazy like 10 straight games or something?

I don't recall a time that we haven't taken the ball when we win the toss. At least at home anyway. Possibly could have happened on the road for a weather advantage.

I believe we take the ball on O every chance we get. Offense Is our biggest strength. We do not know what can happen with turnovers etc, so I will take the ball first. I want our strongest part out on the field the most/longest. Every chance to score increases our odds.

Payton doesn't want to rush us into a 7-0 deficit. And in many cases, if our defense is put on the field first, that's what we are going to get.

I hate getting the ball first. If you don't score, you're sort of behind. Having the ball in the second half means you either get a chance to further bury your opponent, take the lead, or get a much-needed start at playing catchup.

This. Exactly this. Another thing to think about is that if you get the ball to start the 2nd half you're getting the first chance to score after halftime adjustments. You've seen what the defense is trying to do and you can take advantage of that.

No lead is ever safe in today's football. You can be up 21 points in the 2nd quarter but if the other teams scores a TD right before half and then gets the ball after halftime and scores another TD, you're looking at a one possession game. On the flip side, if you have a big lead you can break a team's will by scoring again to start the 2nd.

It seems like more and more teams are deciding to defer. It seems like teams with great defenses used to be the only teams who deferred. Most coaches wanted the ball thinking they would march down the field, score, and have the other team playing catch up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom