The Coin Toss (I believe we are 0-5) (1 Viewer)

We are one of the best if not the best at scoring a TD on the first drive to start the game. Coach knows this and that is why he likes to take the kickoff.

I just don't like it though. It sets us up with momentum, and we could easily go down 0-7 if we didn't get the opening kick off, but halftime is like a momentum reset.

I don't want the momentum in the first half. I want the momentum in the 2nd half when it matters. So even though we get that first TD, alot of times we let the other team score after half, and from then on they have the momentum.

We should just save our scripted plays that we normally start out with for the 2nd half kick off.

But I don't think it's a huge deal, if we sucked at scoring on the first drive then obviously we would defer, but we are so good at it I don't think Payton will ever change.

You don't get to use your scripted plays in the second half. Adjustments have typically been made at that point and if you liked something enough to script it then you have most likely already used it.

With the way this team is structured and how its been since Payton and Brees, you gotta go for the ball first. At least in this case, you almost always get what you want.

Going through the scripted 15 is Payton's way of testing the gameplan and seeing what works. The defense doesn't have to start on the field right away and more often than not, will be playing with a lead when its time to go. With this defense theres a good chance we start the game down 0-7 and if the offense goes 3 and out, we could be in a 2 possession deficit before we get anything rolling.

I personally choose to defer as well, but with this team, I would want the ball first.

Given the makeup of our team right now we need to start every game with 7-0 lead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom