The Conspiracy Narrative Around Here (1 Viewer)

Does the NFL have a systematic mandate to promote and/or eliminate some teams to be successful?

• Yes

Votes: 114 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 78 40.6%

• Total voters
Uh-oh. You're playing with fire. :ROFLMAO:

I don't think so. As far as the 'no-call' goes (where this whole conspiracy narrative started), I think it's a narrative created by fans to escape the reality that it was their HoF QB who lost what was likely the last realistic shot at another SB in his era. It's easier to blame a call for a devastating loss (in which the team had more than a few chances to score while the defense repeatedly did their job, including winning the toss in OT only to have him throw a Winston-ball to nobody.) than the QB who got you there, the QB who habitually choked each playoff game away. It's easier to say that the refs are against your team as the reason they lost. It's naïve to think that the NFL, a nearly 100 billion dollar corporation, would risk everything to nudge/rig a game for a slight bit more profit. Everything they built, just gone. No more money, no more anything. It's ludicrous to even think that's a possibility. This isn't underground boxing.

Let's put this another way. If you're a Saints fan, and you believe the NFL is rigged/nudged toward a certain storyline/narrative, then doesn't that mean this team's Superbowl win means nothing? It had everything. The Storyline: Coming back from Katrina, the Aint's to the Saints, Drew Brees and Sean Payton being easy to root for. The Team: High-flying, balanced offense. Opportunistic defense. So, basically, that SB was given to the Saints because of a redemption story? Just like the Rams moving to LA., but, no! Wait! In the least surprising turn of events ever, Brady wins another ring. What a twist. You can't claim there's a narrative in the NFL, but make it disappear when it's most convenient for you.
1) The reason the QB threw the winston-like pass was because of another ref no call for roughing the passer.
2) it doesn’t mean that our SB win means nothing because a) it happen 4 1/2 years after Katrina. If it was a Katrina gift they would’ve done it sooner, like maybe 2006. b) just because they are playing favorites and creating storlylines now, doesn’t mean they have always done it.

There was a blatant pass interference not called against the Rams.
The Rams were moving into the largest market in the U.S.
It certainly smells like a conspiracy to get them into the Super Bowl
Word.

The amount of sympathy I got living in Philly, of all places, was amazing, and the consensus among my many Iggles fan friends was that the word was obviously out that “Rams in the Super Bowl” was a desired league outcome.

If we’re prone to conspiracy theories we’re not alone.

Pretty much everybody knows a Code Red when they see one.

Frankly I find all the dialog on the SSF pertaining to a systematic mandate of favoritism by the NFL to be both paranoidal & childish.
"Whaaaaaaa, they don't like my team! Whaaaaaaaa!!!" :jpshakehead:

I am finding this mindset among many (if not most) of the members to be at least somewhat irritating. And i really don't get it for a LOT of reasons. But I thought I'd attempt to see just how prevalent this thinking is around here by making a poll. It's up to you is you wish to respond to it. I won't ask for identification. It's just to see how far we've all moved into the ranks of conspiracy theorists.

It happens my friend.

So Goodell decided to condemn a ratings bonanza and money making team like the Saints forever simply because Sean Payton didn’t like the way he was disciplined in 2012, huh???

Got it! :jpshakehead:
Did you start this thread just to make fun of people after they give their opinion? Again, I don't think there is a conspiracy. I think Goodell hates SP and will stick it to him every chance he gets. And he has.

It just becomes irritating that every discussion around here where our Saints don’t have things go our way the narrative turns into how the league is deliberately keeping us down. Yet for the last 4 years the Saints have won no less than 11 games in the season. Why is a team who is consistently getting some of the highest ratings on TV now hated by the league and are no longer eligible to advance to the Super Bowl? It makes no sense. Yet when we fail it’s always the refs/league’s fault.

EVERY discussion's narrative turns into a conspiratorial plot against us? I wouldn't disagree that sometimes conspiracy theory runs itself into the conversations here, but for the most part I've found SR to be a pretty reasonable place for discussion.

I would add that the general attempt at parity in the NFL - by design! - lends itself very well to the "any given Sunday" approach it is has sold to the masses via their tv contracts and embracing of fantasy football (and now gambling). Combine that with the American notions of fairness and rooting for the underdog and I think you may be supporting the conspiracy theorists rather than arguing against them when you talk about highest ratings: people don't watch because they want to see the better team win, they want to see the favorites lose.

All goofiness aside: the NFL doesn't care why you watch. They only care that you watch. Make of that what you will.

In my case it has nothing to do with “them not liking my team.” It’s about greed, and money. And it’s real, in all sports. Love ya as a poster and sorry that annoys you, to each their own with beliefs. At least I hope it’s still that way.
Who Dat.

It's not some big shadow conspiracy with games being fixed or whatever. It's really simple. Roger Goodell hates Sean Payton. SP didn't cower before his might during the bounty fiasco. SP was told to do something and he didn't do it. He disobeyed the man. SP has been very vocal about the way he feels about the league and that's a big no no. He even wore the infamous Goodell clown shirt lol. So yeah, Goodell has it out for the Saints because of Sean Payton.

It's not a mystery. The Saints are handled differently when it comes to punishments. And I think Goodell's disdain for SP has a trickle down effect. His bias tilts the scales. Consciously or subconsciously, Stormtroopers are going to try to please Lord Vader.

You also have to remember that Sean Payton is the main reason the teams could challenge the refs’ calls the very next season. Refs are humans too(at least I think so) and I’m pretty sure they weren’t too pleased with that!

FIFA, possibly the most corrupt sports organization, actually have a ref up in a booth that will buzz the main ref if they need to double check if the missed a penalty or a red card etc. NFL can easily do that, but prefer not to.

Frankly I find all the dialog on the SSF pertaining to a systematic mandate of favoritism by the NFL to be both paranoidal & childish.

I am finding this mindset among many (if not most) of the members to be at least somewhat irritating. And i really don't get it for a LOT of reasons. But I thought I'd attempt to see just how prevalent this thinking is around here by making a poll. It's up to you is you wish to respond to it. I won't ask for identification. It's just to see how far we've all moved into the ranks of conspiracy theorists.
I think your just trying to get a percentage number that you can call cry babies and tell them they all need to get over it and grow up!

Did you start this thread just to make fun of people after they give their opinion? Again, I don't think there is a conspiracy. I think Goodell hates SP and will stick it to him every chance he gets. And he has.
Bill is a die hard about this topic for sure. I think a lot of folks/fans would be devastated to know how corrupt it all is. It’s entertainment, plain and simple. Similar lines to the WWE or whatever the newest wrestling organization is called.

So Goodell decided to condemn a ratings bonanza and money making team like the Saints forever simply because Sean Payton didn’t like the way he was disciplined in 2012, huh???

Got it! :jpshakehead:

It's called the long game. They need for at least one team if not two teams to be successful in LA. How many LA Rams fans were there before the 2018 season and how much did that fan base grow after that SB appearance? So, yeah it may not have been a good SB (I wouldn't know, I didn't watch it), but their fan base has expanded quite a bit since then. The NFL doesn't care about the hardcore fan, but the casual fan who they can pick up pretty easy with a flashy new team, in a new stadium and back to an old/big market.

I ask this about the thought process of creating this thread…

Attachments

• FD4F572C-AFEF-474E-B3FF-51E3D3D99955.jpeg
    FD4F572C-AFEF-474E-B3FF-51E3D3D99955.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 6

Bill, honest Q, as I like ya:
Is any thought that isn’t mainstream group think automatically a conspiracy?

Is it that far fetched to think that greed can influence a multi billion dollar sport? Have you not seen the scandals from the other major sports leagues, fixing games and such?

As I’m not a bigot I won’t belittle you, make fun of, for not thinking as I do. I hope we are always free to disagree, and civilly. 😊

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom