the constant bottom of the roster shuffling is infuriating (1 Viewer)

Da Living Saint

Drew Brees!
Reaction score
before I start with this, I want to make it clear that I understand that the last 5 or so roster spots are fluid, and that there are players being cut or sitting at home who are likely just as talented as the guys we already have on our roster. that being said....

the incessant cutting and signing of bottom of the barrel guys is so demoralizing and indicative of desperation and/or the idea that they can outsmart other teams.

there is no planet on which keeping Forbath over Barth really made much sense seeing as how Forbath missed a preseason kick and Barth didn't. Didn't we cut Hopkins because he missed preseason kicks and Hocker didn't? There isn't a universe in which then cutting Forbath for some rookie UDFA to kick Week 1 makes any sense. this is the same stuff that got us Hocker > Hopkins. Barth has more skins on the wall as an NFL kicker and had a better preseason. Yet here we are 5 days before Week 1 with Will Lutz.

Can you possibly imagine what will happen if this kid misses a kick and we lose by 3 or less? The knives will be out after the first game.

Cutting Finnegan is nonsensical as well. Is Sterling Moore a better player at this point in his career? Perhaps. Are they both better players than Ken Crawley? Almost definitely. Not to mention Finnegan brings veteran presence that Moore really doesn't. He's a vet but Finnegan was an All-Pro type player for a few years. Also, Finnegan has been in camp for a month and Moore hasn't and we're 5 days before the first game.

We're gonna sign Evans off the scrap heap after almost an entire offseason of non-activity and start him because we refused to address the guard position.

It just seems so desperate that we're looking for guys to play major roles on this team by scouring the waiver wire this late in the preseason. Maybe a lot of this is to make sure we don't guarantee guys an entire season's salary but that's so cheap and so risky. I'd rather guarantee Forbath's salary all season and have him kick a game winner in Week 1 than not guarantee him a full season and have Lutz shank one. I hate it.

before I start with this, I want to make it clear that I understand that the last 5 or so roster spots are fluid, and that there are players being cut or sitting at home who are likely just as talented as the guys we already have on our roster. that being said....

the incessant cutting and signing of bottom of the barrel guys is so demoralizing and indicative of desperation and/or the idea that they can outsmart other teams.

there is no planet on which keeping Forbath over Barth really made much sense seeing as how Forbath missed a preseason kick and Barth didn't. There isn't a universe in which then cutting Forbath for some rookie UDFA to kick Week 1 makes any sense. this is the same stuff that got us Hocker > Hopkins. Barth has more skins on the wall as an NFL kicker and had a better preseason. Yet here we are 5 days before Week 1 with Will Lutz.

Can you possibly imagine what will happen if this kid misses a kick and we lose by 3 or more? The knives will be out after the first game.

Cutting Finnegan is nonsensical as well. Is Sterling Moore a better player at this point in his career? Perhaps. Are they both better players than Ken Crawley? Almost definitely. Not to mention Finnegan brings veteran presence that Moore really doesn't. He's a vet but Finnegan was an All-Pro type player for a few years. Also, Finnegan has been in camp for a month and Moore hasn't and we're 5 days before the first game.

We're gonna sign Evans off the scrap heap after almost an entire offseason of non-activity and start him because we refused to address the guard position.

It just seems so desperate that we're looking for guys to play major roles on this team by scouring the waiver wire this late in the preseason. Maybe a lot of this is to make sure we don't guarantee guys an entire season's salary but that's so cheap and so risky. I'd rather guarantee Forbath's salary all season and have him kick a game winner in Week 1 than not guarantee him a full season and have Lutz shank one. I hate it.
Don't hold back.

Don't hold back.

I just don't understand this at all. It just seems like we're taking HUGE risks in order not to pay guys a vested vet minimum. It seems totally unnecessary.

Why did we sign Khalif Barnes and then cut him after like 4 days after playing below average in the 4th preseason game? Was he good? No. Did it really matter that much? Why trade for Chris McCain to watch him suck in one preseason game? That was a stupid trade in the first place because the guy never showed any real talent in Miami, but if you think he's legitimately talented, give up the 7th rounder.

it drives me nuts.

All of the guys that were cut had guaranteed contracts if they were on the roster in Week 1. The Saints are staying flexible by cutting these guys, then come Monday they'll (more than likely) bring those guys back if they hadn't signed somewhere else.

The only guy of that bunch that was gonna get significant playing time would be Forbath. Relax. They are doing what they have to do to survive this season with little cap space.

I just don't understand this at all. It just seems like we're taking HUGE risks in order not to pay guys a vested vet minimum. It seems totally unnecessary.
I agree that it's questionable.

Particular the 10 season running joke that is the kicker situation. This is the kind of stuff that bites you hard and would get you fired by most organizations if the gamble fails.

Lot of valid points. You'll probably get flamed by the same people that think their kids do no wrong. The Brees deal (while I believe will get done) should have been done sooner allowing us to sign or make runs at other positions the last few weeks.
I just want to win...

All of the guys that were cut had guaranteed contracts if they were on the roster in Week 1. The Saints are staying flexible by cutting these guys, then come Monday they'll (more than likely) bring those guys back if they hadn't signed somewhere else.

The only guy of that bunch that was gonna get significant playing time would be Forbath. Relax. They are doing what they have to do to survive this season with little cap space.

Kickers are a huge deal. Remember Hartley 2010? That missed kick ruined our season. Finnegan would've played enough. Moore probably won't even be active Sunday. There's only 16 games man. You lose one because you're playing shell games with roster spots and it's a sunk cost. This isn't MLB.

Yeah they might have been guaranteed contracts but guaranteed for how much? This is pennies.

NFL Transactions Report

We're not exactly unique here.

Will Lutz is now our kicker for week 1, we just cut our only veteran/dime back in the CB group and we're likely going to start a castoff guy who we just cut at guard.

But they just signed a veteran CB that you would think by the rules they must now guarantee salary for. So Finnegan is gone?

Is Forbath really about $$$ or just the same braintrust that is inept on kickers think they now struck gold?

By law of averages, maybe they have a shot to guess right.

Why did we sign Khalif Barnes and then cut him after like 4 days after playing below average in the 4th preseason game? Was he good? No. Did it really matter that much? Why trade for Chris McCain to watch him suck in one preseason game? That was a stupid trade in the first place because the guy never showed any real talent in Miami, but if you think he's legitimately talented, give up the 7th rounder.

it drives me nuts.

You know we didn't give up anything cause he didn't make the roster. The Barnes deal is only weird to me cause we worked him out today after cutting him over the weekend....that doesn't make sense.

there is no planet on which keeping Forbath over Barth really made much sense seeing as how Forbath missed a preseason kick and Barth didn't. There isn't a universe in which then cutting Forbath for some rookie UDFA to kick Week 1 makes any sense. this is the same stuff that got us Hocker > Hopkins. Barth has more skins on the wall as an NFL kicker and had a better preseason. Yet here we are 5 days before Week 1 with Will Lutz.

Can you possibly imagine what will happen if this kid misses a kick and we lose by 3 or more? The knives will be out after the first game.

Well I agree Barth should've been kept over Forbath but the Ravens can really scout talent and they liked this Lutz kid. Let us see what he has before crucifying him and saying he is worse. I don't care what his college or preseason stats are can he kick in a NFL game? That has yet to be determined so how can you say that he is worse than Forbath? At least let the kid play a couple of games so we can get an idea of what he has got. Could be he shows out and we don't have to worry about a kicker for 8+ years. I agree the G position should've been better addressed and there could be moves to come involving that. I don't really care about vet presence thats what they said Browner was going to be but if you can't play you can't play. If younger guys are better than older players or have more potential let the young cats become leaders. Look at what Cooks has done at the WR position now that we dont have a vet there, he has become a young leader. Crawley's potential is way higher than Finnegan and its been years since Finnegan was even decent. Carolina's front seven made him look adequate why don't you think they tried to resign him with their CB situation if he was so good.....Moore is an upgrade. I don't know how you can fault a team or trying to make itself better no matter how late in the year it is. If you get a chance to upgrade your roster even a little bit you take it. Much better than sitting on your heels and doing nothing. I like that our team is staying active looking for upgrades and any possible improvemnt...Thats my two cents

Ok, I'm going to soapbox here a bit.

Who the heck cares about guys like Forbath (who isn't exactly a world beater kicker), or the 5th CB on the team? If you're guy # 50-53 on this roster, you're day can come at any moment. There are no all stars there. Stop being so darn wound up over minor transactions.

The only thing I can figure that has everyone freaking out is that we all are hoping/thinking that every cut means we found some guard out of the ashes that will save our season! Or there is an amazing trade where we got an All Pro for a super low cap hit and a conditional 7th round pick!

Pretty much, we have who we have. Time to accept it and realize the bottom few positions will change every single week. And honestly, they really don't matter much.

Well I agree Barth should've been kept over Forbath but the Ravens can really scout talent and they liked this Lutz kid. Let us see what he has before crucifying him and saying he is worse. I don't care what his college or preseason stats are can he kick in a NFL game? That has yet to be determined so how can you say that he is worse than Forbath? At least let the kid play a couple of games so we can get an idea of what he has got. Could be he shows out and we don't have to worry about a kicker for 8+ years. I agree the G position should've been better addressed and there could be moves to come involving that. I don't really care about vet presence thats what they said Browner was going to be but if you can't play you can't play. If younger guys are better than older players or have more potential let the young cats become leaders. Look at what Cooks has done at the WR position now that we dont have a vet there, he has become a young leader. Crawley's potential is way higher than Finnegan and its been years since Finnegan was even decent. Carolina's front seven made him look adequate why don't you think they tried to resign him with their CB situation if he was so good.....Moore is an upgrade. I don't know how you can fault a team or trying to make itself better no matter how late in the year it is. If you get a chance to upgrade your roster even a little bit you take it. Thats my two cents

1) I don't know if Lutz is worse than Forbath but now really isn't the time to find out.

2) Moore might be better than Finnegan but he might not even be active Sunday.

We'll need every dollar imaginable (for the remainder of the season) bc Brees' deal won't get done before Friday. I'm fine with shuffling bottom roster players, as long as it makes sense. Which (to me), the Finnegan move was just stupid. As for the kicker decision........well.......we haven't made any good kicker situations in the past 10 years. I'm grown accustom to that.

Our front office has made too many questionable decisions since 2011. What happened between 2011-present? Loomis gets promoted to manage both the Saints and the Pels and Payton gets two contract extensions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom