The cost of beating the Saints - historic playoff losses (1 Viewer)

HouseCall

Resist, Ronald, resist!
Reaction score
Watching the Vikings look like warmed over garbage against the Niners less than a week after looking like world beaters against the Saints got me thinking...

The Saints have qualified for the postseason 13 times in their history. Of those 13 seasons, we’ve been eliminated 12 times.

Of those 12 losses, only two teams that have beaten us in the playoffs have gone on to win their next game. The 1987 Vikings and the 2013 Seahawks — with only the Seahawks actually winning the Super Bowl.

So 10 times, the Saints have been eliminated from the postseason and the team that eliminated them lost the next game.

Just curious how that makes everyone feel?

Im honestly torn about it.

On one hand it means we typically don’t have to see the team that beat us hoist the Lombardi — but on the other hand, it’s kind of a bummer to see a team send us packing and then lay an egg the next week.

Below is the history of the playoff games/ losses.

You can see in many cases, not only did the team lose, they got absolutely smashed. Again, not sure how that makes me feel, but curious if anyone on here has any opinions?

87’ Vikings - beat Niners in Divisional and lost in NFC title game.

90’ Bears - lost the next week to the Giants 31-3.

91’ Falcons - lost the next week 24-7 to the Redskins.

92’ Eagles - lost the next week 34-10 to the Cowboys.

00’ Vikings - lost the next week 41-0 to the Giants.

06’ Bears - lost the next game (Super Bowl) 29-17 to the Colts.

10’ Seahawks - lost the next week 35-24 to the Bears.

11’ 49ers - lost the next week 20-17 to the Giants.

13’ Seahawks - Beat Niners in NFC Title
Game and won Super Bowl.

17’ Vikings lost the next week 38-7 to the Eagles.

18’ Rams lost the next game (Super Bowl) 13-3 to the Patriots.

19’ Vikings lost the next week 27-10 to the 49ers.

Sounds like next gen stays. And I don’t think most of those stats mean too much.

It means we were worse than the team we lost to...and far worse than the eventual Champion. I would feel better if the team that beat us went on to be the Champion.

Honestly not excited about being other team’s playoff speedbump.

It’s not a good look to be mediocre vs a team that goes on to get curb stomped in their next game.
It’s an even worse look when that team keeps winning.
At least now, that WC loss will get buried.

given who was left in the playoffs was kinda rooting for Vikings and Titans lol rather another team without a superbowl victory get it done.

I feel content when the opponent can't parlay their win over us into anything meaningful. "If we can't win it all, neither can you" type of vibe. They don't get to be happy for very long at our expense. We suck. So do you.

given who was left in the playoffs was kinda rooting for Vikings and Titans lol rather another team without a superbowl victory get it done.
I live in Minneapolis and this what I have said to all the die hard Viking fans. Any team w/o a superbowl win is who I typically pull for after we're out.

None of this amounts to anything.

Brees blew a chance at his second ring this year.

This team should be embarrassed at that performance. Everyone was afraid to play the Saints and we let them of the hook.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom