Saints The Countdown (1 Viewer)

And one of my all time favorite Benson photo's.
Benson and the Pope.png

I swear the Pope is telling Benson....."I wish I had me one of these rings"
That is a good one. I found several other good ones but I could not use due to limitations of how many you can post. I like these as well.Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 6.30.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-14 at 6.26.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-14 at 6.38.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-14 at 6.23.19 AM.png

Man, I remember 2005 and the Saints playing, literally, 16 road games and with all that that entails... they still managed to have a 3-13 record, drafting Reggie Bush with the second pick ‘cause of it. Think about that, sixteen forking road games. Looking at those teams going 0-16 just makes me shake my head at their futility & weakness.

Tom Benson and the Saints are immortal.

Gayle Benson--our new owner. She was dedicated in life to Tom, and she is dedicated as our owner to his legacy. Gayle is an interior designer. She had two marriages before she met Tom, and neither was, as my dad used to say, anything to write home about. The first was annulled and the second ended in divorce after children were out of the house. And let's face the hard stuff. Lots of folks have called and are still calling Gayle a gold digger. And actually, the first time she met him, she admits it was because she wanted to get him to make a donation. To a church.

Gayle is the first woman to own an NFL and an NBA franchise, and she is determined to see them both continue to succeed. She learned the business from Tom, but she is definitely the one in control now. She is our owner, and it's a very good thing that our owner is so dedicated to the city and the area. She is involved on a daily basis, and gets along with the front office. And they seem to have a history of getting along with her. It's not like I can judge from far off, but all the pictures I've seen of her with the staff, those smiles look genuine. There just seems to be an authentic respect and regard there, and when you've got that going for your organization, a whole lot of little, petty problems either take care of themselves or they don't arise at all.

I think Gayle is going to make sure Loomis and Payton get what they need to build another Superbowl champion. That's what you need from the person at the head of your organization. Someone who doesn't try to micromanage (can you envision Gayle on the practice field telling Drew where his checkdowns are on a particular play), but who hires good people and lets them do their jobs and supports them. There's an art to that, I think. Keeping a touch, but a light one.

So here's to Gayle Benson, our owner. She deserves our support as she steps up to this task of bringing us another Lombardi trophy. Wouldn't it be so great if she did it in her first year? Let's pull for her the same as we pull for our favorite players. If I ever see her, I'm going to raise a glass. Whether I have one in my hand at the time or not. Just an acknowledgement. We're behind you. Go Gayle.

And one of my all time favorite Benson photo's.
Benson and the Pope.png

I swear the Pope is telling Benson....."I wish I had me one of these rings"

My post from another thread [ Article - Training camp lore has little to do with football ]:

From the Article Archive on that website [ JW Miller Sports ]:

Jim Finks and his Pals watched the Saints win the Super Bowl

NFC Championship Game, January 18, 2009

Seconds were ticking away at the end of regulation, and Brett Favre went to the sideline to ask Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress, “What shall we do?” Childress says “I don’t know. Let’s ask God.”

tp.gif

So they quickly pray and a voice comes back: “Put twelve men in the huddle.” Favre runs back on the field with 12 men and gets penalized for illegal substitution.
tp.gif

Favre again runs over to the sideline and says, “So what do we do now?” Again Childress looks to the heavens and asks, “God, what shall I do?” The voice comes back, “Tell Brett to throw that little pass across his body back to the wide side of the field right before he goes out of bounds.”
tp.gif

So he does and the ball is intercepted. Now it is overtime, and right before the coin toss, Favre asks Childress, “Should I call Heads or Tails?” Childress again asks for divine help and again the voice comes back, “Call Heads.” They lose the toss the Saints score and win a trip to the Super Bowl.
tp.gif

As Favre and Childress are walking to the bus, they decide to ask God about his ill-fated recommendations. God tells them, “Hold on. Hey, Finks, why did we tell them to put 12 in the huddle, throw the pass and call heads?”

[there's more to the article on the website...]

24 Vonn Bell 5’ 11” 205 S Ohio State

I like Bell. He has not been the ball hawk we thought we drafted, but he is a solid player and he blitzes well from the safety spot. He’s a strong guy and a good tackler. But we brought in Kurt Coleman to compete, as well. That’s in addition to fifth round pick Jamerson and Chris Banjo. But somebody is going to take Vaccaro's snaps, and Bell will have his chance to step up.

Like Bell too. He's a real hustler, never takes a play off. Some players need longer than others to peak out. All Bell needs is to get just a little better, he doesn't need a big leap.

23 Marshon Lattimore 6’ 192 CB Ohio State

What a man. Our first ever Defensive Rookie of the Year. 18 passes defended, 5 interceptions, and he’s just getting started. He wants to build on last year. Lately he has been shutting down Thomas and Ginn at camp. Mo.ti.vat.ed. Maybe the best surprise was how Lattimore helped lift the whole defense. Now that’s a combination effort, but when you’ve got a shut-down corner and that worry is taken away, all other players must feel just a little more confident. Can’t wait to see him back on the field.

Little bit of a leap there Tex.... shutting down Thomas and Ginn in Camp? But still... look for him to continue being a dominant force shutting down one side of the field turning it in to 10 on 10 ball.

If we win the superbowl you're going to have to include the bensons in the countdown @25 next season

If we win the superbowl you're going to have to include the bensons in the countdown @25 next season

Actually this isn't a bad idea, but I have a suggestion. We can fill the extra days of the 99 (Usually there's about 6 of them?) With Coach, the Superdome, the Bensons, and I'll have to come up with something for the other two.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom