The Countdown (1 Viewer)

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Hey, hey, hey, it’s that time, Saints fans. What guido calls the 4th (or possibly) 5th most wonderful time of the year. We just dropped from triple to double digits in the number of days before the season starts, and that means….wait for it….

THE COUNTDOWN!!!!

Here we go on our annual romp through the roster, counting down by jersey number the days until the first game of the Saints season. (Yes, I know the official season starts before the Saints first game this year. Friends of the Countdown can join this chorus: "We Don’t Care." First day of the season to us is Saints first game. Period. This is Countdown policy. Sticklers for technicalities, go be a lawyer.)

The last couple of years I’ve been on the road more and try to stay off strange WiFi. Which means I use my phone as a hotspot for my tablet. Not always the most reliable internet, even in big cities. So others on the board pitched in. Inside job was the first. Last year I threw doing the pics to the board. That led to the biggest improvement the Countdown has seen when SaintLuke took over the task. He’s got some real skills, and Luke has graciously agreed to be my partner again this year. I am so glad to have him. So a big thanks to Luke, who you will come to appreciate if you haven’t already.

We’ve got some really intriguing additions to this roster, and we are going to cover them one at a time. Before you know it (somewhere in the 50’s or 40’s) it’ll be training camp.

We have a rule here on the Countdown, and it’s one that I intend to enforce. We do not call players camp bodies. These are talented, trained athletes who are working hard and performing at a level that most of us can only ever dream about. And the fact that the Saints think they might play a role on the roster, that makes them our guys. And the ones who are not roster shoe-ins are pursuing a life long dream. We want them to succeed. Like remember a guy named Pierre Thomas? UDFA who beat out a fourth round RB for a roster spot, and proved forever that Sean Payton runs a meritocracy. Plus, the term is dismissive and therefore rude. We are not rude on saintsreport. Andrus set up a family atmosphere where we can disagree but do it in a respectful way. So you are not just free, but welcome to post your legitimate doubts or questions about any player. Just don’t call him a camp body. If you do, you will be asked point blank why you think so. And you will be shunned. You won’t feel it because it’s the internet, but you will still be shunned, and somehow you will not like it. I don’t know how that works. But it does. So play nice.

Now let’s start where we always do, with the big numbers and the big guys.

99 Geneo Grissom 6’ 4” 265 DE Oklahoma

We signed Grissom in the middle of May. He is reported to play all over the line. Our line, especially at DE is set, so it looks like Grissom will be using his versatility (which Payton loves) to make it onto the roster as rotational player on the line. Welcome to New Orleans, Geneo. Can’t wait for you to show us what you can do.

OP
OP
Saint Tex

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
24 Vonn Bell 5’ 11” 205 S Ohio State

Bell started off poorly last year, but played his way back into the starter position over Kurt Coleman. He ended the season as a solid presence at safety. Look for him to pick back up where he left off. We’ve got a great secondary taking shape this year.

OP
OP
Saint Tex

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
23 Marshon Lattimore 6’ 192 CB Ohio State

If you had to name a Saints defensive MVP not named Cam Jordan, that’s pretty much Lattimore. He has gotten better every year, but last year, he really came into his own. He is often lined up against the opponent’s best receiver, and even so, he was ranked as on of PFF’s top ten corners in the league. I love to watch him play. So much spirit and talent.

OP
OP
Saint Tex

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It’s fun that in the Countdown, we are right in the heart of the secondary, and today we will see how they do against a good qb with good receivers when we play the Chargers.

Will also be watching the return game. We’ve got three good returners in Harris, Sherels, and Grayson. Last week Grayson made a great catch on offense. This is a fun competition to follow.

VPCajun

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It’s fun that in the Countdown, we are right in the heart of the secondary, and today we will see how they do against a good qb with good receivers when we play the Chargers.

Will also be watching the return game. We’ve got three good returners in Harris, Sherels, and Grayson. Last week Grayson made a great catch on offense. This is a fun competition to follow.

Pssst - game is tomorrow:
http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2019/PRE/SAINTS

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saint Tex

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
22 C J Gardner-Johnson 5’ 11” 210 CB Florida

Our fourth round pick is reported to have a lot of potential, and not just at corner. He hits like a safety, and runs in the 4.4 range, so he can cover. He can also blitz. We took him early in the round, and whether he is seen as someone who can take the starter’s job or who can come onto the field in a variety of packages, we like his talent. It will be fun to watch him play, and fun to watch him develop.

OP
OP
Saint Tex

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’m thinking CJ will get some playing time today. Preseason games always start to drag, but I’m going to keep an eye out for 22.

OP
OP
Saint Tex

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
21 Patrick Robinson 5’ 11” 191 CB Florida State

Last year was the first of a four year contract after we brought Robinson back into the Who Dat fold. He landed on IR early in the season, but he’s back from the injury, and expect to see him do well. We signed him after he had a banner year with the Eagles. I like to see P-Rob roaming the secondary in the Dome dressed in black and gold. Best of health this year to you, Patrick. Go get em.

OP
OP
Saint Tex

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My wonderful new partner, Saint Luke, has reminded me that I haven’t posted yet. So had this on the to do list. Sorry everybody. Number 20 coming up, and many thanks to Saint Luke.

OP
OP
Saint Tex

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
20 Ken Crawley 6’ 1” 180 CB Colorado

Crawley has been up and down with the Saints. He has great plays, but then gives up big ones. Last year, we brought in Eli Apple after Robinson went to IR, and Apple took over the starting job pretty quickly. But Ken definitely has the chops to string together good plays. This is one area where we should be seeing things shake out during the next two games.

SaintLuke

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So we seem to be having issues today, for whatever reason I can't upload pictures on SR. Not sure whats going on but hope to get the pictures up soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
guillermo Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 27

Headlines

Top Bottom