The Countdown (1 Viewer)

Very intriguing player. It seems he was underutilized at ND because of suboptimal QB play. Cook, Hill, and Mack seems like a good group of TEs.
Suboptimal QB play. Very nice. I am going to use this in the future when I need to be polite but accurate. Suboptimal. Very, very nice.

Suboptimal QB play. Very nice. I am going to use this in the future when I need to be polite but accurate. Suboptimal. Very, very nice.
Courtesy of Jim Cramer. Having drafted a lot of messages of ire cloaked in civility, I tend to pick up on these sorts of expressions.

85 Dan Arnold 6’ 6” 220 TE Wisconsin Patteville

Arnold is still working to transition from wide receiver to the tight end position. With Benjamin Watson and Josh Hill in front of him last year, we didn’t get that many chances to see how this experiment is going. Lots to learn about blocking in the new position, but Sean Payton came up with the idea and likes Arnold in the position, so this will be a guy to watch in training camp.

The really interesting thing about this thread this year is just looking at how many players that will be listed will/should/could make the team. This roster is STACKED from top to bottom. I honestly think that going into training camp, this is BY FAR the deepest Saints roster in franchise history. We have 75-80 guys who can play in the NFL. Have played, can play or should play. This is the year that an expanded roster size would have really helped this team because they will cut a large number of people who will catch on with other teams before the season is over.

Thanks for this thread.

Also, I think it seems like we are at this again a little "soon" is because, for many of us, the off-season was a haze of rage.

84 Lil’ Jordan Humphrey 6’ 4” 225 WR Texas

Humphrey was a playmaker for the Horns, but did not run well at the combine. Improved on a 4.7 40 to the 4.6 range, but at that position, where you got some real burners, he's got to find another way to get separation. But he’s a big target and can box out defenders. And Drew Brees is known for throwing receivers open. Humphrey may well have had a gift fall his way by not being drafted and having some choice as to his team. He’s got a QB who helps all receivers, and so we are hoping to see production from him. Just a side note, Humphrey is at the size and weight where he might be another candidate to transition to tight end. At his pro day, he was doing blocking drills with the tight ends. I like that he is set to contribute however he can and is already thinking of how that might happen.

Nice pics from OTA days, Luke. It can be hard to find pics of our new guys in Saints gear. Nice touch.

And good points, JT. Although I was able to skip the rage part. Had to leave football behind during the off-season in order to do that. Not something I’ve done in the past, but there’s actually a lot of other life going on. And a lot of it is pleasant. I only re-engaged to do the Countdown. And I agree. This roster is packed in a very promising way.

Man, I hope Dan Arnold comes back and plays the way he was mid-season.
If he and Cook can show out at the TE position, we might be unstoppable on offense.

When Arnold dropped off our offense really started to stutter. Not sure if he was playing injured or what.

83 Cyril Grayson Jr. 5’ 9” 183 WR LSU

Here’s a guy to pull for. Grayson ran track in college, and was a national champion more than once. Runs a 4.31 40 He spent the last two years with the Seahawks and Bears, attempting a transition to football. Now he’s got a shot with his home town team. Payton knows how to use a small burner. This could be fun.

82 No number 82 on the roster, so we will use the day to go back and pick up Chad Hansen, who sneaked into jersey number 88 just when I was announcing to the board that it was empty. (Thanks to Kewee for catching that.)

88 Chad Hansen 6' 2" 202 WR California

Hansen is in his third year. He is a former 4th round pick by the Jets. He has played in a few games, and since then has spent time on the practice squads for the Pats and the Broncos. He's like our 13th wide receiver. We will be looking for help behind Michael Thomas, and it will be interesting to see if Hansen can step up. He did well at Cal when he had a good QB. And I hear there's a decent one in Foxboro, but as a practice squad player, Hansen probably caught passes from someone else. He's a good size, and has clocked a sub 4.5 forty. He could well be another one to watch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom