The Countdown (1 Viewer)

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, hey, hey, it’s that time, Saints fans. What guido calls the 4th (or possibly) 5th most wonderful time of the year. We just dropped from triple to double digits in the number of days before the season starts, and that means….wait for it….

THE COUNTDOWN!!!!

Here we go on our annual romp through the roster, counting down by jersey number the days until the first game of the Saints season. (Yes, I know the official season starts before the Saints first game this year. Friends of the Countdown can join this chorus: "We Don’t Care." First day of the season to us is Saints first game. Period. This is Countdown policy. Sticklers for technicalities, go be a lawyer.)

The last couple of years I’ve been on the road more and try to stay off strange WiFi. Which means I use my phone as a hotspot for my tablet. Not always the most reliable internet, even in big cities. So others on the board pitched in. Inside job was the first. Last year I threw doing the pics to the board. That led to the biggest improvement the Countdown has seen when SaintLuke took over the task. He’s got some real skills, and Luke has graciously agreed to be my partner again this year. I am so glad to have him. So a big thanks to Luke, who you will come to appreciate if you haven’t already.

We’ve got some really intriguing additions to this roster, and we are going to cover them one at a time. Before you know it (somewhere in the 50’s or 40’s) it’ll be training camp.

We have a rule here on the Countdown, and it’s one that I intend to enforce. We do not call players camp bodies. These are talented, trained athletes who are working hard and performing at a level that most of us can only ever dream about. And the fact that the Saints think they might play a role on the roster, that makes them our guys. And the ones who are not roster shoe-ins are pursuing a life long dream. We want them to succeed. Like remember a guy named Pierre Thomas? UDFA who beat out a fourth round RB for a roster spot, and proved forever that Sean Payton runs a meritocracy. Plus, the term is dismissive and therefore rude. We are not rude on saintsreport. Andrus set up a family atmosphere where we can disagree but do it in a respectful way. So you are not just free, but welcome to post your legitimate doubts or questions about any player. Just don’t call him a camp body. If you do, you will be asked point blank why you think so. And you will be shunned. You won’t feel it because it’s the internet, but you will still be shunned, and somehow you will not like it. I don’t know how that works. But it does. So play nice.

Now let’s start where we always do, with the big numbers and the big guys.

99 Geneo Grissom 6’ 4” 265 DE Oklahoma

We signed Grissom in the middle of May. He is reported to play all over the line. Our line, especially at DE is set, so it looks like Grissom will be using his versatility (which Payton loves) to make it onto the roster as rotational player on the line. Welcome to New Orleans, Geneo. Can’t wait for you to show us what you can do.

It's a good thing you established the "no camp body" policy. :mwink: But I see that this guy has a Senior Bowl jersey. That suggests that he has some promise.

And brava and bravo as the case may be for doing this. :9:

Hey Saint Tex and SaintLuke!

Thanks again for doing this it's always well done and very informative. Plus I'm still learning who's who with all the changes and additions!

Wow, it's The Countdown time already. Man, has this off season flown by. Always love SaintTex countdown. It was hard to believe it could get any better, but Saint Luke did a phenomenal job last year. Was a great addition. Thanks for both of you coming back for another year. It sooooooo makes the off-season go by so much better.

98 Sheldon Rankins 6’ 2” 305 DT Louisville

Sheldon had 8 sacks last year from the DT position. That’s nice production. Only problem is he may miss the beginning of the season while he rehabs an achilles injury. Word is the rehab is going well, it’s just this kind of injury may take longer to heal. So it may some time before we see Rankings back in the middle of the line, but injury or no, he is playing at a high level, and we’re glad he’s ours.

Thanks for all you do with this every year. Now it's really on. Double digit days until FOOTBALL! (Thanks to you too, Saint Luke, for the pics.) I know this is more work than most people really realize. If either of you need any extra help here and there, just shoot me a PM and I'll do whatever I can.

Oh, man, insidejob. Thank you for that offer of help. Don’t know if I will need it, but I’m so happy to have you in the wings.

97 Mario Edwards, Jr. 6’3” 280 DE Florida State

We signed Mario back in March, before the draft. He was an unrestricted free agent, and he likes the fit in New Orleans. He grew up in Gautier, MS. Although listed as a DE, he can play all along the line. Initially, expect to see him filling in for Rankings at end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom