The Countdown (1 Viewer)

66 Ryan Groy 6’ 5” 320 C Wisconsin

We’ve looked at players who have played both guard and tackle. Groy has played both of those and center. And fullback. That’s right. We know how Payton loves versatility, so it’s no surprise that a guy like Groy would get a look. He has bounced around the league in his 6 years, and has graded really well at times and not well at all at others. We will be looking most likely at a backup center, but an o-lineman who can carry the ball—that gets Payton thinking, so Groy just might stick on the 53 man roster.

If he played OL at Wisconsin, he’s good.

Dont need to read anything beyond that. Something is in the water up there, they just produce solid OL talent

77 Marshall Newhouse 6’ 4” 330 OG TCU

We signed Newhouse in May, and he got some good looks during mini-camp, playing at left tackle. He played for both the Panthers and Bills last year. He brings a veteran’s presence to the o-line, and we need insurance at the left tackle spot, so the team is giving him a very hard look.

Yeah if he's a keeper that's another #77 and a huge one to follow after Carl Nicks.

65 John Ulrick 6’ 5” 312 OT Georgia State

Ulrick has played for several teams in his 6 years, and last year was a backup tackle for the Pats. We signed him in the offseason to try him at essentially the same job. He will have competition from players who have played at more than one spot on the line, but he’s an athletic big guy, and those are especially cut out for the tackle spots.

If Ulrick makes it, that would double the number of players from Georgia State playing for the Saints.

64 Will Clapp 6’ 5” 311 C LSU

We drafted Clapp in the 7th round last year, and he made the roster. He was inactive, but did get into some games. He has experience at both guard and center, but when Unger retired, we got McCoy and Nick Easton to come in and compete for that position. Clapp will have competition for his roster spot this year. He’s a young player with some upside, but he’s at a crowded position with some very solid players firmly holding the starting positions. It will be interesting to see if he makes the final 53 this year, but if he doesn’t, he may well get a chance with another team.

The interior line roster logjam might mean the end of Clapp as a Saint. Then again, one of the other center/guards might not make it. It's going to be a tough competition.

63 Cameron Tom 6’ 4” 300 C Southern Mississippi

Tom was Unger’s backup at center last year, and he will be in the mix again, likely for the same job. I’m thinking McCoy has the center position to lose, but we need strong backups on the line. Tom’s play last year was a bit up and down when he got into games, and we are accustomed to consistency on the line. Still, he’s a young player and he knows the system. This will be an interesting training camp for the o-line.

The interior line roster logjam might mean the end of Clapp as a Saint. Then again, one of the other center/guards might not make it. It's going to be a tough competition.
Quoting myself. Just substitute Tom for Clapp.

Quoting myself. Just substitute Tom for Clapp.
It is going to be a battle, but they might both loose out to the guy we feature tomorrow.
Along with him, (Nick Easton), and the fact we drafted McCoy, plus we brought in Newhouse, they might both be gone.
I wonder if Tom has anymore practice squad eligibility left(I forgot the rules)
I am sure Clapp does.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom