The Countdown (1 Viewer)

62 Nick Easton 6’ 3” 303 C Harvard

We picked up Easton pretty quickly after Unger announced his retirement. He was the presumptive replacement until the draft when McCoy was available. The Vikings wanted to re-sign Nick, but we gave him a good contract, plus a great chance to play in such a solid line for a HOF QB. Then McCoy gets drafted. So we’ve got some really good talent at starter and some really good backups. Nice problem.

Last edited:
61 Marcus Henry 6’ 2” 303 C Boise State

Henry has been with the Saints back in 2016, and spent some time last season on Seattle’s practice squad. We signed him again in May. This is such a crowded position going into camp, we must have seen something we liked. There is not much out there about Henry since his college days, but he is managing to hang around with a couple of talented teams.

60 days left. There is no number 60 on the current roster, so we are going to use the day to celebrate and thank Max Unger.

Unger came to us in the Jimmy Graham trade. He is from Hawaii, spent his college and pro careers on the west coast, had never lived in the south and was very surprised that his team traded him. It was easy to see that he wasn't that thrilled about it at the time, but he has come to love and appreciate New Orleans, and when he retired, he thanked Payton for bringing him here.

Unger played great for us for four years, and has been such a solid guy and great teammate. But he feels that he is not able to play at the level he has in the past. Be clear that we are talking high standards here. Like he's a former All Pro and he just made the Pro Bowl. I have so much respect for a guy who feels that way. He is walking away from the game on his own terms--he apparently could have chosen surgery and kept playing, but this is his decision, and I'm happy for him. And happy we've had him. A shining star on a stellar line.

We wish you all the best, Max, like you gave us every play. And even though you weren't expecting the trade, I am so glad that you ended up happy with it. Because you have made a ton of Saints fans very grateful for such incredibly reliable play at center, whether protecting Brees or road grading ahead of Kamara. We love you, and are so glad are a Saint. You will always be one to us.

60 days left. There is no number 60 on the current roster, so we are going to use the day to celebrate and thank Max Unger.

Unger came to us in the Jimmy Graham trade. He is from Hawaii, spent his college and pro careers on the west coast, had never lived in the south and was very surprised that his team traded him. It was easy to see that he wasn't that thrilled about it at the time, but he has come to love and appreciate New Orleans, and when he retired, he thanked Payton for bringing him here.

Unger played great for us for four years, and has been such a solid guy and great teammate. But he feels that he is not able to play at the level he has in the past. Be clear that we are talking high standards here. Like he's a former All Pro and he just made the Pro Bowl. I have so much respect for a guy who feels that way. He is walking away from the game on his own terms--he apparently could have chosen surgery and kept playing, but this is his decision, and I'm happy for him. And happy we've had him. A shining star on a stellar line.

We wish you all the best, Max, like you gave us every play. And even though you weren't expecting the trade, I am so glad that you ended up happy with it. Because you have made a ton of Saints fans very grateful for such incredibly reliable play at center, whether protecting Brees or road grading ahead of Kamara. We love you, and are so glad are a Saint. You will always be one to us.

Hear hear and Amen! :clapbig:

59 Vince Biegel 6’ 3” 246 LB Wisconsin

Here’s one to watch. He played last year for us, but didn’t get reviewed in the Countdown because we added him right after the season started. He spent right at 3 weeks on the practice squad in September, and then got activated. Saw good playing time on special teams. He’s a very athletic guy, and he has played all three linebacker spots. Payton sees him playing special teams again, but also as a quality sort of utility backer. He’s a former fourth round pick, and he’s playing behind some really outstanding linebackers right now, but he just might keep hanging around and honing his craft while making a living on special teams. Belated welcome to the Countdown, Vince. We want you to do well.

Isn't he the guy that has a beef with another Saints LB?
I remember somebody leaving the field after a great play and went high five Biegel and he totally dissed him?
Maybe it was goldilocks?

58 Porter Gustin 6’ 5” 260 OLB USC

Gustin is another guy we signed right after the draft, and he was praised as a good get for the team. Injury concerns likely kept him from being drafted, but he is performing well right now. He’s probably projected as a situation rusher either from the edge on the line or from an OLB spot. He’s athletic and really strong. He’s another good one to watch at training camp. He could definitely work his way into the rotation on D.

57 days . Right now number 57 is Carl Granderson from Wisconsin. Granderson was given a free agent contract despite a pending trial on sexual assault charges. That trial was this week. Granderson entered a plea to reduced charges. The plea deal would have meant no jail time. The two women who were the victims were upset with the reduced charges, and the judge in the case refused to go along with the no jail time, in part because Granderson showed no remorse. That's a sad state of affairs all the way around. I do hope the victims can continue with the healing process, and also that Granderson will get to a state of mind where he is able to feel remorse and begin to reform. No comment from the Saints yet, who say they did their own background and were comfortable with signing him. As of now he's still on the roster, but we are not going to feature him today.

Instead, Luke had the idea to look at players in the past who wore number 57, including one of the greatest Saints in history.

We have had a lot of players who have worn #57 for the SAINTS throught the years. They have ranged from guys we no longer remember to a Hall-of-Famer none of us will ever forget. I certainly couldn't name all these guys, but why not try your luck at it. See how many you can identify.

PLAYER #1
avidhawthorne4.png

PLAYER #2
Colby Bockwoldt.png

PLAYER #3
Jaosdonkyle3.png

PLAYER #4
Jim Merlouni.png

PLAYER #5
okafor.png

PLAYER #6
Mike Morgan '71 .png

PLAYER #7
Rickey.png

I didn't make it easy on a few of them at first, but lets see how the Who Dats do and then I will add clues and additional pics if needed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom