The Curse of Oak Island (1 Viewer)

At some point these people in charge that want to prolong things and get ratings need to realize, actually solving the issue is more interesting to the public. They need someone with balls in charge to change things up and actually try to solve the thing. I think they would be rewarded with ratings.

The thing is there may ultimately be no "there" there. It could be something once was there and now is gone, or nothing was ever there. There's no guaranteed solution or discovery to be made.

The thing is there may ultimately be no "there" there. It could be something once was there and now is gone, or nothing was ever there. There's no guaranteed solution or discovery to be made.

Well just say they found nothing. That would be something. I think it it cool they found a coin. But that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a money pit. And why haven't they done any work on the pit itself? It doesn't make any sense. Why did they spend 5 episodes doing virtually nothing?

It is a cool story even if to dispel the myth. Why are they mocking it?

They're filming it as they are looking, so they don't know whether they will or won't find squat at the start of a season. I mean, that's sorta the definition of reality TV, you don't have the script ahead of time. As for not looking at the pit, I didn't see the first 3, but the 4th made it clear that they thought the pit was a diversion for folks that knew the treasure was on the island.

Maybe I'm missing something. But why did we spend so many episodes looking in the swamp or at rocks? Why didn't they investigate the actual pit? What a waste of time.

In the first few episodes, they were investigating the money pit.

However, there is an alternate theory that the pit itself is the booby trap, and that the actual treasure was buried elsewhere on the island, and then covered up by a man-made swamp. This theory was supported by the rocks they found, so that's when they changed their focus to the swamp.

I have Ben interested in Oak Island for a few years now. I watched a couple of shows from this series, but I am tired of the fad rivaled drama. I know it is the age of T.V? that we live in, but it really turns me off to a show. The whole "The kids are going to get a generator from the truck, while we are cutting down this tree. We are going to act like they were in grave danger and then have a 5 minute lecture about being careful and staying alive" or the narrator with the "Is the curse real and is the island going to make them pay for their intrusion?"

That said I am following this thread to get the highlights although real progress and discovery seem to be limited. I actually wish their was a team of legit experts from a range of disciplines from engineering to history to scientists and really sit down and crack the best way of unraveling the mystery. This seems to be like the Gold Rush show without an abundance of idiots, but the Oak Island crew seems far from experts and are kind of winging it.

Ok so moving on. I think on of the steps to solving the mystery is figuring out who created the paradox. It is obviously man made(although some think it is a natural sinkhole). It was well funded and needed a variety of resources. It needed some level of secrecy being that no one even knows who made it. It would have to be well planned and designed. It would have taken an engineering genius or group of them.

I debated with my father last night about who was the most likely to make it. We both dismissed pirates almost immediately. I thought it was a private, but well funded group like the Templars or Freemasons. I could see the Catholic Church having an out side chance of being behind it. My theory is based on the believed time period that it was created and the ability to keep its origins a secret as well as the financial backing required.

My father thinks it was a nation like England or France. He believes that it is hiding something that is not only monetarily valuable, but also spiritually important. Not necessarily religious in nature, but enough to start a war even now.

I think when looking at the mystery if you can pinpoint a timeframe within 50 years of when it was created and then look at what nations/entities had the organization and money to create oak island as well as the engineering ability to design and create it, you could probably create a short list of possibilities. I can not image that many groups had the money, resources, organization, and knowledge to make oak island happen.

Thoughts?

However, there is an alternate theory that the pit itself is the booby trap, and that the actual treasure was buried elsewhere on the island, and then covered up by a man-made swamp. This theory was supported by the rocks they found, so that's when they changed their focus to the swamp.

I understand and the rocks were interesting but it is still just a theory. The money pit is the whole reason Oak Island is even on the map and that is why people tuned in to this show. I can see not wanting to mess with the pit 100 years ago but with todays equipment, tools and robotics why not try to prove or disprove the pit first and then go after the more open ended rest of the island.

Show had so much promise and so little delivery.

The video regarding the Viking ship/sinkhole theory sure does make a lot of sense. Takes a bit of the fun out of it, but I'm inclined to believe that's what actually happened.

The video regarding the Viking ship/sinkhole theory sure does make a lot of sense. Takes a bit of the fun out of it, but I'm inclined to believe that's what actually happened.

Please elaborate. Is this a Vikings created the pit theory? I really can't see it. I question their engineering level, financial ability, and world reach (coconut fibers) to complete this project.

Please elaborate. Is this a Vikings created the pit theory? I really can't see it. I question their engineering level, financial ability, and world reach (coconut fibers) to complete this project.

No, the theory is that a Viking longship was sailing over the flooded island when it was engulfed by a sinkhole. The boat nosed down, and sank into the hole. If you look at this image, and imagine it vertically, the beams going across the bottom of the boat (which were backrests for the oar men) would be the wood planks that were found every 10 or so feet.

http://www.themodelshipwright.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Gokstad-ship-model-wikimedia.jpg

The last poster is correct. The video is in the first post at the top of page five.

Ha if they wanted a guy to look for a treasure that doesn't exist they should have hired this guy... He is great at finding nothing in a spectacularly expensive way.

Attachments

• looser.jpg
    looser.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 266

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom