The dangers of media-fueled groupthink (1 Viewer)

Heathen Saint

#Sanders2020
VIP Subscribing Member
Ratings
To preface...I have to apologize.

In the KY. h/s group megathread--I made a harsh, nasty remark toward the kid who was photographed in a sort of a staring contest with the native american man playing the drum that has been garnering all media attention lately. I want to say that whoever was wrong in that situation between the two groups, I know that I was in the wrong for rushing to a judgment. It was nasty, and very much unintelligent--it was the same attitude I have convinced myself that others have that I displayed when making that comment. It turned out that there were many other moving parts in that story, and not to continue a closed thread -- but I think we all need to practice getting all available evidence before rushing to judgment. Some of you are much better than I at this. For that I commend you.

I was just thinking over the weekend about this group-think mentality and how rational discourse can be blocked out rather surprisingly forcefully so quickly.

Another quick example -- and one that hopefully doesn't devolve into an unnecessary tangent -- I had an opinion on the ending of the Saints-Rams matchup that was respectfully albeit confidently voiced, and I was told by many that I should have been banned. In the region, I was shocked by the almost hostile environment that the enthusiasm behind a certain sentiment caused...which seemed to be one that made it very, very difficult for anyone else to voice their opinions for fear of being misaligned, even if they were the biggest fans in the world. It made me think of all of the other groups that, "right" or "wrong" voice their opinions and are never heard, never debated, or are threatened with their very livelihoods.

These are just a few examples, one that I regretfully participated in, that I think necessitates the ability for us as individuals to try to stay away from quick judgments and not fear dissent, even if it involves questioning the credibility of your own group.

As (technically) a liberal, I can see where conservatives would have a bone to pick with many Democrats about how certain issues are handled, how some subjects seem to be "hands off", and how hypersensitivity has dissuaded our ability to speak openly and rationally about issues we disagree on without fear of backlash. If one believes they are right, shouldn't they wish for an environment where all voices are heard? Shouldn't we be glad for a challenge to our views? I'm not saying glad for a country that makes openly racist people feel like they can hurt people openly..But to have their voices heard? I hope to uphold their right to that.

There's also this "death by media exposure" that sickens me. It's happened time and again, is problematic, and maybe up until now I have been largely dismissing it as warranted even if it did happen. But I can't any longer. I don't know the kid who stared down the Native man. But (again, referencing my own aforementioned stupid comments here) I don't wish him or his family any harm and I think that it's absurd that his family, his school etc. have been so adversely effected by media gorge-fest frenzy that has been going on after this image came out.

Let me just say that I don't see the media as the "enemy", largely. However, I do think that if it feeds off an environment in which certain images at certain angles inspire death threats and ruin people's lives, then that should be taken pretty incredibly seriously.

I know this is sort of a jumbled mess of a post, but I wanted to truthfully convey my convictions here. I know a lot of you won't like it, but I'm hoping even many of us who align strongly to one side or another can talk about this in an open and introspective manner.

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Ratings
This took a lot of courage and was much appreciated.

Also, I did not go looking for the opinion you had concerning the game, but know that feelings were very tender(and still are), so I am sure the banning talk was emotionally fed.

This was a very refreshing post to read and look forward to more from you in the future.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Ratings

In the KY. h/s group megathread--I made a harsh, nasty remark toward the kid who was photographed in a sort of a staring contest with the native american man playing the drum that has been garnering all media attention lately. I want to say that whoever was wrong in that situation between the two groups, I know that I was in the wrong for rushing to a judgment. It was nasty, and very much unintelligent--it was the same attitude I have convinced myself that others have that I displayed when making that comment. It turned out that there were many other moving parts in that story, and not to continue a closed thread -- but I think we all need to practice getting all available evidence before rushing to judgment. Some of you are much better than I at this. For that I commend you.

I was just thinking over the weekend about this group-think mentality and how rational discourse can be blocked out rather surprisingly forcefully so quickly.

Another quick example -- and one that hopefully doesn't devolve into an unnecessary tangent -- I had an opinion on the ending of the Saints-Rams matchup that was respectfully albeit confidently voiced, and I was told by many that I should have been banned. In the region, I was shocked by the almost hostile environment that the enthusiasm behind a certain sentiment caused...which seemed to be one that made it very, very difficult for anyone else to voice their opinions for fear of being misaligned, even if they were the biggest fans in the world. It made me think of all of the other groups that, "right" or "wrong" voice their opinions and are never heard, never debated, or are threatened with their very livelihoods.

These are just a few examples, one that I regretfully participated in, that I think necessitates the ability for us as individuals to try to stay away from quick judgments and not fear dissent, even if it involves questioning the credibility of your own group.

As (technically) a liberal, I can see where conservatives would have a bone to pick with many Democrats about how certain issues are handled, how some subjects seem to be "hands off", and how hypersensitivity has dissuaded our ability to speak openly and rationally about issues we disagree on without fear of backlash. If one believes they are right, shouldn't they wish for an environment where all voices are heard? Shouldn't we be glad for a challenge to our views? I'm not saying glad for a country that makes openly racist people feel like they can hurt people openly..But to have their voices heard? I hope to uphold their right to that.

There's also this "death by media exposure" that sickens me. It's happened time and again, is problematic, and maybe up until now I have been largely dismissing it as warranted even if it did happen. But I can't any longer. I don't know the kid who stared down the Native man. But (again, referencing my own aforementioned stupid comments here) I don't wish him or his family any harm and I think that it's absurd that his family, his school etc. have been so adversely effected by media gorge-fest frenzy that has been going on after this image came out.

Let me just say that I don't see the media as the "enemy", largely. However, I do think that if it feeds off an environment in which certain images at certain angles inspire death threats and ruin people's lives, then that should be taken pretty incredibly seriously.

I know this is sort of a jumbled mess of a post, but I wanted to truthfully convey my convictions here. I know a lot of you won't like it, but I'm hoping even many of us who align strongly to one side or another can talk about this in an open and introspective manner.
I think our society could benefit from revisiting the time right after the printing press was invented.

The invention of the internet and social media is forcing a similar adjustment upon us.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Ratings
A. props for writing this
B. i don't think the goal should be to check the instant reactions - those are going to happen regardless - what we need to be able to do (me included) is to be able to change our minds fluidly when new information/data presents itself

it would also help if we had the ability to say "i was wrong" without it seeming like the 2nd worst sin there is

Moderator #5

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
I’m guilty the same. It’s just human nature. But the first over reaction then causes a similar pendulum swing the other way, IMO. We need to be steady in the middle.

It’s very difficult in the current media and political environment.

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
I've purposely avoided watching the videos of the incident, reading the thread etc. I've had enough of this dumbass culture war, where you have to take a side on everything and dig your heels in no matter how ridiculous you look. Like, am I really required to have a take on a razor blade commercial right now?

Moderator #7

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
This isn’t a perfect fit for this thread, but it’s a ray of hope. Patton Oswalt, who makes me smile anyway, out there doing the right thing and stopping the negativity:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...pay-his-medical-bills/?utm_term=.5e20cc6b31ad

The salient quote:

“After today, I tend to think I’m a tempered Republican,” he said, adding he wants to abandon the “sheeplike” mind-set he’s adopted, which has caused him to judge people based on what they believe.

“I’m having to reevaluate some of the things I’ve gone along with,” he said. “The biggest thing I learned about [Oswalt] is that he is a man of character.”

Fanincowboyland

Rookie
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Great post. As others have said, it took courage to admit you were wrong. The hyper partisan environment we live in, which is reinforced by partisan media, leave us looking for things that support our world view, and largely ignoring or obfuscating what doesn't. I am a liberal by today's standards of political alignment, but I try to think of myself as an independent, if for no other reason than to make me feel okay with listening to contrarian views with an open mind. I am sure the OP does that or he wouldn't be willing to come here and say he was wrong.

As for opinion's about last Sunday's game, I hope people realize that everyone has been just sick over the outcome and that terrible missed call. As far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter whether someone believes it was just dumb bad luck (the officails just didn't see it as PI or head to head); or it was officials scared to throw a flag that could decide the game in the last two minutes; or if you believe the officiating crew all have much larger bank accounts because of their actions on Sunday. It also doesn't matter if you got over it that evening and enjoyed the AFC Championship, or if you plan to hang on to your anger for the rest of your life and continue to post about it for evermore. We are all entitled to our opinions, and the thing we all have in common is that we were sick about it at some point.

FWtex

Hall-of-Famer
Ratings

Good post on some of your soul searching. It would be smart if everyone paused before reacting to anything they see on social media or in the media these days. Pause and just ask a few simple questions like what is the angle/agenda that the post or reporting is wanting me to follow because everything these days has an agenda behind it. Then if you take a couple minutes to verify something that gets you ruffled that much then by the time you have done just a minimal amount of background your likely to not be impulsive to react in a manner in which you will later regret.

Sadly, the reality of our news media today is that it follows social media more than it reports its own journalistic created reporting. I hope the paychecks some of the talking heads on TV are worth it because I would be embarrassed over some of the stuff they broadcast as news or journalism.

FWtex

Hall-of-Famer
Ratings
How does CNS News fit into this lecture FWTex?

Because in a thread of self reflection you seem to be casting a lot of stones.
your showing your shallowness and a prime example of what the OP is trying to say not to do. Ask Oye and others who also try the same tactic of my posts when I provide links to other outlets. What you may not realize if you just stick to your old trusty CNN is that that all pretty much report on each others stories to some degree. If you don't like CNS for that story I think KHOU also had the story.

Fanincowboyland

Rookie
VIP Contributor
Ratings
This isn’t a perfect fit for this thread, but it’s a ray of hope. Patton Oswalt, who makes me smile anyway, out there doing the right thing and stopping the negativity:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...pay-his-medical-bills/?utm_term=.5e20cc6b31ad

The salient quote:

“After today, I tend to think I’m a tempered Republican,” he said, adding he wants to abandon the “sheeplike” mind-set he’s adopted, which has caused him to judge people based on what they believe.

“I’m having to reevaluate some of the things I’ve gone along with,” he said. “The biggest thing I learned about [Oswalt] is that he is a man of character.”
Thanks for posting. I shared the Post story on Facebook after I saw you post.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
your showing your shallowness and a prime example of what the OP is trying to say not to do. Ask Oye and others who also try the same tactic of my posts when I provide links to other outlets. What you may not realize if you just stick to your old trusty CNN is that that all pretty much report on each others stories to some degree. If you don't like CNS for that story I think KHOU also had the story.
What shallowness? I'm asking a simple question.

Your rushing into a thread meant for self reflection and throwing stones from a glass house.

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Ask Oye and others who also try the same tactic of my posts when I provide links to other outlets.
I *just* read a post where you said that you didn't approve of people looking to fringe sites for their news. And yet you've cited CNS and NewsBusters and Washington Examiner and Breitbart and Newsmax the like over the years. Those links - and others over the course of your posting history - speak volumes about your "sources." You've cited them yourself - nobody forced you to. And they are all right fringe.

I don't think you are in much position to lecture others about media outlets and reliability as a means to impugn the points of others

I'm not a CNN fan, personally, but it doesn't belong in the same sentence as CNS or NewsBusters or Breitbart or Newsmax

I'm not the one tossing away credibility with my sources - feel free to search and look for something comparable to NewsBusters or Breitbart in anything I've ever linked to.

Those links are your choices. If you don't want them held against you, if you feel like they are a liability to your credibility, then don't use them. I don't have anything to do with that. Those choices are yours.

But this is all somehow my fault.

RIP Personal Accountability. FWTex hardly knew ya.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Ratings
I *just* read a post where you said that you didn't approve of people looking to fringe sites for their news. And yet you've cited CNS and NewsBusters and Washington Examiner and Breitbart and Newsmax the like over the years. Those links - and others over the course of your posting history - speak volumes about your "sources." You've cited them yourself - nobody forced you to. And they are all right fringe.

I don't think you are in much position to lecture others about media outlets and reliability as a means to impugn the points of others

I'm not a CNN fan, personally, but it doesn't belong in the same sentence as CNS or NewsBusters or Breitbart or Newsmax

I'm not the one tossing away credibility with my sources - feel free to search and look for something comparable to NewsBusters or Breitbart in anything I've ever linked to.

Those links are your choices. If you don't want them held against you, if you feel like they are a liability to your credibility, then don't use them. I don't have anything to do with that. Those choices are yours.

But this is all somehow my fault.

RIP Personal Accountability. FWTex hardly knew ya.
Too late, you been pwned

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SebaSaint Everything Else Board 20