The Dark Tower to be a movie trilogy and T.V. show (1 Viewer)

I remember the board game as a child. Anyone else have the game?

35941-darktower_field.jpg

I have this game in my garage, my kids come across the box every once in a while and ask about it. I really should pull it down and play a round with them!

Also looking forward to seeing DT on the screen, loved the books!

How's the book series? I ordered the first one on Amazon today on a whim.

I am a fan. I think the first four books are much stronger than the last three (not counting the later "interquel" novel that King wrote a few years ago as I haven't read it yet), but overall it's an enjoyable read. The end (and really, entire last book in general) is fairly polarizing. Without spoiling anything, I will say that I find it to be narratively unfulfilling, but also appropriate given the circumstances. And it certainly has interesting implications for not just the series itself, but the movie (again, not spoiling anything, but they have openly stated that the movie isn't a straight adaptation and why they chose to do that. And it's a pretty interesting hook.)

All of that said, I will say that Wizard and Glass (Book IV) is my single favorite Stephen King book.

but they have openly stated that the movie isn't a straight adaptation and why they chose to do that. And it's a pretty interesting hook.)

It plays so well into changing mediums it makes me enjoy the ending even more.

I read the gunslinger and always felt reading further would just leaving me with more hey jude and

jck.gif

I did enjoy Talisman and Stand though and have always been intrigued. I guess I may have to five these another shot.

I read the gunslinger and always felt reading further would just leaving me with more hey jude and

jck.gif

I did enjoy Talisman and Stand though and have always been intrigued. I guess I may have to five these another shot.

The first book leaves you with more questions than answers. It really serves only to introduce the main character, antagonist, and the world they live in. The next 3 books in the series are friggin fantastic with book 4 likely being the best of the series. The last 3 are also good, and the ending to me is perfect. The last 100 pages of the series absolutely floored me.....soooo good, but exhausting. Stephen King at his best. It couldn't have ended any other way, really.

I have a feeling these books will not translate well to the screen, but a TV series in between each movie could make it work.

I don't think anyone pictured Elba as Roland, seeing as Roland was pretty obviously, at least from a design standpoint, a riff on Eastwood's Man With No Name. But hey, I'm game.

McConaughey as Randall Flagg is some inspired casting, though.
and of course it was made clear that Roland had blue eyes on several instances.

Elba can play anything as far as I'm concerned, though.

How's the book series? I ordered the first one on Amazon today on a whim.
It's like chewing a great piece of steak that's cook to medium. There are parts where you will feel obligated to continue on reading because you've invested so much into the act that you're willing to see the payoff at the end.

I'm only in book 3.

The first book leaves you with more questions than answers. It really serves only to introduce the main character, antagonist, and the world they live in. The next 3 books in the series are friggin fantastic with book 4 likely being the best of the series. The last 3 are also good, and the ending to me is perfect. The last 100 pages of the series absolutely floored me.....soooo good, but exhausting. Stephen King at his best. It couldn't have ended any other way, really.

I have a feeling these books will not translate well to the screen, but a TV series in between each movie could make it work.

The ending makes the gunslinger make more sense.

Seems to confirm early script reviews that said the story was very centered on Jake.

But man, that's an *early* leak. Lots of green screen still in some of those shots and the sound mix is all over the place. Not really sure what to make of all this yet. I know the angle they're working for the movie and it's an interesting one and because of that I'm not remotely expecting a straight adaptation, but it's very different from my idea of The Dark Tower.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom