Saints The day Aaron Brooks beat Brady & Peyton Manning (‘02 Pro Bowl) (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
A.B. showed off his arm strength in the QB challenge. I believe Brooks (with his natural talent) would have been far better had he had CSP as his head coach.

Reminder: Aaron Brooks was the FIRST quarterback in NFL history to rush for 100 yds in a game AND pass for 400 yds in a game... in the same season.

:gosaints:

Met him one time in a bowling alley, as he and some friends were bowling on the lane next to me and my friends. He was with Oakland at the time. Told him that I was a Saints fan and he instantly had this look like I was going to berate him. Once I thanked him for helping us get our first playoff victory, he was genuinely touched, and thanked me in return. I left that conversation feeling like he had heard so much criticism from our fan base, that he was exhausted from it. His eyes told a great tale that night. I’ve always rooted for the guy to do well.

Loved Aaron Brooks and have always wished him the best. I understood after 2005 it was time to go, but it's still really unfair how many fans treat him. I legitimately think he was our second best QB ever behind Brees.

Also that said, 2002 the ceiling was looking really high for him. He was fun to watch. Great arm and could scramble when he needed to. I remember people constantly kept bringing up that him and Michael Vick were cousins.

Met him one time in a bowling alley, as he and some friends were bowling on the lane next to me and my friends. He was with Oakland at the time. Told him that I was a Saints fan and he instantly had this look like I was going to berate him. Once I thanked him for helping us get our first playoff victory, he was genuinely touched, and thanked me in return. I left that conversation feeling like he had heard so much criticism from our fan base, that he was exhausted from it. His eyes told a great tale that night. I’ve always rooted for the guy to do well.

Heartwarming story... thanks for sharing! :9:

That shoulder injury was a killer for him. Same thing I see in Cam Newton since his shoulder injury. Accuracy is gone.

I'm still not over 2002... We started 6-1. Beat the eventual SB champ Bucs twice and then lost 3 in a row to end the season and missed the playoffs. We lost to the 3-10 Vikings, then the 1-13 bengals and then the 6-9 panthers... What could have been.

Always liked Brooks. He made Saints games very exciting. The feeling we could score at any moment.

I'm still not over 2002... We started 6-1. Beat the eventual SB champ Bucs twice and then lost 3 in a row to end the season and missed the playoffs. We lost to the 3-10 Vikings, then the 1-13 bengals and then the 6-9 panthers... What could have been.

Always liked Brooks. He made Saints games very exciting. The feeling we could score at any moment.
I remember that year a story about Joe Horn telling Ronde Barber (on the 2nd matchup) “I’m going to score on you.” And he proceeded to score on him.

That season was rough. Do you remember Kyle Turkey saying “Today they weren’t the Bungles, but we were the Aints”.

Looking back, Brooks at QB and Mike McCarthy at OC were exciting and just good enough to break your heart. Sort of how McCarthy lasted so long at GB while becoming increasingly questionable as a HC.

Opposite experience. I met him after he was a Saint. Seemed arrogant and annoyed that I wanted an autograph

Jim Haslett gets the blame for NOT letting Jake Delhomme take the snaps after A.B. injured his shoulder.

Watching the Icky shuffle, and Culpepper make that 2-point conversion (for the win) was very hard to stomach. 🤢

According to Jake Delhomme, on ESPN 1420 about a year ago.... Aaron Brooks never had the motivation to be the best. He was the type that relied solely on his talent. He didn't study film, he wasn't first in last out. He didn't feel like he needed to do any of that because he thought he was already the best he could be. He had one of the best arm's in the league, and the athletics to escape trouble. In his mind that was all he needed.

That shoulder injury was a killer for him. Same thing I see in Cam Newton since his shoulder injury. Accuracy is gone.
Cam Newton was a 50% passer all his career... what accuracy? Brooks had a Cannon that shot lazer beams and only Joe Horn was able to handle his fast ball.

I legitimately think he was our second best QB ever behind Brees.
He was the most talented QB we've had and that may translate to 5th best. The league started becoming more passing league when he took over, so comparing his stats to Manning and Hebert are a bit unfair. His lack of motivation and the fact that he never improved, only regressed doesn't allow him to be even ahead of Bobby Hebert... who get's wrongfully blamed for Jim Mora's ridiculously conservative coaching style... which also gets put on Carl Smith unfairly. Get a big lead? Run Run Run, punt, Prevent defense. Classic Mora.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom