The Day That TV News Died (1 Viewer)

oldschool

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Their role is to funnel viewer energy back into our dead political system — to make us believe that Democrats or Republicans are not corporate pawns. The cable shows, whose hyperbolic hosts work to make us afraid of self-identified liberals or self-identified conservatives, are part of a rigged political system, one in which it is impossible to vote against the interests of Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, General Electric or ExxonMobil. These corporations, in return for the fear-based propaganda, pay the lavish salaries of celebrity news people, usually in the millions of dollars. They make their shows profitable. And when there is war these news personalities assume their “patriotic” roles as cheerleaders, as Chris Matthews — who makes an estimated $5 million a year — did, along with the other MSNBC and Fox hosts.
It does not matter that these celebrities and their guests, usually retired generals or government officials, got the war terribly wrong... What mattered then and what matters now is likability — known in television and advertising as the Q score — not honesty and truth. Television news celebrities are in the business of sales, not journalism. They peddle the ideology of the corporate state. And too many of us are buying.
<a href="http://billmoyers.com/2013/03/25/the-day-that-tv-news-died/">"Welcome to the scary reality of an educated point of view. You will find it a lonely existence."</a>

Geldo

Dome Patrol disciple
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
TV news died long ago. When did you last see the news examine something deeply enough for you to understand the historical, political and social context, or see an educated opposing view to a perceived fact?

TV news is no longer in the education business - it's in the entertainment business, which is why newscasters spend longer in the hair salon than researching the integrity of their stories.

It's why half-wit commentators with a world view so narrow they would struggle to squeeze two rational thoughts in their heads at the same time can scream, shout and tub-thump and still draw a crowd.

It's why US and British TV spent hours debating how much of a demagogue Hugo Chavez was while completely ignoring the illegal coup in Honduras and the campaign of murders against journalists in that country.

If the interpretation of a world event doesn't pander to popularist politics and over simplified explanations for ADHD patients with the attention span of goldfish then it's not fit for public consumption.

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Please give PBS a chance if you're looking for news on TV...6 PM central time on your local PBS station. No one yells, there are no fancy graphics or distracting colors/news tickers. They care about the ratings in a sense of how to produce the program, I imagine, but not for profit.

Here's the NewsHour website: PBS NewsHour | PBS

Geldo

Dome Patrol disciple
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Please give PBS a chance if you're looking for news on TV...6 PM central time on your local PBS station. No one yells, there are no fancy graphics or distracting colors/news tickers. They care about the ratings in a sense of how to produce the program, I imagine, but not for profit.

Here's the NewsHour website: PBS NewsHour | PBS
We now get PBS on satellite TV over here in the UK. For the most part it's very good viewing - no issues with their documentaries or with the brilliant work of journalists like John Pilger and Adam Curtis - it's the mainstream news reporters who seem to have lost the plot.

dgrant

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
great article. I remember watching Donahue growing up during the summers. I'm glad he is doing this. I quit watching tv earlier this year because of who controls it. The only thing I watch now is football, and Saturday night movies.

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge,
This film pegged it 30 years ago (1982), and things have only gotten progressively worse since then.

Trailers From Hell: Joe Dante on 'Wrong Is Right'

I can't find quotes, but I have always remembered Sean Connery's line to his producer (Connery plays a reporter for a nation-wide CNN-type TV news channel) : "This isn't news. It's show business, baby! Make 'em laugh, make 'em cry!"

J-Donk

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
<a href="http://billmoyers.com/2013/03/25/the-day-that-tv-news-died/">"Welcome to the scary reality of an educated point of view. You will find it a lonely existence."</a>
DNC platform added ending CU ruling constitutional amendment to its party platform. I don't know if you can get any clearer about their view on campaign finance. You can say they are corp pawns, but they have some backbone.

TV news died long ago. When did you last see the news examine something deeply enough for you to understand the historical, political and social context, or see an educated opposing view to a perceived fact?

TV news is no longer in the education business - it's in the entertainment business, which is why newscasters spend longer in the hair salon than researching the integrity of their stories.

It's why half-wit commentators with a world view so narrow they would struggle to squeeze two rational thoughts in their heads at the same time can scream, shout and tub-thump and still draw a crowd.

It's why US and British TV spent hours debating how much of a demagogue Hugo Chavez was while completely ignoring the illegal coup in Honduras and the campaign of murders against journalists in that country.

If the interpretation of a world event doesn't pander to popularist politics and over simplified explanations for ADHD patients with the attention span of goldfish then it's not fit for public consumption.
The normal 5pm news is still the best place to get the news of the day. NPR is also a good choice. It's the all day news channels that suck.

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score

Yep.

Network (1976) - IMDb

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Can't say that I'm a media historian but I think the yellow journalism of the late 18 early 1900s was at least as bad as today's news
I bet like everything this runs in cycles

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)