The debate I used to hate and glad not to have today (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Old timers know the debate, we used to have it in the day almost every year. It’s going on now, but on other sites. Chicago just scored on Minnesota. But whose fans are happier? The fans of the team that wins, or the fans of the team that loses and gets a better draft position?

I purposely did not describe the bears vikings game as meaningless, that goes to the heart of the debate. To some fans, and players, no game is meaningless. We might have been 4-11 going into our last game, I would still be wearing my black Sunday shirt, ready to watch the game. Winning had meaning to me, I like to watch the Saints win. I could not argue the point that losing might have helped more in the big picture.

I guarantee you that debate is raging on forums of all the so called meaningless games. Fans are no doubt taking sides as I write. There’s no necessarily right or wrong position. The point of my post is not to take sides in that debate.

The point of the post is rather to express appreciation that every game the Saints played this year counted. Younger fans might take that for granted. Old timers have been through all too many years where the Sapints season was over by Thanksgiving.

As a long time season ticket holder I have one wish every year. It’s not to win the super bowl, although that’s a wish too. I am easier to please. Just be relevant for every game. Don’t be eliminated going into your last game.

This year I am probably more appreciative of being relevant than most any prior years. When Jamies went down on top of all our other injured stars, my expectations to make the playoffs almost disappeared. I was keeping my hopes up until we were mathematically eliminated, even when all of our qbs were hurt and we were triaging players on the Covid list. Being a saints fan used to require being a math major, calculating all the improbable stars that had to align for us to get in the playoffs.

Somehow, here we are in week 17 with a chance to win the super bowl. I think I read where our odds to make the playoffs were like 35% or something. That would have been beyond my expectations a month ago. I love those odds.

So thanks to the Saints for being relevant the whole season. Thank you for me not having mixed feelings as to whether we should win or not today. Go Rams. As a bonus wish, I would like to be relevant next week too.

All that said, even if we were eliminatEd, I wouldn’t have mixed feelings. We are playing the falcons. That’s like eating Chinese food for me, you know where you are hungry an hour later. An hour after beating the Falcons, I always feel like beating them again.

Too many times I read posts around here that are obviously written by Saints fans who are only familiar with the level of success seen during the Payton Era. As you so eloquently pointed out, (except for the age issue) it's great to be from those early days when we'd never take any kind of winning for granted. :9:

Old timers know the debate, we used to have it in the day almost every year. It’s going on now, but on other sites. Chicago just scored on Minnesota. But whose fans are happier? The fans of the team that wins, or the fans of the team that loses and gets a better draft position?

I purposely did not describe the bears vikings game as meaningless, that goes to the heart of the debate. To some fans, and players, no game is meaningless. We might have been 4-11 going into our last game, I would still be wearing my black Sunday shirt, ready to watch the game. Winning had meaning to me, I like to watch the Saints win. I could not argue the point that losing might have helped more in the big picture.

I guarantee you that debate is raging on forums of all the so called meaningless games. Fans are no doubt taking sides as I write. There’s no necessarily right or wrong position. The point of my post is not to take sides in that debate.

The point of the post is rather to express appreciation that every game the Saints played this year counted. Younger fans might take that for granted. Old timers have been through all too many years where the Sapints season was over by Thanksgiving.

As a long time season ticket holder I have one wish every year. It’s not to win the super bowl, although that’s a wish too. I am easier to please. Just be relevant for every game. Don’t be eliminated going into your last game.

This year I am probably more appreciative of being relevant than most any prior years. When Jamies went down on top of all our other injured stars, my expectations to make the playoffs almost disappeared. I was keeping my hopes up until we were mathematically eliminated, even when all of our qbs were hurt and we were triaging players on the Covid list. Being a saints fan used to require being a math major, calculating all the improbable stars that had to align for us to get in the playoffs.

Somehow, here we are in week 17 with a chance to win the super bowl. I think I read where our odds to make the playoffs were like 35% or something. That would have been beyond my expectations a month ago. I love those odds.

So thanks to the Saints for being relevant the whole season. Thank you for me not having mixed feelings as to whether we should win or not today. Go Rams. As a bonus wish, I would like to be relevant next week too.

All that said, even if we were eliminatEd, I wouldn’t have mixed feelings. We are playing the falcons. That’s like eating Chinese food for me, you know where you are hungry an hour later. An hour after beating the Falcons, I always feel like beating them again.
@st dude
You are a bonafide asset to this forum and without question, one of the greatest members this forum has ever seen. Your writing and thought process is something to marvel at. Thank you for always being you!

PS….WHO DAT!!!!

Too many times I read posts around here that are obviously written by Saints fans who are only familiar with the level of success seen during the Payton Era. As you so eloquently pointed out, (except for the age issue) it's great to be from those early days when we'd never take any kind of winning for granted. :9:
Amen i take any win. Its a long offseason i enjoy a warm fuzzy feeling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom