The defense is looking great, but we still have a need at LB (1 Viewer)

LB is definitely the greatest need on the team now, overall. People can say what they want, but Klein was solid and is definitely a loss, especially considering the injury issues with the others you mentioned.
Kiko Alonso was signed to replace Klein. I guess you could argue Kiko was signed to inevitably fill in for an injury prone Anzalone, but I'm optimistic by nature. We also have Elliss, who the staff seemed to be high on for late round pick. I'd bet Elliss is capable of filling in at SAM, a position that plays less than 50% of defensive snaps.

The way I look at it, we have 2 starting LB jobs. Those are filled with Davis and Anzalone. Alonso is on deck if we need him. Paying Davis, Anzalone, Alonso, AND Klein just doesn't make sense to me. The decision was Alonso vs Klein.

Kiko Alonso was signed to replace Klein. I guess you could argue Kiko was signed to inevitably fill in for an injury prone Anzalone, but I'm optimistic by nature. We also have Elliss, who the staff seemed to be high on for late round pick. I'd bet Elliss is capable of filling in at SAM, a position that plays less than 50% of defensive snaps.

The way I look at it, we have 2 starting LB jobs. Those are filled with Davis and Anzalone. Alonso is on deck if we need him. Paying Davis, Anzalone, Alonso, AND Klein just doesn't make sense to me. The decision was Alonso vs Klein.
I agree that it didn't make sense to do both of paying Klein a new contract, and keeping Alonso.

I do think Klein's role was valuable in that he played Base SAM, and filled in at MIKE when Anzalone was injured. Klein had 753 Defensive snaps (about 71%) last season. Although that was between two spots SLB, and MLB.

Theoritically Alonso could fill that role, my main concern is will he even be ready to start the season? He suffered an ACL tear in February. Optimistically that is about an 8-9 month full recovery. He may have to start on the PUP list and come back sometime around Week 8.

The staff may be high on Elliss, however we haven't really seen what he looks like in a starting role atleast in regular season football. We've only seen him in a special teams capacity thus far. I still think there's room to add more depth, but you may be right the fans might see this as more of a need than the staff actually does maybe they are just really optimistic about Anzalone staying healthy, and they have a positive outlook on Kiko being ready combined with being really high on Elliss, and Chase Hansen... we really don't know what they are evaluating on the position inside the building... Although we do have a little insight in that one of their First Free Agent targets was Jamie Collins.. so we can at least piece together they were planning around / trying to off-set the loss of Klein with someone who had Collin's skillset, experience.

Last edited:
It would be a killer scenario if we could scoot back about 10-14 or so picks and still nab Baun.

If somehow Isaiah Simmons falls out of the top 8 we almost have to trade up for him. And it’s very possible.

Interior d line as well, with Sheldon being injured each of the last two years.
LB (2) cb (2) guard.
IMO.

There we go with the OL pick, so I wanna know what guard that we pick will be out Easton or Clapp. I'll wait..................

If somehow Isaiah Simmons falls out of the top 8 we almost have to trade up for him. And it’s very possible.
What makes you say that? Trading from 24 to 10 without a 2nd round pick? I'd love to have Simmons, but I'm not buying this one.

There we go with the OL pick, so I wanna know what guard that we pick will be out Easton or Clapp. I'll wait..................

Why is everyone so defensive and combative here nowadays? Sheesh.
You don’t have to wait.
I don’t think we will pick one, it’s my wish list.
Simple as that. I think our interior guards are below average. Which is extremely detrimental to our offense as all QB’s, especially Drew, struggle with interior pressure.

Hope you didn’t have to wait too long.
?

Yeah, but the guy is coming off what, his 3rd ACL? And Anzalone has had how many shoulder injuries, 3 or 4? I’d be surprised if either of them make it through the full season, sadly.

What makes you say that? Trading from 24 to 10 without a 2nd round pick? I'd love to have Simmons, but I'm not buying this one.

It’s very possible that he could fall, not that we will trade up for him.

I agree we need linebackers, badly actually. But I don’t get the DE or DT, I get the injury concerns but we have depth too...

DE- Jordan, Davenport, Hendrickson, Spence and Williams that plays DE and DT

DT- Rankins, Onyemata, Brown, Tuttle, Williams.

i mean how much depth do you want? If we spend more money or trade it better be for a LB, that’s the glaring hole.
Granderson at DE also

Craig Robertson is still on the team, right? I just never hear his name mentioned anymore, even when talking simply about depth at LB. I know he is mainly a special teams guy, but he seems to be a pretty decent LB when he is out there. If he is still on the team, he is fine as a LB5 in my opinion.

Last edited:
Craig Robertson is still on the team, right? I just never hear his name mentioned anymore, even when talking simply about depth at LB. I know he is mainly a special teams guy, but he seems to be a pretty decent LB when he is out there. If he is still on the team, he is fine as a LB5 in my opinion.
If we add another LB through FA or the draft, Robertson is a goner. Even if we don't, I could see them going with 4 LBs which would still leave Robertson as the odd man out. I like him for the locker room. But there should be better options for our roster this year.

Just re-watched the San Francisco game tape on Game pass.. and I'm going to respectfully disagree; love Craig's effort on Special Teams but I hope he doesn't have to start anymore games next season... (Anthony as well)

Just re-watched the San Francisco game tape on Game pass.. and I'm going to respectfully disagree; love Craig's effort on Special Teams but I hope he doesn't have to start anymore games next season... (Anthony as well)
We seriously had Craig Robertson and Stephone Anthony playing real defensive snaps in 2019. That's sad, because based on their play, neither of them should even make the 53, much less be 2/3 of our top 3 LBs.

That said, it makes sense that fans want another LB. But it would take injuries to both Anzalone AND Alonso to force us to roll out a starting duo of Davis/Elliss.

On the other hand, an injury to either Lattimore OR Jackrabbit puts either Patrick Robinson or Justin Hardee at CB2.

Then there's WR where we have 2 dawgs, but a 3rd one (if we hit on a WR in the draft) would likely make a bigger difference (barring injury) than maybe any position outside of a stud pass rusher. Not to mention what an injury to Thomas or Sanders would do to our offense.

I just can't rank LB as a bigger need than CB/WR. We have to prepare for injuries that haven't happened yet. Not just the ones we think could repeat themselves.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom