The defense is looking great, but we still have a need at LB (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
With Klein's departure, and Alozo, Anzalone, and Ellis coming off injury, we have a serious need at LB. I don't see us having the luxury of going WR in the 1st right now. We have to do something at LB, and we still need at least 1 CB. I'm looking for the Saints to eventually resign PJ Williams, though. Still, we do have these 2 needs left going into the draft.

With Klein's departure, and Alozo, Anzalone, and Ellis coming off injury, we have a serious need at LB. I don't see us having the luxury of going WR in the 1st right now. We have to do something at LB, and we still need at least 1 CB. I'm looking for the Saints to eventually resign PJ Williams, though. Still, we do have these 2 needs left going into the draft.

Thankfully, the draft is still a month away so it's *possible* the Saints might still make a move or three before then.

I agree. It's the most glaring need when you look at the roster. God only knows how many games we'll get out of Anzalone and Kiko and Ellis are both coming back from knee injuries. Hard to count on those guys.

Instead of crossing their fingers and hoping for the best I hope they go after LBer early. I want a LBer who can cover and run. Doesn't have to be the biggest. Doesn't have to be a run stopping monster. Doesn't have to be Pat Swilling coming off the edge. Just a speedy LB who can cover and run sideline to sideline.

The scheme versatility such a player would provide would be huge.

I agree we need linebackers, badly actually. But I don’t get the DE or DT, I get the injury concerns but we have depth too...

DE- Jordan, Davenport, Hendrickson, Spence and Williams that plays DE and DT

DT- Rankins, Onyemata, Brown, Tuttle, Williams.

i mean how much depth do you want? If we spend more money or trade it better be for a LB, that’s the glaring hole.

I doubt they draft an LB @ 24. They usually rely on FA when it comes to that position. And it ain’t like we don’t have a stud @ WILL n potential studs @ MIKE already. We need a SAM but they can usually be had in later rds. Besides it’s only a part-time position in our D anyway

I don't see this serious need at LB. All of the "musts" have been filled in free agency with Jenkins, Sanders, Alonso, etc. We normally play D with 2 LBs on the field. Davis and Anzalone are the starters and Alonso is our insurance policy for Anzalone. Elliss might even surprise us.

LB5 is no more of a need than CB5 or WR5.

I doubt they draft an LB @ 24. They usually rely on FA when it comes to that position. And it ain’t like we don’t have a stud @ WILL n potential studs @ MIKE already. We need a SAM but they can usually be had in later rds. Besides it’s only a part-time position in our D anyway
It's all about the best player available. I don't think the Saints are opposed to drafting LBs.

2019: Kaden Elliss, R7
2018:
2017: Alex Anzalone, R3
2016:
2015: Stephone Anthony, R1
2014: Khairi Fortt, R4

I agree we need linebackers, badly actually. But I don’t get the DE or DT, I get the injury concerns but we have depth too...

DE- Jordan, Davenport, Hendrickson, Spence and Williams that plays DE and DT

DT- Rankins, Onyemata, Brown, Tuttle, Williams.

i mean how much depth do you want? If we spend more money or trade it better be for a LB, that’s the glaring hole.

to be honest, I dont get how people don't think we need another starting quality DE to create pressure based on the current DE depth listed.

It's Cam Jordan and that is all...if we're talking about double 5+ sacks from a DE. That's not good at all honestly. Plus, Cam's getting older too. It's time to get another starting quality DE.

SF had 4-5 DE close to double digit sacks last season (8+ sacks). That's how their defense was so good, it is because the DE was able to constantly get pressure on the opposing QBs.

We have Cam, jury is still out on Davenport, and a bunch of high motor/energy players who are rotational players (rarely gets to the QB), but not starting quality.

Also, if Cam Jordan himself is asking the Saints to sign another DE, then you know it's an issue at that position.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom