The defensive secondary nightmare continues (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I didn't think it was possible but the Saints have managed to find a player who is challenging the horrific history of defensive ineptitude of the weakest link of the Saints defense over the past decade who was named Corey White. His name #46 Ken Crawley. Now please do not think that I am attacking this young man personally as he is facing a tremendous challenge every week. His was an undrafted free agent and shouldn't even be on the field. But I find it extremely hard to believe that of the thousands of former out of work defensive cornerbacks that the Saints cannot find someone somewhere who can play better cornerback than Crawley. Week in and week out the opposing offensive coordinators have attacked Crawley and he has been picked apart every single game. Here the Saints are again losing 21-7 on the road and unless the Saints can find someone somewhere to replace Crawley the 2016 nightmare season will continue. And I know some of you will want to attack me personally and question what makes me think that I am qualified to criticize Crawley and my only response to that is that I have been watching the Saints since 1967 and I also have two eyes and can see.
I only have one prayer for next years Saint's draft and that is that they select at least three cornerbacks out of their first five picks!
Have a blessed day!

RazorSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What do you expect? The Saints are literally down to their 6th CB from training camp roster.

Lewis
Breaux
PJ Williams
Swann
Moore
...all gone

There is no team, repeat, NO TEAM, that can survive that. The Saints are awful in the secondary but when you're picking up guys that weren't highly thought of in COLLEGE to start, you're gonna have problems.

Also they have little help. We still get very little pressure on the QB, so we're hoping these guys picked up off the trash heap can guard NFL WRs. It's just a bad situation.

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
I've heard reports Aaron Glenn should be position coach of the year. Did not quite get where that was coming from.

Da Living Saint

Drew Brees!
Reaction score
I've heard reports Aaron Glenn should be position coach of the year. Did not quite get where that was coming from.
Have you watched the Saints this year? They have a reasonably well functioning secondary and their playing the NFL equivalent of homeless lepers.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Defense actually wasn't that bad today. 17 points allowed, and I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but it seems like the refs around the league got a memo stating to chill with the ticky tack illegal contact and PI calls, which will help us.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There is literally nothing wrong with Ken Crawley. He has played extremely well all things considered, and is only getting better.

It's not his fault that the refs let <strike>Jeremy Maclin </strike> Tyreek Hill pull his arm completely down on that touchdown pass.

Reaction score
There is literally nothing wrong with Ken Crawley. He has played extremely well all things considered, and is only getting better.

It's not his fault that the refs let Jeremy Maclin pull his arm completely down on that touchdown pass.
This is what I thought. He's been picked on for sure but just going by the eye test he dished out about as much as he got.
There are still a couple of cancers on this defense that need removing. Play like they are untouchable and half arse it most of the time.

Kamara Time in NO

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Frankly, Crawley has played amazing, all things considered. There have been more than a few top draft pick DBs who weren't ready to come in and start from day one like Crawley has had to do. To compare him to some of the worst DBs in Saints history is just a load of nonsense.

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Please, start these threads out with "I don't know much about football, but..." it will save us all a lot of time.

1) Crawley is fine. He is a UDFA rookie who leads all rookies at his position in tackles. He is a willing tackler, and he might not catch many ints, but he doesn't give up many tds either. He is thrown to quite often, but he is tied for 24th in the NFL in pass deflections. https://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/passesDefended
The kid isn't Darrell Green or Charleen Woodson, but to say he is Corey White, man, what is you smokin?

2) Aaron Glenn IS the best position coach on this team, and if he isn't top 5 in the NFL I will want to see names. Looking at what he has to work with (every week he has started a different combo at CB) and how they have performed together, it would be bonkers to say he hasn't done an amazing job. Seriously, any name you bring to me, saying they are doing a better job under as difficult situations, if that guy's name isn't Job I'm not buying it.

CRESS_137

Formerly known as Born_A_Saint
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't think it was possible but the Saints have managed to find a player who is challenging the horrific history of defensive ineptitude of the weakest link of the Saints defense over the past decade who was named Corey White. His name #46 Ken Crawley. Now please do not think that I am attacking this young man personally as he is facing a tremendous challenge every week. His was an undrafted free agent and shouldn't even be on the field. But I find it extremely hard to believe that of the thousands of former out of work defensive cornerbacks that the Saints cannot find someone somewhere who can play better cornerback than Crawley. Week in and week out the opposing offensive coordinators have attacked Crawley and he has been picked apart every single game. Here the Saints are again losing 21-7 on the road and unless the Saints can find someone somewhere to replace Crawley the 2016 nightmare season will continue. And I know some of you will want to attack me personally and question what makes me think that I am qualified to criticize Crawley and my only response to that is that I have been watching the Saints since 1967 and
Bashing a guy who nobody counted on to play at the beginning of the season, but is stepping up and starting every week for a minimum salary.
Poor taste, in my opinion.

TheRealJRad

The Artist Formerly Known as AgentJRad
Staff member
Tech-Admin
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What do you expect? The Saints are literally down to their 6th CB from training camp roster.

Lewis
Breaux
PJ Williams
Swann
Moore
...all gone

There is no team, repeat, NO TEAM, that can survive that. The Saints are awful in the secondary but when you're picking up guys that weren't highly thought of in COLLEGE to start, you're gonna have problems.

Also they have little help. We still get very little pressure on the QB, so we're hoping these guys picked up off the trash heap can guard NFL WRs. It's just a bad situation.
Don't forget Kyle Wilson.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

whodat4eva

Veteran
Reaction score
Secondary will stay a nightmare as long as the the pass rush is non existent. Let's hope rankins can change that in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Joodas Avila

MillenniaMMA.com
Reaction score
Crawley, and all of our CBs for that matter, are playing really good when considering who they are. They're all back ups. That being said, the secondary is not the issue, believe it or not. It is, and forever will be (until we get better players), the inability to generate a consistent pass rush. Why was Kenny Crawley 1 on 1 on that TD play with zero help over the top? Because our lack of pass rush forced us to blitz the extra man, leaving our scrappy, yet inexperienced UDFA rook on an island. Aside from that play, which was bad, he played solid as hell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom