The Delay in Signing Alontae Taylor (1 Viewer)

Dleger

Elite Dimensions
Reaction score
With the announcement of this weekend's rookie minicamp and then the Jarvis Landry signing, I realized that Alontae Taylor hadn't yet signed. I see that he's participating in the minicamp, but what could be the delay of his signing?

For a non first rounder, this pick gets more attention and scrutiny than any pick I have ever seen.
He was drafted two rounds earlier than anyone anticipated. Lots of good prospects were passed over for him. I hope he pans out but it is pretty rare that teams find these diamond in the rough type players, and they are usually not drafted in the 2nd round. I give the Saints the benefit of the doubt but I completely understand the skepticism. I do wish we had a better TE option than Trautman this year.

With the announcement of this weekend's rookie minicamp and then the Jarvis Landry signing, I realized that Alontae Taylor hadn't yet signed. I see that he's participating in the minicamp, but what could be the delay of his signing?
Likely just waiting to create a roster spot for him (someone to be released). There really is no negotiation to be had. He will be insured for the rookie minicamp and his signing will likely come within days.

He is waiting his turn to negotiate. I don't see any problem here.

What is the deal with these fully guaranteed contracts? That hamstrings a team's ability to get rid of players in the final years of a contract. What gives here? Is ML going soft?
It was basically the counter to the crazy rookie contracts players used to get. Now they get much small contracts, but most of the higher picks are fully guaranteed. Not just a Saints thing.

He was drafted two rounds earlier than anyone anticipated. Lots of good prospects were passed over for him. I hope he pans out but it is pretty rare that teams find these diamond in the rough type players, and they are usually not drafted in the 2nd round. I give the Saints the benefit of the doubt but I completely understand the skepticism. I do wish we had a better TE option than Trautman this year.

CGJ, Marcus Williams, MT13 just off the top of my head of 2nd round picks to make instant impact.

Good players are found outside of 1st round; saints have always targeted and done well. The grade on this draft won’t be understood until 2/3 years from now.

A drafted rookie that is unsigned can participate in min-camps as long as he signs an injury waiver.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom