The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (58 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[mod edit- removed deleted post]

His eye-candy press secretary needs to hurry up and figure out what to say to defend how it's a great day for Mr. Floyd looking down on us after he was murdered.

I lived in Minnesota. One of the most liberal places in the country...with Minneapolis/St. Paul being one of the most liberal cities. Their entire government structure is liberal. Their mayor, who elects the police chief is liberal. Heck...the police chief is probably also liberal. You'd think that philosophically Minneapolis would be one of the better cities to be able to handle a system problem like this...right?

We can have the best rules, training, and structure known to man...but if we have police officers that do not respect the value of human life...then we're in trouble. It's going to take a heck of a lot to convince me that with better training and a better system that it would prevent this cop from being a racist killer. You have to change hearts...we have to find a way to prevent those at risk of being killer cops to NOT. If that doesn't happen, then we will continue to struggle. And it will continue to be a struggle in spite of our efforts because now police recruitment became that much more challenging. Who in their right minds would want to be a police officer right now? It's going to be those who struggle to find other work or those LOOKING for power and confrontation. And not to mention...it's an incredibly difficult thing to fight history and people's preconceived biases. There is literally no margin of error, so I'm not even sure that there are reasonable acceptable outcome measures.

I agree it's not a cure all, but training does help to change those hearts and minds. It also helps to make sure that Police Officers who see others violating rights know that they have the right and obligation to stop them, even if they are superior officers, and to report it when it happens.

And an example of this is how NOPD has acted during this. They haven't been perfect, used tear gas once and the Police Chief said they are investigating the possible use of rubber bullets by some officers, but they haven't just gone off and started beating protesters. So, it's at least some progress as a result of proper training.

You may be right. I'm seeing talk of defending the police, but not really seeing any comprehensive solutions that would make that approach workable. I certainly think a smaller, more efficient police force is viable. But to completely defend the police without any viable alternatives is to invite more problems than solutions. I don’t have the answers, though.

A smaller police force I think makes sense. And I think that we completely need to re-frame when it is necessary to use deadly force. The number of killed unarmed people by police should be zero, having just one of ANY color is unacceptable. We need complete visibility with body cams. I think that our police officers should be among the most trained in our society at communication. I honestly think that may be one of the bigger reasons to account for the differential in deaths between blacks and whites...maybe even more than racism.

This certainly does not help race relations:

source.gif

I lived in Minnesota. One of the most liberal places in the country...with Minneapolis/St. Paul being one of the most liberal cities. Their entire government structure is liberal. Their mayor, who elects the police chief is liberal. Heck...the police chief is probably also liberal. You'd think that philosophically Minneapolis would be one of the better cities to be able to handle a system problem like this...right?

We can have the best rules, training, and structure known to man...but if we have police officers that do not respect the value of human life...then we're in trouble. It's going to take a heck of a lot to convince me that with better training and a better system that it would prevent this cop from being a racist killer. You have to change hearts...we have to find a way to prevent those at risk of being killer cops to NOT. If that doesn't happen, then we will continue to struggle. And it will continue to be a struggle in spite of our efforts because now police recruitment became that much more challenging. Who in their right minds would want to be a police officer right now? It's going to be those who struggle to find other work or those LOOKING for power and confrontation. And not to mention...it's an incredibly difficult thing to fight history and people's preconceived biases. There is literally no margin of error, so I'm not even sure that there are reasonable acceptable outcome measures.

Better training and a better system, one with actual consequences would indeed have prevented him from being a racist killer. Not necessarily the racist part, but the killer part...because the other three pigs who stood by would have strong motivation to stop him.

I agree it's not a cure all, but training does help to change those hearts and minds. It also helps to make sure that Police Officers who see others violating rights know that they have the right and obligation to stop them, even if they are superior officers, and to report it when it happens.

And an example of this is how NOPD has acted during this. They haven't been perfect, used tear gas once and the Police Chief said they are investigating the possible use of rubber bullets by some officers, but they haven't just gone off and started beating protesters. So, it's at least some progress as a result of proper training.
But a sociopath is a sociopath. Their wiring is pathological. You cannot train a sociopath to
change their hearts & minds. From what I have read, there is not even any treatment for a sociopath.

My question is, why aren’t these sociopaths evaluated better & weeded out???

Granted there are doctors who are sociopaths, priests who are sociopaths etc etc etc.....but policemen seem to have more than their fair share of sociopaths that are allowed to run amuck.

A smaller police force I think makes sense. And I think that we completely need to re-frame when it is necessary to use deadly force. The number of killed unarmed people by police should be zero, having just one of ANY color is unacceptable. We need complete visibility with body cams. I think that our police officers should be among the most trained in our society at communication. I honestly think that may be one of the bigger reasons to account for the differential in deaths between blacks and whites...maybe even more than racism.
I'll post this again.

You can also look at the wiki page for Campaign Zero. A decent summary.

But a sociopath is a sociopath. Their wiring is pathological. You cannot train a sociopath to
change their hearts & minds. From what I have read, there is not even any treatment for a sociopath.

Granted there are doctors who are sociopaths, priests who are sociopaths etc etc etc.....but policemen seem to have more than their fair share of sociopaths that are allowed to run amuck.

Consequences. Most sociopaths are law-abiding because it's easier than living your life looking over your shoulder.

Easy. De-fund education. De-fund mental health. This has been systematic, not accidental. Look at how our tax dollars are spent and who allocates the funds. Look at who writes the proposed laws (lobbyists helpful advisors wink, wink), and then who votes those laws in, without even reading them!!! Follow the money. Up the chain.

Better training and a better system, one with actual consequences would indeed have prevented him from being a racist killer. Not necessarily the racist part, but the killer part...because the other three pigs who stood by would have strong motivation to stop him.

I just read on my news feed that 2 of the 4 cops, were rookies, and had been on the job FOR 4 DAYS!!! It would take some kind of brass balls for a 4 day rookie to overpower a 20 year vet cop.

Consequences. Most sociopaths are law-abiding because it's easier than living your life looking over your shoulder.
If you say so 😊👍

I am not that knowledgeable about sociopathic behavior. I just know an evil sociopathic cop when I see the carnage they have caused. 😡

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom