The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (8 Viewers)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I'm starting a thread here for those who want to discuss the riots that have/are taking place because of the unspeakable inhumanity of that pathetic excuse for a police officer murdering a black man by kneeling on his neck for what I believe was ten minutes or so.

The other thread is about the murder and the discussion is getting derailed with the two topics going simultaneously. Of course I don't like to see riots ever happen, but I totally understand why they do when they make sense. This isn't Los Angeles looting and rioting because the Lakers won a championship. This is (even worse than) the Rodney King riots. After Philando Castile being murdered on camera and the cop getting acquitted in the same area of the state, if you can't understand why people are rioting now, here's the thread for you to find out. Racism is why they're rioting. They don't feel like there's another choice since this kind of thing keeps happening over and over again with little to no repercussions to the murderers in many cases.

Anyway, respect the other thread's topic and discussion and talk about your feelings about the riots - or rioting in general - in this thread if that's what you want to talk about.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Because the pressure from outside of the state pushed the legislators to force it through rather than bring it to vote, which is pretty much what most people in the state have been asking for.
I'd be legitimately interested to read about it. All I see is a 2001 statewide referendum vote that failed by 64% to 36% majority, and reference to some bills in 2015 that never made it out of committee. Any idea where there's more info on this?

Reaction score
we do know. You may not want to accept, but that's not the same as not knowing.
Which is exactly why they should have brought it to a vote, because now they took the opportunity for the people to do the right thing away and made the decision for them. But had they not, you'd be right here posting "Mississippi being Mississippi," wouldn't you?

Reaction score
Which is exactly why they should have brought it to a vote, because now they took the opportunity for the people to do the right thing away and made the decision for them. But had they not, you'd be right here posting "Mississippi being Mississippi," wouldn't you?
It was brought to a vote--in the legislature, where the people are represented.

OP
insidejob

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
And yet it took massive worldwide protests to get them to stop talking about doing something and actually do something.
This was my point. Yeah, they've been "talking about it" for more than a decade now. International protests over racism? It's done in a month.

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This was my point. Yeah, they've been "talking about it" for more than a decade now. International protests over racism? It's done in a month.
Absolutely. Like @Boy_of_wonder75 just said - protests work.

Especially when there's just enough anger involved to make people uncomfortable and make them think that the unrest might be coming to a suburb near you in the future. Just enough so that the comfortable people in their communities know that the wronged people aren't forking around.

Reaction score
I'd be legitimately interested to read about it. All I see is a 2001 statewide referendum vote that failed by 64% to 36% majority, and reference to some bills in 2015 that never made it out of committee. Any idea where there's more info on this?
I've done enough of your research for you already with no response. If you're really interested then start by Googling "removes Mississippi state flag" and start searching by timeline. Maybe start around the time when all of the state universities removed it. I'm certain you can find that info somewhere around here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom