The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I'm starting a thread here for those who want to discuss the riots that have/are taking place because of the unspeakable inhumanity of that pathetic excuse for a police officer murdering a black man by kneeling on his neck for what I believe was ten minutes or so.

The other thread is about the murder and the discussion is getting derailed with the two topics going simultaneously. Of course I don't like to see riots ever happen, but I totally understand why they do when they make sense. This isn't Los Angeles looting and rioting because the Lakers won a championship. This is (even worse than) the Rodney King riots. After Philando Castile being murdered on camera and the cop getting acquitted in the same area of the state, if you can't understand why people are rioting now, here's the thread for you to find out. Racism is why they're rioting. They don't feel like there's another choice since this kind of thing keeps happening over and over again with little to no repercussions to the murderers in many cases.

Anyway, respect the other thread's topic and discussion and talk about your feelings about the riots - or rioting in general - in this thread if that's what you want to talk about.

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've done enough of your research for you already with no response. If you're really interested then start by Googling "removes Mississippi state flag" and start searching by timeline. Maybe start around the time when all of the state universities removed it. I'm certain you can find that info somewhere around here.
I don't think it exists. I was civilly giving you an opportunity to make your point without trying to call you out, but I think you're full of it. I already googled. I can find no such thing. All I can find is bills that never made it out of committee. As far as I can see there has never been a serious attempt to change the flag in the state of Mississippi.

Reaction score
I don't think it exists. I was civilly giving you an opportunity to make your point without trying to call you out, but I think you're full of it. I already googled. I can find no such thing. All I can find is bills that never made it out of committee. As far as I can see there has never been a serious attempt to change the flag in the state of Mississippi.
By the legislature? Probably not. But it's people, it's cities, municipalities, schools, courts, businesses? Yes it has.

OP
insidejob

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I've done enough of your research for you already with no response. If you're really interested then start by Googling "removes Mississippi state flag" and start searching by timeline. Maybe start around the time when all of the state universities removed it. I'm certain you can find that info somewhere around here.
All I can find since the news is dominated with what happened today is that 2 more state universities removed the state flag in 2017 leaving just Delta State hanging it.

It's really hard to find much more info other than what happened today via search and I'm not spending hours to do so. The fact remains that the last time the citizens of MS voted on it, it was ridiculously lopsided to keep it. And recently, state senators tried to force universities to fly the flag, the opposite of taking it down. (Apparently didn't make it out of committee IIRC)

This is the only article I could find about universities taking it down and it's from Alabama.com or whatever.

OP
insidejob

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
By the legislature? Probably not. But it's people, it's cities, municipalities, schools, courts, businesses? Yes it has.
Can you help us out then? Seriously. I can't find a single thing that represents what you're saying.

ETA: And in the article I linked above, it says that even though K-12 schools weren't required to fly the flag, they did. K-12. Jesus. If that's not making the flag a part of the fabric of these kids' lives, I don't know what is.

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
All I can find since the news is dominated with what happened today is that 2 more state universities removed the state flag in 2017 leaving just Delta State hanging it.

It's really hard to find much more info other than what happened today via search and I'm not spending hours to do so. The fact remains that the last time the citizens of MS voted on it, it was ridiculously lopsided to keep it. And recently, state senators tried to force universities to fly the flag, the opposite of taking it down.

This is the only article I could find about universities taking it down and it's from Alabama.com or whatever.

Yeah, I'm not feeling the whole "the onus is on you to prove Mississippi isn't racist!" vibe :hihi:

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've never pretended Mississippi wasn't racists either. In fact I've said just the opposite.
to be fair you are drawing a very fine and subtle like that the rest of us just can't see
now, sure, maybe we're not trying super hard, but it does seem a very subtle and winding argument

OP
insidejob

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I've never pretended Mississippi wasn't racists either. In fact I've said just the opposite.
You know the love I have for MS in general from the conversation we had the other day, so don't think anything I'm asking of you is trying to put you or MS down. Just curious and apparently Yahoo doesn't work like Google does because I searched using 2000-2019 and was still dominated with articles from hours ago.

Reaction score
to be fair you are drawing a very fine and subtle like that the rest of us just can't see
now, sure, maybe we're not trying super hard, but it does seem a very subtle and winding argument
Again, I'm not arguing that racism doesn't still exist here. To the contrary, I see it all the time and often on a day-to-day basis. But that's not the point. The point is, judging by the things I'm seeing in this thread, on FB, in the news... everywhere, is that it's no better anywhere else and in many cases it seems much worse. And no, I certainly don't take any pleasure or satisfaction in that thought, but I do, however feel some relief in knowing that we (Mississippi) are showing some amount of progress whereas other regions seem to be regressing.
This isn't a subtle line and it's where I've stood from the moment I started posting in this thread.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not feeling the whole "the onus is on you to prove Mississippi isn't racist!" vibe :hihi:
I've provided you links before in this very thread and you completely ignored them. You made slanderous statements to try to make a case and put me back in my box, I called you on it and all you could respond with was a meme. How about admitting your mistake and listening rather than trying to put me down at every turn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Darius Miller medical update Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0