The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I'm starting a thread here for those who want to discuss the riots that have/are taking place because of the unspeakable inhumanity of that pathetic excuse for a police officer murdering a black man by kneeling on his neck for what I believe was ten minutes or so.

The other thread is about the murder and the discussion is getting derailed with the two topics going simultaneously. Of course I don't like to see riots ever happen, but I totally understand why they do when they make sense. This isn't Los Angeles looting and rioting because the Lakers won a championship. This is (even worse than) the Rodney King riots. After Philando Castile being murdered on camera and the cop getting acquitted in the same area of the state, if you can't understand why people are rioting now, here's the thread for you to find out. Racism is why they're rioting. They don't feel like there's another choice since this kind of thing keeps happening over and over again with little to no repercussions to the murderers in many cases.

Anyway, respect the other thread's topic and discussion and talk about your feelings about the riots - or rioting in general - in this thread if that's what you want to talk about.

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've provided you links before in this very thread and you completely ignored them. You made slanderous statements to try to make a case and put me back in my box, I called you on it and all you could respond with was a meme.
Your argument has twisted and blown around in the wind so much that the thing you provided links to doesn't even remotely resemble the original statement you made that I asked you about. You have been all over the place on the last few pages, I'm not even sure you understand what you're arguing anymore. You've taken a defensive stance for your state and that's understandable, but you're sort of flailing, man.

I'm going to duck out of this conversation because you're being neither consistent with your argument or intellectually honest. I'm always up for a good, even if heated, discussion but I'm not interesting in trying to herd cats.

How about admitting your mistake and listening rather than trying to put me down at every turn?

Reaction score
Your argument has twisted and blown around in the wind so much that the thing you provided links to doesn't even remotely resemble the original statement you made that I asked you about.
Your original question:
I'm not familiar with the history of that - why wasn't it taken to a vote?
And my answer:
Because the pressure from outside of the state pushed the legislators to force it through rather than bring it to vote, which is pretty much what most people in the state have been asking for.
Why wasn't it taken to a vote? Because the State House & Senate decided they would rather make the decision themselves now because of outside pressure rather than allow the citizens the opportunity to vote on it. There were several representatives who were calling for a vote, but of course they were criticized and accused of trying to kill the issue. What more did you want to know? The people (cities, businesses, advocacy groups, the whole gambit) of the state have been pushing to bring this to a vote again for years. Are you expecting me to search through the past decade or so for every example I can find? Just so I can theoretically prove to you "that we're not racists," something that I've never even said? All you've done up until today is take drive-by pot shots at me. You make a false statement and when you can't back it up, instead of admitting your mistake you double down on it. Even with that I answered you respectfully when you asked what seemed like a genuine question. Then you pressed for more info and it took me one post telling you I wasn't gong to be your whipping boy anymore for you to show me what I figured all along. You had no real interest in what you were asking for, you were just looking for another opportunity to discredit me. You went in believing I was "full of it" to begin with and you want to preach to me about intellectual honesty.

Last edited:

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — In the latest move to change place names in light of U.S. racial history, leaders of Orange County’s Democratic Party are pushing to drop film legend John Wayne’s name, statue and other likenesses from the county’s airport because of his racist and bigoted comments.

The Los Angeles Times reported that earlier this week, officials passed an emergency resolution condemning Wayne’s “racist and bigoted statements” made in a 1971 interview and are calling on the Orange County Board of Supervisors to drop his name, statue and other likenesses from the international airport.

The resolution asked the board “to restore its original name: Orange County Airport.”..........

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — In the latest move to change place names in light of U.S. racial history, leaders of Orange County’s Democratic Party are pushing to drop film legend John Wayne’s name, statue and other likenesses from the county’s airport because of his racist and bigoted comments.

The Los Angeles Times reported that earlier this week, officials passed an emergency resolution condemning Wayne’s “racist and bigoted statements” made in a 1971 interview and are calling on the Orange County Board of Supervisors to drop his name, statue and other likenesses from the international airport.

The resolution asked the board “to restore its original name: Orange County Airport.”..........

I don't anyone who calls it "John Wayne" Airport anyway. Everyone I know calls it "Orange County".

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's the Missouri that I know

The protesters marching through St. Louis on Sunday evening were armed only with posters and chants, all meant to put pressure on Mayor Lyda Krewson to redirect city funds away from law enforcement.

“Resign Lyda, take the cops with you,” they shouted on the way to the mayor’s house in the Central West End, banging on drums and carrying signs that said, “Respect us.”

The first-term Democrat had publicly released the names and addresses of some fellow activists, and now they wanted to bring their demonstration to her door.

But as the peaceful crowd of about 500 walked along a private, gated street, a white couple who emerged from a marble mansion had something else in mind.

Around 6 p.m. Sunday, a barefoot man in a pink collared shirt walked out from the five-story house, carrying a semiautomatic rifle as he appeared to threaten the group.

A few feet away, a woman pointed a pistol at the crowd, her finger directly on the trigger..........

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Your original question:

And my answer:

Why wasn't it taken to a vote? Because the State House & Senate decided they would rather make the decision themselves now because of outside pressure rather than allow the citizens the opportunity to vote on it. There were several representatives who were calling for a vote, but of course they were criticized and accused of trying to kill the issue. What more did you want to know? The people (cities, businesses, advocacy groups, the whole gambit) of the state have been pushing to bring this to a vote again for years. Are you expecting me to search through the past decade or so for every example I can find? Just so I can theoretically prove to you "that we're not racists," something that I've never even said? All you've done up until today is take drive-by pot shots at me. You make a false statement and when you can't back it up, instead of admitting your mistake you double down on it. Even with that I answered you respectfully when you asked what seemed like a genuine question. Then you pressed for more info and it took me one post telling you I wasn't gong to be your whipping boy anymore for you to show me what I figured all along. You had no real interest in what you were asking for, you were just looking for another opportunity to discredit me. You went in believing I was "full of it" to begin with and you want to preach to me about intellectual honesty.
Or maybe they know that the citizens are not likely to do the right thing in this instance. Sometimes government officials have to make calls like this for the greater good, if it is within their power.

OP
insidejob

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Or maybe they know that the citizens are not likely to do the right thing in this instance. Sometimes government officials have to make calls like this for the greater good, if it is within their power.
They did their jobs as representatives elected by the people. That's the point of voting isn't it?

Reaction score
Which is why I said we'll never know. I personally believe that the measure would have passed this time. When the measure was brought to a vote back in 2001, I don't think people cared enough to go out and vote on it and I'm not just talking about whites. Our state has many more problems than what flag it flies and though there were a lot of very outspoken people calling for it's removal, the general consensus was we've got more important things to worry about. But now, just judging by the things I've seen, people I know, what I hear being said, what's in the news, I honestly feel like it would have passed. But the legislature didn't trust it's people to do the right thing and that has it's own ramifications. Now, instead of people seeing that Mississippi is actually capable of doing the right thing, they can point to how it was done and say that it wouldn't have passed without the outside pressure and the legislators forcing it through.

Reaction score
Vote them out if you think that's the case.
Ultimately my personal feelings were represented and I got the desired result, so I don't have as much an issue with it. But that's not to say it couldn't happen again with less desirable results. For now I'm going to leave my election choices up to more pressing matters such as education, but I'll certainly be wary of them making a habit out of cutting out the voters in the future.

ETA: I'm mainly just disappointed that an important moment in state and racial history was taken away from the people. It really could have been something much more meaningful and unifying or even a wake up call to people like me who prefer to think that we've come further than people give us credit for.

Last edited:

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score

Very interesting read. I assume this was in California and not New Orleans, thankfully.
Wow. That's some forked up sheet to happen to a great guy.

I've had that title placed on me many times by white associates and friends, being the whitest black guy they know (it was also due to my complexion). After they got tired of my awkward looks and responses, the titled changed to "proper". But I knew what they meant and it still pisses me off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Darius Miller medical update Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0