The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (17 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what happens when earnest call to remove Confederate statues are ignored for decades. Instead of removing the obviously egregious statues of Confederate soldiers in towns and cities where the person being honored had no ties, those calls were met with derision, contempt, and uncompromising apathy. When educated, civil conversations aren't allowed to be had. This is what happens.

I tend to think there's truth to this. The snap-back after so many ignored voices for so long is predictable. At first, I was scratching my head at the choices of statues being torn down, but then, the refusal to remove the obviously egregious statues over several decades has led to this.

Is there a violent extremist aspect to what's going on? Sure. They'll take advantage of the situation. But, there are many, many more who are not like that who have been ignored and should be acknowledged and heard.

I tend to think there's truth to this. The snap-back after so many ignored voices for so long is predictable. At first, I was scratching my head at the choices of statues being torn down, but then, the refusal to remove the obviously egregious statues over several decades has led to this.

Is there a violent extremist aspect to what's going on? Sure. They'll take advantage of the situation. But, there are many, many more who are not like that who have been ignored and should be acknowledged and heard.
I just wish I was there to tell them to google it first.

This is what happens when earnest call to remove Confederate statues are ignored for decades. Instead of removing the obviously egregious statues of Confederate soldiers in towns and cities where the person being honored had no ties, those calls were met with derision, contempt, and uncompromising apathy. When educated, civil conversations aren't allowed to be had. This is what happens.
Langston Hughes warned us

She was a fictional character..

fictional....

Character...

(Ben Affleck, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back)

And even if her likeness was based off of real people all these years, I sincerely doubt anyone was reimbursed or paid royalties for their likeness. Is the "American Dream", to be ripped off? Because that's the only thing that happened if Aunt Jemima wasn't fictional. The idiocy of thinking a fictional character embodies the American dream is one thing. The audacity to think that just being the face on the pancake syrup on your kitchen table is reward enough...is...is...monumentally condescending.

Someone should start a brand of mayonnaise and put a caricature of her on it to see how much she likes the American dream.

Lost your job, possibly ruined your career, facing criminal charges and ruined your reputation because you couldn't walk past a sign you didn't agree with. Wonderful.

Don't hurt people and don't take/damage their stuff.
No idea why this is so difficult. (Actually I do know why it is so difficult)

I get the point but in Madison, WI and San Francisco, CA I think its more about just wrecking stuff than boiling over with anger about local Confederate monuments.

I get the point but in Madison, WI and San Francisco, CA I think its more about just wrecking stuff than boiling over with anger about local Confederate monuments.

They also beat up a 60-year old state senator - a gay, progressive democrat. He stopped to take photos on his way to the state house and they attacked him.

I'd have to search for the Fort Lauderdale protests/riots I commented on a month or so ago, but there was a police officer who lost his temper and shoved a lady on her knees while walking by her, and some of the cops there yelled at him and told him to take a break or whatever.

Looks like he has other use of force issues. Saw part of the press conference yesterday.

Now, Fort Lauderdale has a pretty open use of force policy and they review all uses of force, which include just drawing your firearm or using any physical means to gain compliance (like aggressively grabbing your arms). However, what they weren't doing was automatically reviewing the body cams with that review. Now they will.

The Chief didn't want to weigh in on the video until he gets the complete report (to avoid bias), but he was troubled by some things (wouldn't elaborate), and they released some video.

I think the one at the end, the issue for me is how aggresively they're cuffing the kid (didn't listen to audio to know if he had a shoulder issue), but he puts his knee on the back of the kid's neck, then sorta jumps on him with his knee. Which, I believe is what he meant by "knee strikes" to gain compliance. Just seems overboard.

They also beat up a 60-year old state senator - a gay, progressive democrat. He stopped to take photos on his way to the state house and they attacked him.

Looks like two women rolled up on him to take his phone, one was large and white. The smaller one, hard to tell.

Madison is like 6% black, and is a college town. This is looking like a bunch of white kids just wanting to wreck stuff.

Everyone who tore down those statues, and assaulted that politician should be arrested, if possible.

I am typing a longer, more robust response on this, on MAP, but I think Ken Burns, so far, had the best take on it:

"We have to do a lot of listening. We have to permit mistakes to be made and people to overshoot the mark and rhetoric to be too inflammatory because for too long people have had a knee at their neck."

Remember when I said that now things will get hard. That reckoning that KB speaks of, y'all, some uncomfortable things are going to happen and if you aren't steadfast in your belief that the reckoning is necessary, there will be a multitude of off-ramps for you to jump ship and get back to the safer seas of the status quo. This isn't jumping the shark to me. It's course correction. But, course correction isn't smooth sailing and we have to give space for mistakes to happen and not end the movement over it. I'm not saying just accept innocent people getting the sheet kicked out of them or benign statues being toppled but, in a reckoning, the settlement of a bill or an account, yeah, the bill collector isn't a Saint. But, neither were the debtors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom