The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (54 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we certain these protesters weren't right-wing, boogaloo boy-esque folk?

The twitter feed that documented the string of events is a newspaper reporter in WI - she rode along for the entire day with the crowd. I'm not 100% sure about the assault on the state senator but the statue toppling was definitely part of the protest. It was triggered by the earlier arrest of a protestor who brought a baseball bat and a megaphone into a restaurant nearby.

The question is really whether it was an excusable excess of the movement or just kids wrecking stuff. Or both.

*edit*

Here's the view from the state senator's phone. It doesn't appear to be white supremacists to me but who knows.

Last edited:
A Missouri restaurant is changing its name after citing the problematic history of the term. Savage restaurant announced in a Facebook post this past weekend it will be rebranding to SHIFT restaurant.

The restaurant, which is located in St. Louis, MO, is known for its seafood. In the statement announcing the name change, the SHIFT staff said the term "savage" has racially charged historical connotations.

"Savage is a word with a troubled history and it was a mistake to celebrate that in our naming. We are truly sorry for the ignorance and haste of choosing it, and any harm or discomfort it may have caused any of our guests and community," it said.............

I am typing a longer, more robust response on this, on MAP, but I think Ken Burns, so far, had the best take on it:

"We have to do a lot of listening. We have to permit mistakes to be made and people to overshoot the mark and rhetoric to be too inflammatory because for too long people have had a knee at their neck."

Remember when I said that now things will get hard. That reckoning that KB speaks of, y'all, some uncomfortable things are going to happen and if you aren't steadfast in your belief that the reckoning is necessary, there will be a multitude of off-ramps for you to jump ship and get back to the safer seas of the status quo. This isn't jumping the shark to me. It's course correction. But, course correction isn't smooth sailing and we have to give space for mistakes to happen and not end the movement over it. I'm not saying just accept innocent people getting the sheet kicked out of them or benign statues being toppled but, in a reckoning, the settlement of a bill or an account, yeah, the bill collector isn't a Saint. But, neither were the debtors.

I tend to agree. Like you, I think mistakes will be made, and I think there will be some course corrections along the way. That said, with time, I think the broader public will start to react a bit more, the further along we get, and i think will figure out who the real bad actors are who are attempting to hijack this movement to their own ends. There no doubt are people who are trying to make groups look bad and stir up controversy, because that ultimately benefits their cause. They couldn't care less about BLM or justice. It's all about the agenda.

I'm about empathy and allowing those who have truly been oppressed to be heard and ultimately, to be made whole. Furthering that discussion gets into the political realm, but those are my thoughts on where we are at the moment. Is it uncomfortable? Sure, but change and cultural shifts are rarely comfortable. They're often painful, but definitely necessary for growth. The last thing we need is a return to the status quo.

A Missouri restaurant is changing its name after citing the problematic history of the term. Savage restaurant announced in a Facebook post this past weekend it will be rebranding to SHIFT restaurant.

The restaurant, which is located in St. Louis, MO, is known for its seafood. In the statement announcing the name change, the SHIFT staff said the term "savage" has racially charged historical connotations.

"Savage is a word with a troubled history and it was a mistake to celebrate that in our naming. We are truly sorry for the ignorance and haste of choosing it, and any harm or discomfort it may have caused any of our guests and community," it said.............

Macho-Man-Ooh-Yeah_Card_Photo_1024x1024.jpg

Never heard of savage being a problematic word.

Never heard of savage being a problematic word.

Yeah, and there going with “Shift” which is maybe one of the worst names for a restaurant I’ve heard of.

“Let’s go get some seafood at that Shift restaurant.” Mmm mm sounds good, doesn’t it?

Be sure to try their famous shift burger.

Last edited:
Yeah, and there going with “Shift” which is maybe one of the worst names for a restaurant I’ve heard of.

“Let’s go get some seafood at that Shift restaurant.” Mmm mm sounds good, doesn’t it?

Be sure to try their famous shift burger.
Sounds like a shifty name for a restaurant to me. :mwink:

That’s surprising since it was the main stated reason Christian missionaries went into native communities

Never heard that spoken with any of the missionaries I knew. The natives are people just like we are. That's how we always talked about the mission field. Heck, we're more screwed up here than most everywhere else these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom