The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit I don’t get the Aunt Jemima thing, and neither does the family of one of the women who portrayed her

I have to admit I don’t get the Aunt Jemima thing, and neither does the family of one of the women who portrayed her

Honestly very few people do. This is a case of a corporation being tone-deaf and going overboard.

That's pretty interesting. Thanks for the article.

I understand why it would have been targeted, however misguided it might be. Sort of like wanting to remove abolitionist statues, which also seems weird to me. I get and agree with removing names/memorials of Confederate soldiers and leaders, but the rest seems a bit much.

Honestly very few people do. This is a case of a corporation being tone-deaf and going overboard.

Correct, and that's the problem - you and many people don't "get it," so the automatic conclusion to jump to is this is "tone-deaf" or "overboard." Honestly, I was in the same boat for about 10 minutes, until I did more research on the subject.

The problem with Aunt Jemima is not the version we see of her today, but the version of her my parents and grandparents grew up with - the caricature jive talkin' slave-like version of her, with advertisements serving her white masters.

I did not grow up in that time period, but for many older people in the black community, the brand and product still represents glorification of an oppressive time, similar to Confederate monuments and such.

Here are some examples of what Aunt Jemima represents to someone like my mom, or my aunt, or a grandparent.....

TX0cR9N.jpg

t1Z0Y0H.jpg

BLsuXKr.jpg

at20Xkl.jpg

What do you think a 90 year old woman whose grandmother was a slave, or what a 70 year old man (about the age my father would be today) who experienced segregation and harsh treatment as a teenager sees when they see these images above? Sure, the image has been polished up over time, but those original slave caricature images are still ingrained in their heads and the brand represents something different to them than it ever possibly could for you (or I for that matter).

Now, would I personally have ever thought twice about this if it was never announced? No. But that's only because my experiences are not the same experiences of other people, and I am man enough to acknowledge and respect that fact.

The family sees a come-up story and an advertisement that made them or a family member rich (not to mention some of them have a bone to pick due to a failed lawsuit in an attempt to get royalty payments), but others see oppression.

One of the simplest yet most profound things I've read was on this site years ago, I've used it many times since

Way too many people have the mindset of "I don't get it, therefore there’s nothing to get"

That attitude is why we have many of the problems we have and why change is so hard - "I don't see anything wrong with XYZ so why change it?"

People who don't have a problem with XYZ assume that most people don't have a problem with it ("My opinion must be the majority opinion") and those people also think that anyone who does have a problem with XYZ are just whining, complaining, sensitive, stirring up trouble, rocking the boat etc.

Last edited:

I don't know that looks like a noose to me

ETA: This likely won't be a popular opinion but it would not shock me if it was a pully for the door but the person who made it was a moron and didn't realize what he did.

It is a noose. I have a thing for tying knots. You'd use a bowline or something like that for a pull. Never moves and never comes undone. And it's hanging way lower than a pull tie to pull down the garage door should be. You'd have to grab it a lot higher than where the hole is for leverage and if you pulled it using the loop, it'd close on your hand.

It is a noose. I have a thing for tying knots. You'd use a bowline or something like that for a pull. Never moves and never comes undone. And it's hanging way lower than a pull tie to pull down the garage door should be. You'd have to grab it a lot higher than where the hole is for leverage and if you pulled it using the loop, it'd close on your hand.

I agree with you. All I can say is this, many many moons ago I worked on oil rigs. I new nothing of all the names and types of rope knots. Every now and then the Driller or lead deck would have me tie a rope. Every single time it damn near came out like above. Then instead of actually showing me how to do it they would just call me a dumbarse and shake their head an redo it. Rinse wash repeat. I could possibly see something like that being the case where they got some random dummy and said "hey heres some rope make a pully". Allegedly this just didn't happen (I'd have to verify) but it has been there for around a year now.

I agree with you. All I can say is this, many many moons ago I worked on oil rigs. I new nothing of all the names and types of rope knots. Every now and then the Driller or lead deck would have me tie a rope. Every single time it damn near came out like above. Then instead of actually showing me how to do it they would just call me a dumbarse and shake their head an redo it. Rinse wash repeat. I could possibly see something like that being the case where they got some random dummy and said "hey heres some rope make a pully". Allegedly this just didn't happen (I'd have to verify) but it has been there for around a year now.
Oh, I'm totally not saying that it was tied with the intention of it being there for Bubba Wallace. I think some idiot on someone's crew thought they were being cute and it's just been hanging there since last October.

ETA: And people need to stop aiming crap at Wallace about this. He never even saw it. Someone on his crew did and reported it. With the racial tensions going on in this country right now, he reacted like any normal person would and didn't "Smollett" anything.

Oh, I'm totally not saying that it was tied with the intention of it being there for Bubba Wallace. I think some idiot on someone's crew thought they were being cute and it's just been hanging there since last October.

Yeah I can see this also being the case and after seeing more pics I would say you're right

Now all the right wing conspiracy "LOLBUBBASMOLLETT!!1!" people are saying it's different than the one first shown a few days ago, but no one confirmed the first photo as being the one from Talladega.

It was probably made by someone who thought they were being cute. When I was in high school I remember one class I sat toward the back by the windows, and someone, who I imagine thought they were being funny, had tied a small hangman's noose out of the cords from the window blinds. And it was like that for the whole semester (it was small and relatively unnoticeable unless you sat near it) -- I don't think anyone interpreted it as being racially motivated or hostile (though it's certainly possible and maybe even probable that it was), just more along the lines of someone showing off their knot making skills and intimating "Geometry makes me want to hang myself."

ETA: This likely won't be a popular opinion but it would not shock me if it was a pully for the door but the person who made it was a moron and didn't realize what he did.

I think whoever made it several months ago absolutely knew what he was making. I don't think it was made with Wallace in mind because that person couldn't have known Wallace would be assigned the garage. Just a weird coincidence.

Wallace shouldn't get any grief over this because it wasn't his idea, and he didn't ask for this attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom