The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

100% bullshirt

From the article
=================

....“I was chanting Black Lives Matter… and that’s not even on video,” she told KOLR10 reporter David Chasanov on Wednesday. “It’s like I blacked out. I don’t even remember.....

She says she watched from the other side of the street and was later handed a Confederate flag. She told KOLR10 she assumed it was a symbol of unity.........

==============================

Either she’s an idiot or she thinks we are

I’m almost as mad about this “apology” as I was when I first saw her video

100% bullshirt

From the article
=================

....“I was chanting Black Lives Matter… and that’s not even on video,” she told KOLR10 reporter David Chasanov on Wednesday. “It’s like I blacked out. I don’t even remember.....

She says she watched from the other side of the street and was later handed a Confederate flag. She told KOLR10 she assumed it was a symbol of unity.........

It's funny how these people get a sudden bout of clarity when the repercussions of their hateful ways comes to them. If you believe what you believe, then have the courage of your convictions.

100% bullshirt

From the article
=================

tenor.gif

What a liar.

I swear - one of the most fascinating things I have learned throughout this saga is that racists fight to the death to claim they're not a racist.

Just own it, express remorse, express that you will make an effort to change, do a few acts of kindness to illustrate the changes you have made, and move on lady.

*scratches head in state flag*
If the state flag is our worst problem right now in terms of race relations then I'll take that any day over the insanity that I'm seeing in this thread. Last I looked, it's pretty damn peaceful and unified here by comparison and in terms of the flag controversy, I see way more people on FB getting behind changing the flag than not as well as many folks getting excited over some of the proposals being put forth.

If the state flag is our worst problem right now in terms of race relations then I'll take that any day over the insanity that I'm seeing in this thread. Last I looked, it's pretty damn peaceful and unified here by comparison and in terms of the flag controversy, I see way more people on FB getting behind changing the flag than not as well as many folks getting excited over some of the proposals being put forth.
i've just never really understood the zero sum game approach to racism
i would catch a student chewing gum (or cell phones or whatever) and her reply was "what about rebecca, she's chewing gum too"
i was always like "how does someone else also being guilty somehow absolve you of your behavior?"

Also finding racism in other states does not mitigate mississippi's racial issues in any way

i've just never really understood the zero sum game approach to racism
i would catch a student chewing gum (or cell phones or whatever) and her reply was "what about rebecca, she's chewing gum too"
i was always like "how does someone else also being guilty somehow absolve you of your behavior?"

Also finding racism in other states does not mitigate mississippi's racial issues in any way
I never said, nor meant to imply that it did. Just simply stating that it's about time everyone else need step down from their high horse.

Glad to see at the end of the video that the news station reached out to one of the leaders of the BLM protest to pour water on that half assed apology she made and called her out for doing what she was. Apologizing for being caught, not because she was sorry what she said and did.

I never said, nor meant to imply that it did. Just simply stating that it's about time everyone else need step down from their high horse.
(Extending the conversation vs fussing at you)
But the way you framed this was to say ‘don’t point the finger at Mississippi ‘ and also ‘people have moved their position in regards to the stars and bars’
Those both tell me that you want Mississippi to be seen in a better racial light
- not that the light needs to shine more brightly on other states

Let Mississippi get some congressional representation somewhere close to its demographics then we can talk about improvements
This is not the time for plank/splinter comparisons

I practically grew up in Bay Saint Louis and my entire maternal side of the family has moved there/in the process of moving there. As a kid I didn't notice the racism, well, because I was a kid. But as I've grown up, and traveled more of the state, I can say that the coast isn't as racist as most of the state but it's still one of the most racist places I've ever been. And it has nothing to do with the flag. I don't lump all Mississippians into being racist - that'd just be dumb. There are lots of good people who I've met in some of the most backwards parts of the state. It also feels like segregation still exists there. In BSL - especially pre-Katrina, but even now - you can go an entire weekend without seeing a black person unless you travel deep enough into town to get to where they all live. And I don't think it's just because of economic reasons that they're basically kept as far away from the Beach Rd. as possible. My mom was able to rent a little place for $800/month right in town. If she was black, I'm not sure they'd have rented the place to her. Now that they'll all be living there I'm sure I'll be going more and more often and will pay attention to things more closely. Haven't been to Ocean Springs in years so I can't speak to where you live, but I remember it being pretty exclusive. Is it still that way?

ETA: It's not like Louisiana is much better when you get outside of New Orleans, so I'm not coming from a high horse LA is the bee's knees place. Ever been to Livingston Parish? It is actual klan kountry, IMO.

(Extending the conversation vs fussing at you)
But the way you framed this was to say ‘don’t point the finger at Mississippi ‘ and also ‘people have moved their position in regards to the stars and bars’
Those both tell me that you want Mississippi to be seen in a better racial light
- not that the light needs to shine more brightly on other states

Let Mississippi get some congressional representation somewhere close to its demographics then we can talk about improvements
This is not the time for plank/splinter comparisons
On the contrary, I think this is a perfect time to point out that this is not just a problem in the 'old confederate south,' that we ALL share this issue equally and that people of other regions should no longer be blind and ignorant to the racism and bigotry in their own homes rather than using our region to prop themselves up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom