The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your original question:

And my answer:

Why wasn't it taken to a vote? Because the State House & Senate decided they would rather make the decision themselves now because of outside pressure rather than allow the citizens the opportunity to vote on it. There were several representatives who were calling for a vote, but of course they were criticized and accused of trying to kill the issue. What more did you want to know? The people (cities, businesses, advocacy groups, the whole gambit) of the state have been pushing to bring this to a vote again for years. Are you expecting me to search through the past decade or so for every example I can find? Just so I can theoretically prove to you "that we're not racists," something that I've never even said? All you've done up until today is take drive-by pot shots at me. You make a false statement and when you can't back it up, instead of admitting your mistake you double down on it. Even with that I answered you respectfully when you asked what seemed like a genuine question. Then you pressed for more info and it took me one post telling you I wasn't gong to be your whipping boy anymore for you to show me what I figured all along. You had no real interest in what you were asking for, you were just looking for another opportunity to discredit me. You went in believing I was "full of it" to begin with and you want to preach to me about intellectual honesty.

Or maybe they know that the citizens are not likely to do the right thing in this instance. Sometimes government officials have to make calls like this for the greater good, if it is within their power.

Or maybe they know that the citizens are not likely to do the right thing in this instance. Sometimes government officials have to make calls like this for the greater good, if it is within their power.
They did their jobs as representatives elected by the people. That's the point of voting isn't it?

Which is why I said we'll never know. I personally believe that the measure would have passed this time. When the measure was brought to a vote back in 2001, I don't think people cared enough to go out and vote on it and I'm not just talking about whites. Our state has many more problems than what flag it flies and though there were a lot of very outspoken people calling for it's removal, the general consensus was we've got more important things to worry about. But now, just judging by the things I've seen, people I know, what I hear being said, what's in the news, I honestly feel like it would have passed. But the legislature didn't trust it's people to do the right thing and that has it's own ramifications. Now, instead of people seeing that Mississippi is actually capable of doing the right thing, they can point to how it was done and say that it wouldn't have passed without the outside pressure and the legislators forcing it through.

Vote them out if you think that's the case.
Ultimately my personal feelings were represented and I got the desired result, so I don't have as much an issue with it. But that's not to say it couldn't happen again with less desirable results. For now I'm going to leave my election choices up to more pressing matters such as education, but I'll certainly be wary of them making a habit out of cutting out the voters in the future.

ETA: I'm mainly just disappointed that an important moment in state and racial history was taken away from the people. It really could have been something much more meaningful and unifying or even a wake up call to people like me who prefer to think that we've come further than people give us credit for.

Last edited:

Very interesting read. I assume this was in California and not New Orleans, thankfully.

Wow. That's some forked up sheet to happen to a great guy.

I've had that title placed on me many times by white associates and friends, being the whitest black guy they know (it was also due to my complexion). After they got tired of my awkward looks and responses, the titled changed to "proper". But I knew what they meant and it still pisses me off...

Wow. That's some forked up sheet to happen to a great guy.

I've had that title placed on me many times by white associates and friends, being the whitest black guy they know (it was also due to my complexion). After they got tired of my awkward looks and responses, the titled changed to "proper". But I knew what they meant and it still pisses me off...

I was guilty of doing that on occasion, but haven't done it a long time because hearing it said that way to me got old. I'm hard of hearing, to the point of profound deafness. And people would tell me how articulate and smart I was, and it made me uncomfortable because the focus was on my deafness more than me. I always shrugged it off, but for a long time I never thought about how it would made someone else feel to say they don't fit a stereotype. People, myself included, don't like being put in a neat little box to fit preconceived notions. I'm conscious of it now and try to pay more attention to what i say.

I’m “attending” this Zoom panel conference right now. There are 700+ of us in the call.

I’ve said before that we need to listen. And I know that’s not always easy because a lot of us don’t have real authentic contact with Black people and communities.

And social distancing has made this harder.

except where it’s made this easier. There are all sorts of distance opportunities that are out there. Like this one.

a panel of black scholars and academics, whose backgrounds are in social work and policing and law and incarceration and education and other fields.

but also as Black Americans who are living through this right now as Black Americans.

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — In the latest move to change place names in light of U.S. racial history, leaders of Orange County’s Democratic Party are pushing to drop film legend John Wayne’s name, statue and other likenesses from the county’s airport because of his racist and bigoted comments.

The Los Angeles Times reported that earlier this week, officials passed an emergency resolution condemning Wayne’s “racist and bigoted statements” made in a 1971 interview and are calling on the Orange County Board of Supervisors to drop his name, statue and other likenesses from the international airport.

The resolution asked the board “to restore its original name: Orange County Airport.”..........

He's not even a real Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom