The Derek Chauvin trial {Mod Edit: Guilty on all charges} (2 Viewers)

I disagree. It implies that there is a right verdict. Either Chauvin was proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, or he wasn't. Whichever of those two is true, the verdict that matches that case is the right verdict. Biden's comment didn't imply, in any sense, that he hoped they reached the verdict that he wants them to reach.

Fwiw, the additional context made it more clear what he was getting at.

Fwiw, the additional context made it more clear what he was getting at.

What context? He said, "I'm praying the verdict is the right verdict. I think it's overwhelming, in my view. I wouldn't say that unless the jury was sequestered now." Nothing there seems to indicate that he wants a particular outcome. So, what is the additional context that makes it clear what he is getting at?

From the article:

What the judge didn't say is that if the "right verdict" isn't found (and we all know that means a guilty verdict) then it's only fuel to fan the flames of hostility. Politicians, especially the president, shouldn't be trying to influence outcomes in a trial case, plain and simple.
And how Biden's comments about his prayers for a "guilty" verdict now would influence any outcome after the jury was sequestered?

What context? He said, "I'm praying the verdict is the right verdict. I think it's overwhelming, in my view. I wouldn't say that unless the jury was sequestered now." Nothing there seems to indicate that he wants a particular outcome. So, what is the additional context that makes it clear what he is getting at?

You misunderstood me. I was agreeing with you after reading the additional context of his comments.

I disagree. It implies that there is a right verdict. Either Chauvin was proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, or he wasn't. Whichever of those two is true, the verdict that matches that case is the right verdict. Biden's comment didn't imply, in any sense, that he hoped they reached the verdict that he wants them to reach.
Biden certainly implied a guilty verdict

"I’m praying the verdict is the right verdict, which is -- I think it’s overwhelming, in my view," Biden told reporters in the Oval Office. "I wouldn’t say that unless the -- the jury was sequestered now and not hearing me say that."

We'll just have to disagree. It seems very clear to me that he was saying that he hopes that the jurors reach the correct verdict,
The evidence is overwhelming of what? If Biden wasn't implying a verdict then why talk about what a great family George Floyd has? Has Biden also reached out to Chauvin's family? Has he befriended and supported them as well? If he's impartial, then why not? He certainly hasn't mentioned anything about speaking with them. If he's not implying a verdict then why wait until the jury is sequestered? It's ok to let the jury know that the president is praying for them to have sound, fair judgement, but that's not what he was doing. He's praying for the "right" verdict, of which "the evidence is overwhelming."

and are not swayed by voices and opinions from beyond the courthouse.
But he didn't say that, did he?

The evidence is overwhelming of what? If Biden wasn't implying a verdict then why talk about what a great family George Floyd has? Has Biden also reached out to Chauvin's family? Has he befriended and supported them as well? If he's impartial, then why not? He certainly hasn't mentioned anything about speaking with them. If he's not implying a verdict then why wait until the jury is sequestered? It's ok to let the jury know that the president is praying for them to have sound, fair judgement, but that's not what he was doing. He's praying for the "right" verdict, of which "the evidence is overwhelming."

But he didn't say that, did he?

Ah...I see what the problem is. You didn't actually read what he said correctly. He didn't say that the evidence was overwhelming. He said "I'm praying the verdict is the right verdict. I think it's overwhelming, in my view." It sounds, to me, like he was saying that the pressure on the jurors is overwhelming, not that the evidence is overwhelming.

As for Floyd's family...are you actually saying that Biden's comment "They're a good family and they're calling for peace and tranquility no matter what the verdict is," is somehow pushing for a guilty verdict?

And, yes, I think he did say that. It sounds, to me, like he was saying that the jurors are under tremendous pressure from people beyond the courthouse to rule a particular way, and that he prays that they rule correctly, based on the case that was presented; and that they aren't influenced by those individuals.

Let's see..he said:

"They're a good family and they're calling for peace and tranquility no matter what the verdict is."
"I'm praying the verdict is the right verdict. I think it's overwhelming, in my view. I wouldn't say that unless the jury was sequestered now."

So, he reinforced the calls for peace, regardless of the verdict. He said he hopes the jurors reach the right verdict (one that isn't swayed by outside opinion, but that is based on the facts presented). He said that he was only making that comment because the jurors can't hear it, so it won't affect their decision.

What part of that is dangerous, divisive, or inflammatory? And how is it so?
What part of president Trump's speech was inflammatory and dangerous? When he said "peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard?"

"I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard"

He also said he and the crowd would "walk down to the Capitol" to "cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women."

You can't have it both ways. Biden saying the family wants peace is not going to help bring peace when they don't get the verdict they want and Biden has already made it very clear that he is in the corner of George Floyd's family, which means "the evidence is overwhelming" that Chauvin is guilty.

Ah...I see what the problem is. You didn't actually read what he said correctly. He didn't say that the evidence was overwhelming. He said "I'm praying the verdict is the right verdict. I think it's overwhelming, in my view." It sounds, to me, like he was saying that the pressure on the jurors is overwhelming, not that the evidence is overwhelming.

As for Floyd's family...are you actually saying that Biden's comment "They're a good family and they're calling for peace and tranquility no matter what the verdict is," is somehow pushing for a guilty verdict?

And, yes, I think he did say that. It sounds, to me, like he was saying that the jurors are under tremendous pressure from people beyond the courthouse to rule a particular way, and that he prays that they rule correctly, based on the case that was presented; and that they aren't influenced by those individuals.
Yes he absolutely did say that. Did you read the article? This is a direct quote.

“I’m praying the verdict is the right verdict. The evidence is overwhelming in my view,”

Tell me, if Trump were in office and he spent time getting to know Chauvin's family and talked about what good people they are but had no interaction with Floyd's family and then said “I’m praying the verdict is the right verdict. The evidence is overwhelming in my view” then what verdict do you think he is praying for?

Last edited:
10 hours and counting.

Biden certainly implied a guilty verdict

"I’m praying the verdict is the right verdict, which is -- I think it’s overwhelming, in my view," Biden told reporters in the Oval Office. "I wouldn’t say that unless the -- the jury was sequestered now and not hearing me say that."

Yes he absolutely did say that. Did you read the article? This is a direct quote.

Tell me, if Trump were in office and he spent time getting to know Chauvin's family and talked about what good people they are but had no interaction with Floyd's family and then said “I’m praying the verdict is the right verdict. The evidence is overwhelming in my view” then what verdict do you think he is praying for?

so you posted 2 direct quotes- which one is correct?

as to your question- no idea. Trumpers playe semantics for 5 years and counting.

Attachments

• EUX5aUoXQAU1Mt0.jpg
    EUX5aUoXQAU1Mt0.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

so you posted 2 direct quotes- which one is correct?

as to your question- no idea. Trumpers playe semantics for 5 years and counting.
That's a really good question and I didn't really notice the difference, but I copy/pasted both of them from news articles,. The second one came from the ABC article I originally linked. I'll try to see where the first one came from and see if I can find an actual transcript or video. I still don't think it really matters and that it's obvious to anyone who's looking at it honestly what Biden considers the "right" verdict. At this point you're just splitting hairs as to what he thinks is overwhelming. Even if he's referring to the pressure the jury is under it's obvious he supports a guilty verdict.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom